Motive power for Camden Shed

That's a lovely model. I'm with you on ivatts duchess. One of these along with 10000 should have been saved.

If you do repaint can I suggest fox transfers totems. They are a lot finer in detail and are the right colour. The pressfix seem to be to yellow in colour.

• Like 1

Drool, drool, drool.... :blum:

I'm really an LM man at heart and they don't come finer that one of Sir William's masterpieces - especially in red! She looks fine to me - depends on how high you want to set your standard versus completing your layout. My Stepfather went on the 'last run' 26.9.64 with 46256 over Shap; 38 years later (2002) and we were both on board with 6233 when she climbed the big hill 5 miles in 5 minutes, still the preservation record for a 12 coach train. Awesome machines.

C'mon - let's see the rest then! (Scots, black 5's, Jubilees (a particular favourite), Patriots et al)

• Like 1

Drool, drool, drool.... :blum:

I'm really an LM man at heart and they don't come finer that one of Sir William's masterpieces - especially in red! She looks fine to me - depends on how high you want to set your standard versus completing your layout. My Stepfather went on the 'last run' 26.9.64 with 46256 over Shap; 38 years later (2002) and we were both on board with 6233 when she climbed the big hill 5 miles in 5 minutes, still the preservation record for a 12 coach train. Awesome machines.

C'mon - let's see the rest then! (Scots, black 5's, Jubilees (a particular favourite), Patriots et al)

Thanks, very kind. I think the terrible photography has done it a favour in not showing up some of the poor finish....

Here is the real thing at the real place from Steven Toogood on Flickr (whose photosteam includes many brilliant shots)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steventoogood53/6726166833/

Patience sir, the others will come in good time. I've not built all of them yet! There are 5-6 to show in various states from completed but not weathered to all done.

I did pick up a brand new 46146 The Rifle Brigade on eBay last week for a very good price, so that might be another to look at soon.

Iain

Edited by 92220

71000 Duke of Gloucester

This was a regular at Camden although shedded at 5A Crewe North throughout. I have pictures of 71000 at Camden in 61 and 62 before it was put in store in the latter part of 62 at Crewe. Its usual turn out of Euston was the Mid-day Scot.

This model was built from the Golden Arrow resin body, on a China built tender drive Britannia chassis. It was one of the first models I built. Some bits worked out well - Jackson Evans Britannia smoke deflectors were cut down to the right size and these make a difference. JE spectacle surrounds. Some additions to the caprotti gear and so on.

But.... I didn't have a BR1J tender at the time so compromised with a D.

The front windows fogged up as I used cyano.....

Some parts of the handrails etc didn't go on absolutely true.

Painting was better than on Sir William but the footplate lining was not easy on the GA moulding with its raised edges. I never got around to weathering it.

It looks sort of like DoG but it had many shortcomings, and I was all lined up to make a "perfect" hybrid using a variety of parts picked up cheaply:

New Hornby Brit loco drive chassis

3 partly damaged Hornby new China Brit bodies to be cut and shut

GA body and BR1J tender body

Crownline DoG conversion kit with bespoke deflectors, double chimney, BR1J etched sides, lost wax Caprotti gear, etched front end detailing and etched cylinder and cam box covers

Hornby's announcement yesterday means I will definitely get one of the new DoG models and add whatever details are necessary at the time. There is no way that I will get a cut-n-shut hybrid to look as good as their basic body, so even if it needs work it ought still to be better.

Iain

post-10140-0-32539700-1355830578_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-87235700-1355830602_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-04510800-1355830625_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-06007100-1355830641_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-73678900-1355830667_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-11447800-1355830712_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-79185800-1355830767_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Iain,

No doubt it looks like 71000. I quite like it and I think you've made a damn fine fist of it give its origins!

Can be a bit of a sickener when an RTR version of something you've slaved many hours over is suddenly announced, but you don't sound too upset. I'd be tempted however to give her a good coat of grime (if you're going for 1961-2) and stick with what you've got and at least have the satisfaction of 'I made that'. Afterall, there's goin to be loads of layouts with RTR DoGs in the coming years! Spend your pennies on something you don't already have perhaps?

• Like 2

Thanks, I think you're being very kind! To be honest I always looked at this one as a bit of a learning experience. It looks more like DoG than a 4F, but just a quick look at the pre-release photos of the upcoming Hornby one has definitely convinced me - I'm definitely not upset by the announcement! It will need a BR1J tender and probably some slight changes to pipe work etc to date it back to 1962, plus bogie wheels, weathering and so on......so it won't just be removed from the box and run.

I enjoyed building this one, but unless something drastic happens it won't make the cut, weathered or not.

