Motive power for Camden Shed

• RMweb Premium

Cut the front plate on my Hornby Dublo Duchess, Romford wheels fitted. Neodinium Magnet fitted.. it still doesn't look as good as the latest offerings .. but it can pull a house down!2079345665_HornbyDubloDuchess(1280x272).jpg.06cd84c4a9e260f38e340ea95b6459ed.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Cut the front plate on my Hornby Dublo Duchess, Romford wheels fitted. Neodinium Magnet fitted.. it still doesn't look as good as the latest offerings .. but it can pull a house down!2079345665_HornbyDubloDuchess(1280x272).jpg.06cd84c4a9e260f38e340ea95b6459ed.jpg

This is such familiar territory for me. Really nice job there, Barry. That looks exactly the same spec as a number of my pacifics, but your paint job is definitely superior to mine! And I certainly endorse your comments about the use of neodymium magnets; they are VERY effective. The old H/D valve gear/ motion also looks very good too. Even if it's not quite accurate, I believe it still looks very good, and as for pulling power, 14 bogies.... no sweat.

Terry D

• Thanks 1

I know Terry sent me some information as to how he did the conversion, and I will be referring back to that as things progress. I now have a Comet chassis kit, and have assembled the mainframes on to a pair of their chassis jigs, for a trial fit. It looks not too bad, slotted into the under-side of the H/D body, so I am hoping that fixing the chassis itself when properly assembled, won't be too challenging a task. But then comes the valve gear! I do recall someone suggesting the use of Markits crossheads instead of Comet, due to their smoother operation. 

23 hours ago, MacDuff999 said:

I know Terry sent me some information as to how he did the conversion, and I will be referring back to that as things progress. I now have a Comet chassis kit, and have assembled the mainframes on to a pair of their chassis jigs, for a trial fit. It looks not too bad, slotted into the under-side of the H/D body, so I am hoping that fixing the chassis itself when properly assembled, won't be too challenging a task. But then comes the valve gear! I do recall someone suggesting the use of Markits crossheads instead of Comet, due to their smoother operation. 

I agree with you about being reluctant to use Comet crossheads. The major snag with them is that several components have to be soldered together and then when you try to attach the connecting rods so that they pivot OK, you run the risk of unsoldering the previously attached bits! I have used some crossheads (lost wax castings, origins uncertain!) and I would guess that the Markits ones are similar. Being one piece castings, you aren't at risk of them coming to bits when attaching the conrods, or the drop links.

Happy constructing!

Terry

• Informative/Useful 1

I find Comet crossheads require quite a lot of fettling both for the connecting rod little end joint, and to run smoothly on the slidebars.  They are quite hard (although not the hardest I’ve seen) lost wax brass components, so they take a while.

If you have a good quality flat needle file that is the perfect thickness, the grooves for the slidebars could be filed fairly quickly but you’d still need to take care.  They need the drop links soldered on but this is still a bigger joint over a larger area than soldering the brass pin for the union link (?) to that, so really shouldn’t be an issue.  The piston rods need a little tidying up, more if you do what I do and insert the piston rod into some brass tube soldered into the cylinder, which I find gives much smoother running and a more realistic look.

Markits  LMS crossheads are beautifully smoothly machined, with matching perfectly smooth piston and tube.  Although it’s a while since I last used them, as I recall, you do need to trim the top layer of the connecting rod short of the little end so that you can insert it between the inner and outer layers of the crosshead.  You need to alter the Comet slidebars only to use one layer thickness rather than laminating two together.  This is a little fiddly because the Comet ones are designed around being assembled as two laminated layers.  Once done there is very little fettling and cleaning. Markits sell bespoke drop links for different locos.

On balance I would say Markits ones are marginally less work in total, neater and smoother.  Also they are more expensive.

Comet fettled and with brass tube

EDAF0032-1A68-4C18-9D1A-86D58A9E7F1A.jpeg.9e2add92083251be45a1e00913dff960.jpeg

Comet on 46145

9906FA53-ACCC-42B9-BB1F-3B16515B6E1A.jpeg.3cea91a3f82593fb9908bbcc5e36c65a.jpeg

Markits on 46245

CC455450-4FD1-47F4-A85A-C1B2D4F17D4B.jpeg.a7a34ef6fe9df5811da5491826e4c84b.jpeg

Iain

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

46251 City of Nottingham awaiting delivery of etched plates.  Otherwise finished and ready for weathering etc.  I removed some of the awful rtr weathering with t cut and then gave it 3 coats of Klear:  I think it turned out ok?

B3E7742A-4AF7-4D80-8C20-AE2483C79C84.jpeg.1d1013d0ae80f005b08ae13f36181941.jpeg

Iain

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 92220 said:

46251 City of Nottingham awaiting delivery of etched plates.  Otherwise finished and ready for weathering etc.  I removed some of the awful rtr weathering with t cut and then gave it 3 coats of Klear:  I think it turned out ok?

