Traction 208

18B

TRACTION issue 208 was on sale fron Friday 7th December and features the following articles:

Boston Blues

Paul Nash takes us back to the days of BR blue at this Lincolnshire junction

The Co-Co prototypes

Colin Boocock explains that, as British Railway’s traction modernisation proceeded, the key UK manufacturers tried hard to sell new locomotive designs to BR.

Tour report: ‘Western Champion’ on Grayrigg and Shap

Jon Littlewood reports about the exploits of D1015 Western Champion on Grayrigg and Shap

1963 Review of the Year

J Crosse looks back 50 years at progress on the BR Modernisation Plan

Toton Times – Wednesday 11th December 1991: Part 1

Alexander Fisher uses official BR documents to show a typical day at a major diesel depot

Once on a Saturday morning

Scott Cunningham took his camera out by the line side around Dundee in 1991

Lancaster Green Ayre and Carnforth

Former locomotive man Ken Nuttall recalls the years when steam was replaced by diesel motive power at these two North West sheds.

TRACTION MODELLING

06008-A Barclay Class 06 in 7mm scale

Jeff Nicholls describes building a Judith edge kit, which is also available in 4mm scale

Rarely Modelled

Paul Lunn suggests a simple detailing job to a diesel shunter kit

Loch Oran

David Harrison built this N gauge layout, which was inspired by the scenery and railways of the Scottish Highlands

Readers’ book offer

Now long out of print, “Diesel Pioneers – the British Rail Diesel Fleet up to 1970′ has now been reprinted and is available at a very special price for readers and subscribers (both existing and new). The book contains a detailed and authorative text backed up with superb archive colour photographs.

See the advert in the magazine for details of how to order

• 3 weeks later...

Toton Times – Wednesday 11th December 1991: Part 1

Alexander Fisher uses official BR documents to show a typical day at a major diesel depot

I proof read these articles and they are excellent and an insight which most of us would never get otherwise :)

I also really enjoyed the Toton article, Alex has done a fantastic job. Very interesting and I am very much looking forward to part 2.

Thank you for the comments,

I was unsure how such a long article would be received, with part two it comesto 19 sides! a huge articel by most magazine standards. A huge thank you must go to the editor for allowing me the space to write such an in depth article.

I rather enjoyed the Toton article, reading through it however makes you wonder how on earth BR managed to operate.  Now I'm a fan of state owned railways but here is a (classic???) example of their shortcomings, 

Without wanting to start a controversial argument, I would proffer the suggestion that it wasn't through want of trying on the BR management side that modernisation and more efficient working took so long. Take second manning of trains until the Train man concept came in. The unions fought to retain Secondmen on "Safety" grounds, despite it being proved that distractions in the cab, Secondmen included, were a contributory aspect in many accidents. There were many many fine men (and women) who worked on the railways, some of my past family may hopefully be included in that group, but there were also those however, as there were in many industries, who dragged their feet and perhaps possibly the unions should be recognised for both their fine work and their ability, in some cases, to hold BR back to antiquated working practices. For example the road to single manning was a hard fought battle that took years longer than it needed to have. Yes the article points out many inefficiencies, but to blame solely BR would be harsh.  

• RMweb Gold

I agree, hence why I wondered how they operated (from senior manager to depot somebody) As you suggest I'm sure that this state of affairs must of taken years to develop and in the long run while everyone protected their own interests no one came out a winner.... no one at all.

Archived