Iain

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Further info on the Hornby DoG is enough for me to think that it will provide the basis for a much better model. I'm not bothered about the design clever bit - the boiler, firebox, smokebox and cab seem to be the right size and shape, the chassis will run superbly given it is the same as a Brit and the Caprotti gear looks excellent. I would replace the pipework, deflectors and handrails anyway, and I'll need to sort out a BR1J tender.

On to another, completed as far as it is now nearly two years ago.

73139 Caprotti Standard 5

This was converted from the Bachmann model. I numbered it before I decided to model a prototype location in Camden. So ideally I would now renumber it to represent one of the Caprotti 5's that may have occasionally ventured down the WCML with a train from Manchester (many were shedded at Patricroft) or from North Wales. 73139 was shedded at Rowsley in the time period I'm modelling so it might as well have been on the island of Sodor.....

The caprotti gear was scratchbuilt from various diameters of brass tube and rod, as well as a few scraps of white metal castings filed patiently to size and profile. The lubricators were resited to the rear half of the running plate (underneath) and a lubricator drive scratchbuilt out of brass fret waste. I've used a copy of the Tony Wright loco-tender coupling out of 0.45 nickel silver wire, and the cab doors are Brassmasters, fixed prototypically to the tender.

The steam pipes are a fraction narrow, and I will at some point redo them, but otherwise I am quite happy with this one. Oh, and I carefully and somewhat fancifully lagged the rhs injector pipe with fine masking tape, which looks quite good once weathered, and is a feature of many standard 5's, but wasn't correct for 73139. Or any Caprotti 5 I've seen since. I have also got hold of an etched and painted smokebox numberplate, though haven't added it because of the renumbering.

So a couple of things to rectify, but overall reasonably complete.

Iain

post-10140-0-64918500-1365239051_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-16528300-1365239070_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-03761400-1365239095_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-56506500-1365239108_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-62174600-1365239188_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Iain,

Really like your latest offering and am tempted to have a go myself, though I've an unbuilt DJH kit somewhere in the house. Also am taken with the Ivatt Duchess and hope I can build mine as well as yours when I get around to it. Was termpted by the Golden Arrows DoG but as Hornby are producing it, won't bother now. Look forward to more offerings in the near future.

Regards

Philip

Thanks Philip. As you can see I agree about DoG and am actually looking forward to doing whatever alterations might be needed. I did begin a Crownline Caprotti standard 5 before doing this and may return to it sometime. I'd certainly recommend the Bachmann one as a starting point if you do go down that route. There are a couple more on here somewhere. The Ivatt Duchess modification kit from Comet is superb in my opinion.

Jol - I know you'd like me to backdate it a few (50) years! There will be at least one of London Road's offerings on here eventually, though slightly obviously the 3F tank.

Unless I'm much mistaken, none of those on the link are viable for 1960 are they?!?

Iain

• Like 1

Iain,

sadly all the LNWR locos were scrapped by the mid 50's,  Cauliflowers being one of the last to go. Only a very few were preserved. It's most unlikely that those, notably Hardwicke or the Coal Tank, would have been seen at Camden in the 60's.

Jol

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Iain,

sadly all the LNWR locos were scrapped by the mid 50's,  Cauliflowers being one of the last to go. Only a very few were preserved. It's most unlikely that those, notably Hardwicke or the Coal Tank, would have been seen at Camden in the 60's.

Jol

Even the "Super D" G2 0-8-0S?

Even the "Super D" G2 0-8-0S?

Possibly, George.

I had overlooked them. I believe that Super D usually refers to the G2As. They were converted in 1935 from G1s according to Talbot so I always think of them as LMS locos.

Jol

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Possibly, George.

I had overlooked them. I believe that Super D usually refers to the G2As. They were converted in 1935 from G1s according to Talbot so I always think of them as LMS locos.

Jol

Very unlikely to see a 'Duck Eight' south of Willesden in that period in my experience of shedding bashing and travelling the dc lines in the early '60s and the biggest concentration of them at the south end of the WCML by then was at Bletchley.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an ongoing project.

For a song, I got hold of a long wheelbase China Hornby Black 5 that had been almost destroyed. The motor was alive but there were no pickups or wiring. Valve gear, slidebars, crossheads and connecting rods were notable by their complete absence. The wheels were not on square and the tops of the cylinders were damaged. The body was battered and bruised, especially at the front, and had gouges along the footplate. The chimney was damaged too, and there was no tender.

