DC to DCC.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

We made this change about 5 years ago and most emphatically would not go back

First decision - what controller to use? Cost an implication here....

Secondly what vintage are your locos? DCC wont make a loco that runs badly on DC any better, and newer generations of locos will always be easier to chip.

WHat level do you work at? Might a DCC fiited - or sound fitted - loco be a good starting point for you?

Sorry to ask questions but the answers might dictate a path for you. What is your layout like?

If you have any doubts about sound have a look at our layout via the link below - can be excellent esp in diesels - am not so impresssed with steam yet due to synchronisation issues

Kind regards

Phil

As above, the idea that DCC will cure poor running is likely to cost you a lot of time, money and effort, and end in disappointment.

Read up on here about how to clean a) track, b ) wheels, and c) pickups.

Once you have done that, come back and tell us what happened.

Try and find a big show where there might be a few people using different DCC systems. I'm sure if you sak the operators they'll let you have a try. Then you have an idea of the controller you fell happier with.

I didn't but looked at various sites and features for the controllers. Many DCC systems have buttons for changing the speed steps others have a 'classic' rotary knob. My system has a classic knob.

A consideration to make is are your locos DCC ready or will you need to hardwire or get someone to hardwire chips into them. A major outlay can be the cost of the controller and to get DCC ready locos up and running I put in a handful of cheap chips in these - many have had the chips removed and replaced by sound. The cheap chips then get cascaded into controlling items not needing fancy control such as unpowered trailer cars.

Chipping items can be done one at a time as funds permit and then the fleet of oerational items expands.

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of very good advice already given. I particularly endorse the fact that DCC does not solve problems with poor pickup - get the locos running well on DC and you have a good railway to start with, which DCC can then enhance.

Not sure anyone has directly answered your question about how to convert. Assuming you have section switches between the controller and the track, simply turn those all permanently to ON, and connect the output from your DCC system in place of the DC one - job done. Under no circumstances try to partition the layout between DC and DCC controllers at the same time. While logic says it can be done, Murphy's Law says that at some point it will end up with the two systems fighting each other, and the DCC system may well be fatally damaged, as may a decoder or several. Only the truly rich can afford this!

Oldddudders is right.

DCC can be as expensive as you want it to be.

Lots of trains = lots of chips and lots of power. = lots of money.

If you are not sure what to do, check out your local hobby store. People there will be able to give you great advice. You'll see there are many starter sets with a loco and controller. Unfortunately, the UK was late in the DCC NEM standard game so it might be better looking abroad for cheap start set as the Bachmann and Hornby DCC sets are rather limited and pricey for their abilities.

ROCO have used their Maus system based on Lenz, a leading manufacturer, for many years. They offer a basic starteset with power for 5-6 trains to run without problems. You can pick up a startset with Loco, controller and transformer, as well as a complete set of track and (foreign) rolling stock if you are interested for 100-150€. For that you get a fantastic controller that you can use to run your trains, control the functions of the chip and also programme your chips in the future. If you don't want the track or rolling stock, just sell it off on ebay and you'll get your money back. The advantage of a startset is you get a chipped loco and controller ready to use, and Roco is the best of the cheapest German manufacturers.

check out a german online store like haertle.de or mcschueler.de and you can find lots of affordable sets.

If you want to save money and do it yourself, converting trains to DCC is not difficult as long as you observe the basic principles that power in DCC is routed through the chip; 4 wires which mean the chasis has to be isolated. Hornby/Bachamnn chips go for 10-15 quid which you can install yourself, although lighting might be more challenging. I have converted mine to DCC even though my soldering skills leave alot to be desired. and you have fun upgrading your hobby!

Other areas of this forum can explain about split chassis conversions, power usage, etc.

The advantage of DCC over DC is the control of trains lies in the controller not in the track, making double headers, shunting and engine sheds more realistic as various engines can occupy the same rails. They do have running problems, especially soundchips because of the high frequency signals they send through the lines building up crud. It is important to keep the track clean and you shouldn't have a problem.

If your layout is very big, you may find the necessity of boosters, districts and stuff, which does become complicated but for a home layout like mine ( 4,5m x 1,5m OO - lokmaus2 and 1,30m x 85cm N - Bachmann dcc controller) a simple setup with a midrange controller is more than enough.

Have fun.

Archived