Iain

Inspirational. So tempted to give up this afternoons track maintenance and have a go at my own 46251 instead. Is that the new style rear frame fitted to the original chassis or complete chassis replacement ? :)

Thank you Mike.

I fitted the new rear frames to an existing Hornby chassis I had.  I could have used the Comet extensions but I had this Hornby one in a drawer and went for it. The chassis came from under 46248, but I had made mistakes adding lead so the body and chassis were no longer compatible.  Hence I made Comet frames for 46248, sold the chassis for 46251 and mated these two plus Comet bogie.  Plenty of extra work went on but in the end I have another half decent Coronation for not much.  It will pull 10 including 5 kits quite happily so this will do fine.  

Iain

• Like 5

Hi, I don't know how I came across this thread, but I've just spent a couple pf hours reading it.  I'm absolutely amazed at the building quality you achieve.  Not only in the detail but also the tremendous pulling power.

I'm new to the hobby with nothing running yet, but I've acquired quite a bit of stock and fitted lighting to all my coaches, including putting a red LED in a "springside" tail lamp.  I'm now going to have a go at kit building.  I've ordered a Comet 4F chassis for starters , although I have no mechanical leanings, so to speak.  I like the 4F but the tender driven ones have no pulling power, so hopefully a white metal kit on this will address that.

I've just ordered an etch bender, my first step on the kit building road.  I doubt I'll reach your standards but will certainly try, so be ready for lots of pleas for help LOL!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

On 29/05/2017 at 21:27, farren said:

I presume you have this photo already

post-12485-0-65559700-1496089636.png

@farren By any chance, do you have a date for this photo?  
Trying to work out when 45034 had mudhole covers and when it didn’t.  

I think this photo below is probably in 1960-61 ish - AWS fitted but no warnings for overhead electric cables was my reasoning.  
I’ve fitted AWS to 45034 but I haven’t removed the mudhole covers.

42CBE723-1DD9-4DAB-A816-4BA08B5C023E.jpeg.00d1f291099c4c1d7a774eca42666e83.jpeg

Iain

image.jpeg

Edited by 92220

• 2 months later...

A query regarding tenders gents. I have started work on a DJH Ivatt version of the 'Coronation' class, and am unsure which way up the tender base plate should go. The narrower ends of the triangular? support plates along the base plate edges are half-etched along the sides of one face of the brass base plate etch. Am I right in assuming that these should be on the under-side of the base plate? Nothing in the usual Loco Profile book drawings makes it clear. Advice please. Thanks.   

On my Black 5s I have them underneath but if you want confirmation  google LMS Duchess tenders (images) there are some pics on there that clearly show the support plates underneath.

Pete

• Like 1

On 09/05/2021 at 13:36, 92220 said:

Iain

That looks terrrific, especially without the awful factory weathering.

Is the Kleer brushed on or sprayed, I ask as spraying doesn't seem to work that well for me.

Many thanks,

John.

11 hours ago, MacDuff999 said:

A query regarding tenders gents. I have started work on a DJH Ivatt version of the 'Coronation' class, and am unsure which way up the tender base plate should go. The narrower ends of the triangular? support plates along the base plate edges are half-etched along the sides of one face of the brass base plate etch. Am I right in assuming that these should be on the under-side of the base plate? Nothing in the usual Loco Profile book drawings makes it clear. Advice please. Thanks.   

10 hours ago, cb900f said:

On my Black 5s I have them underneath but if you want confirmation  google LMS Duchess tenders (images) there are some pics on there that clearly show the support plates underneath.

Pete

Yes, Pete is correct.

3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

That looks terrrific, especially without the awful factory weathering.

Is the Kleer brushed on or sprayed, I ask as spraying doesn't seem to work that well for me.

Many thanks,

John.

just brushed on John.  1/2” flat brush.  

Iain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just started work on the DJH Model Loco Ivatt variant of the Stanier 'Coronation', and noticed the instructions mention use of 26mm drivers. Surely the class driving wheel diameter was 6'9"? Or was the kit designed for slightly smaller wheels?  

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MacDuff999 said:

Just started work on the DJH Model Loco Ivatt variant of the Stanier 'Coronation', and noticed the instructions mention use of 26mm drivers. Surely the class driving wheel diameter was 6'9"? Or was the kit designed for slightly smaller wheels?  

Classic kit designers' conundrum. Given that the wheels will have over-sized flanges (exc P4 possibly), what measurement should one use? Anything oversized will probably cause problems somewhere.

In service, wheels could reduce in size by as much as 3" diameter due to wear before being replaced.

• Agree 1