HST exhaust deflectors

DavidB

I was taking a look at FGW's shiny ex-works power car 43070 this morning and was surprised to see that it has a shorter exhaust deflector than usual, with only the front two panels in place and the rearmost panel missing, leaving the chunky oval exhausts exposed. I've not paid much attention to the deflectors since they were originally fitted, but I've now seen that 43033 and 43042 also have the same shorter deflectors, while all of the other FGW power cars that I've seen today have the original full length deflectors.

Is this a new modification, and if so, what is it designed to achieve? The exhaust gases now seem to be free to pass over or under the deflector, so presumably this would negate the original intention of allowing cleaner air under the deflector in order to lift the exhaust fumes higher and so keep the windscreen and roof dome cleaner. Or is it that the MTU engines are so much cleaner than the smoky Valentas that the full deflectors are no longer needed? Or have I simply missed the point and this is nothing more than a maintenance issue - ie these three power cars are just awaiting the re-fitting of the missing panel?

Many thanks in advance

David

I noticed the same on Saturday, unfortunately I saw 43033 and 43070 the same as you , it doesnt look like its temporary though because the deflector is one piece so they have been shortened by the same amount.

Edit,

A couple of pictures-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46912176@N06/8261303097/in/photostream/

And a close up-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46912176@N06/8262373046/in/photostream/

I noticed the same on Saturday, unfortunately I saw 43033 and 43070 the same as you , it doesnt look like its temporary though because the deflector is one piece so they have been shortened by the same amount.

Edit,

A couple of pictures-

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

And a close up-

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

East Coast and XC power cars have had them removed. with the MTU engine there is no real need for them. The do suffer from fractures along the leading edge, which propergate to the exhaust openings in the deflectors.

Al Taylor

43169 was so treated as part of a trial a couple of years ago. The trial would look at the external effects of removing the third section and some monitoring was done. As Al suggested, the removal fo this section will ease maintenance tasks in an area that is prone to cracking.

43169 was so treated as part of a trial a couple of years ago. The trial would look at the external effects of removing the third section and some monitoring was done. As Al suggested, the removal fo this section will ease maintenance tasks in an area that is prone to cracking.

Many thanks Gents - much appreciated. I love the fact that there are so many detail differences across what used to be a pretty standard fleet years ago. They've come a long way from the mould-breakingly sporty Paxman-powered blue and grey 2+7s of my Didcot spotting days back in the long hot summer of August 1976.....but they're still a class act. I'll miss them when they finally bow out (although I don't disagree with Royaloak's tag line either!).

David

That's an interesting variaton, looks a little odd for sure.

As an aside, is 43070 one of the most travelled/repainted power cars of all? As well as carrying probably all the Intercity variations, looks like on flickr photos it was an ECML pc in the late 80's, then worked for Virgin XC, then transferred to Midland Mainline (as part of project rio presumably) and now with First Great Western! It carried Eversholt Rail livery in 06 as well.

I make that 3 versions of Intercity, Virgin, MML, Eversholt and FGW, 7 liveries!

That's an interesting variaton, looks a little odd for sure.

As an aside, is 43070 one of the most travelled/repainted power cars of all? As well as carrying probably all the Intercity variations, looks like on flickr photos it was an ECML pc in the late 80's, then worked for Virgin XC, then transferred to Midland Mainline (as part of project rio presumably) and now with First Great Western! It carried Eversholt Rail livery in 06 as well.

I make that 3 versions of Intercity, Virgin, MML, Eversholt and FGW, 7 liveries!

still think the IC Swift was the best livery

The exhaust deflectors take quite a hammering and where the cut outs for the ports are , you naturally get two weak spots where it'll eventually fail:

post-6893-0-29736200-1355256797_thumb.jpg

Jon

great picture

Two points.

One. I now work next to the Great Western near Didcot and since reading this post, every time a HST goes past, I'm trying to catch a glimpse of a power car with a short exhaust deflector. I think I may have seen one on Friday.

Two. With regard to HST livery, I've always thought the original livery was the best, I never liked the IC Swift and most of the privatisation liveries are dreadful. However, I've warmed to the current First Great Western, I think they look great.

Right, back to watching HST's and looking for short deflectors.

Archived