However, most of the body was intact, and I just had an idea that it could be made into a low running plate Caprotti Black 5. This will become 44741, a singe chimney non-roller bearing example with straight steampipes, and the subject of a few photos at Euston and Camden. Subsequent events have convinced me that it would have been much easier, quicker and less painful to just build the Comet kit and be done with it. But I might have built a chassis like a banana, and there is something bizarrely satisfying about building something out of a lost cause with relatively little outlay.

Body stripped and placed on top of the chassis. I used Comet connecting rods, cross head and sidebars, plus some nickel silver fretted out to make a motion support bracket similar to what Brassmasters supply, but not as neat:

post-10140-0-31959200-1375908734_thumb.jpg

Home made pickups:

post-10140-0-92268300-1375908962_thumb.jpg

Circles cut from which to make the splashers:

post-10140-0-40117300-1375909111_thumb.jpg

First effort at adding the footplate and splashers:

post-10140-0-82764200-1375909940_thumb.jpg

Discarded....

I spent a lot of time with bits of plastic, cutting, fettling, filing, discarding, repeat ad nauseam.

Progress through adding various bits and pieces is below:

post-10140-0-88834400-1375909958_thumb.jpg

This bit is complex because the cam box and associated structures must be able to separate when the body is removed from the chassis. I think I managed a sensible solution here, but the steam pipes at the front will need a lot of care.

post-10140-0-14280000-1375909979_thumb.jpg

Sandbox fillers leftover from the 46256 build; 0.7mm copper wire for the water feed pipe; Gibson bogie wheels on a modified Hornby bogie; Comet LMS strap steps, Caprotti gearboxes, Black 5 single chimney etc

post-10140-0-71309600-1375909997_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-79529900-1375910015_thumb.jpg

A leftover Brassmasters buffer beam and chequerplate steps, plus rescued buffer stocks (it's squarer than the perspective appears, although it isn't perfect and will need altering)

post-10140-0-12020600-1375909917_thumb.jpg

A fair bit still to do but I'm glad I brought it with me to do while the rain descended on holiday today!

Iain

• Like 13

Thanks Steve, it needs a fair bit of refinement still, but I hope it might turn out ok.

Jol - it was too neat in those days for my measly skills...!

Iain

Iain,

methinks you do protest too much. I wouldn't even contemplate doing what you are to that Black 5.

Jol

I'll be able to, and need to, camouflage all sorts of ills by the time it's finished though!

Who knows, maybe one day I could backdate the layout temporarily to provide some background for some LMS or LNWR era shots. But a lot changed in the thirties and forties so it might not even be possible to find a vantage point that was uncompromised. Also, I fear my track might be errr....about 2.33mm too narrow for your wonderful locos and stock?!?

I think I could plausibly do any time from about 1950 to 1963 with the addition of suitable locos and stock. There was no steam servicing beyond that so the ash pits etc would have looked very different. I'm sticking to 1960-62 for now.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress on the Caprotti Black 5:

post-10140-0-38625200-1377359498_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-80868300-1377359765_thumb.jpg

I've added the steam pipes, cam boxes (reattached this time to the cylinders and chassis not the footplate), and the reverser (0.7mm brass rod). The steam pipes have a small piece of wire drilled and glued, which then locates into a similar sized hole on the smokebox, to aid alignment and strength. The water feed pipe under the running plate will join to the injectors when I've finished.

And yes, the front buffer beam is still not square!

Iain

• Like 5

I've also done a load to 46248 City of Leeds. I was thinking of renumbering and renaming this to 46245 City of London, but Leeds was a regular at Camden as well so I've got an excuse to do another. And another.....

First thing was to get the chassis to run properly since the b2b was about 14.0.

I used the Comet detailing kit and a few added bits and pieces as follows:

New sandboxes and fillers, new handrails (Gibson, much finer than Hornby items), cab doors.

post-10140-0-68241500-1377366319_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-24306200-1377366285_thumb.jpg

Rear frame extensions ready for new trailing truck.

post-10140-0-70653400-1377366296_thumb.jpgn

I removed the Hornby loco-tender connection, and replaced it with a Comet electrical one plus a Tony Wright "hook and goalpost" made from nickel silver wire. This makes a much more realistic gap.

post-10140-0-64821800-1377366762_thumb.jpg

Front bogie trimmed to remove the obese lump, added Gibson front bogie wheels, Comet AWS bashplate, Exactoscale screw link coupling and Comet deflectors. Comet vacuum valves and some 0.7mm wire for the pipe. Brassmasters draincocks.

Still needs a bit more touching up and then weathering, coaling and a crew adding. Also waiting for some replacement front steps.

post-10140-0-56850100-1377367101_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-96285800-1377367137_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 6