Hornby class 90 replacement chassis.

Hello, i have recently got a Model Rail limited edition Virgin Trains class 90002. However when i put the loco on the track it would not run so i am looking for a replacement chassis. I have a full 8 car mk3 rake, which the original class 90 motor cannot pull, so i am looking for a new class 90 chassis with a motor like the ones that are in the Virgin charter relief pack. Does anyone know where i can by the chassis for it.

Guest 40-something

The new style motor may not be able to pull those 8 coaches.

If you'll be regularly pulling that rake you could either transplant the motor and chassis block from a Heljan Hymek or transplant the motor and drive train from a Bachmann Class 158 into one of the coaches, making the loco a dummy.

I'm surprised yours can't pull 8 coaches with a single motor, have you tried adding extra weight...? The simplest way would be to find a second motor bogie, cut the crossmember out at the trailing bogie end, and wire the second motor in. Most of my 90's have two motor bogies, and with a small amount of extra weight, will pull a decent train. I'm sure 90002 has the original design of motor, but made in China and with blackened wheels.

Another alternative would be to fit a re-wheeled Bachmann Warship chassis.

Hello, i have recently got a Model Rail limited edition Virgin Trains class 90002. However when i put the loco on the track it would not run so i am looking for a replacement chassis. I have a full 8 car mk3 rake, which the original class 90 motor cannot pull, so i am looking for a new class 90 chassis with a motor like the ones that are in the Virgin charter relief pack. Does anyone know where i can by the chassis for it.

Are you looking for a new chassis because the original shows no signs of life? If so then there can't be much wrong with it. The motors really are bullet proof.

Archived