New Southwich

Grimleygrid

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

I haven't spent much time on the layout recently due to an overload of revision, however I have done some more ballasting and have altered the PCAs couplings. Using paper clips and the original slots for the oversized nem coupling, I've made up a small hook and oval to close couple the PCAs. It really is incredible how different the models now look, and they can even cross a point without derailing, who knew eh??!!

Original couplings:

17044287706_17fc01a6b1_z.jpgClose coupled PCAs by southwichrailway, on Flickr

Close coupled:

16884044419_a2e27792ca_z.jpgClose coupled PCAs by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16882716230_b042fed3e3_z.jpgClose coupled PCAs by southwichrailway, on Flickr

17068779052_461846347e_z.jpgClose coupled PCAs by southwichrailway, on Flickr

16882718340_edd17b4eb7_z.jpgClose coupled PCAs by southwichrailway, on Flickr

The cement works is starting to fill up!

Finally a new arrival in the shape of another lafarge bogie cement tank taking the total to six. Quite a nice rake me thinks:

16833861117_39faccb8e0_z.jpg60091 on Lafarge cement tanks at New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

17015276706_6ccd532ca5_z.jpg60091 on Lafarge cement tanks at New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

No real progress as such on the layout, doubt there will be any until after my exams in two months times. However something new has arrived at New Southwich:

17177256402_a4ee5894e6_z.jpgGrand Central HST arrives at New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

17178901665_ed6fe7fffd_z.jpgGrand Central HST arrives at New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

17178900095_974c25ba5e_z.jpgGrand Central HST arrives at New Southwich by southwichrailway, on Flickr

Whilst I only have the two power cars and the buffet, I'm currently looking for three second class coaches and one first class coach, so if anyone can point me in any direction of these items it would be much appreciated as they're very rare to come by and can go for an arm and a leg on eBay! Very pleased with them though, the matt black livery looks very smart on the HST!

Thanks for looking,

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Whilst I apologise for the lack of updates at the moment, unfortunately exams have to take priority. Today I have tackled one of the biggest problems with the layout the poor connections and running over the curved board. I have decided due to the poor construction and awful running to start afresh. I've made the frame and cut the tops:

17403805411_0a084b8282_z.jpgNew Southwich-redoing the scenic section by Southwich Railway, on Flickr<script async src="//widgets.flickr.com/embedr/embedr.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm still undecided on whether to include a bridge on the curved section where the pine sections lay over the ply, so any ideas and comments are much appreciated!

Finally a photo of locos in the cement siding:

17404182505_1740ece673_z.jpg60036 and 60078 stabled at New Southwich by Southwich Railway, on Flickr<script async src="//widgets.flickr.com/embedr/embedr.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Any feedback is more than appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

Realy need to get myself ex-mainline blue (ews) 60 now Will like yours :locomotive:

You do Neil its a beast! Although not mine.....;)

A small update from tonight is that I've decided to go back to the curved board idea, and have cut the top sheet of ply ready to go on sometime this week. However with GCSEs unfortunately it's a little hectic! Afterwards I can spend eight hours a day on model railways, what a luxury!

Thanks for looking,

Will

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all,

Sadly there is still no progress on the layout, however I'm into the last two weeks of my exams meaning afterwards I can turn my focus to the layout. Yesterday I took a few photos of the layout in it's current state.

The list of jobs still to do are as follows:

-Relay track and ballast on the third board.

-Finish the warehouse.

-Finish ballasting.

-Add the fencing.

-Scenics.

So a lot more to do in the near future! 

Thanks,

Will

post-20114-0-64052400-1433324233.jpg

post-20114-0-69108800-1433324241.jpg

post-20114-0-17311800-1433324248.jpg

• 2 months later...

A long time with no update on progress at New Southwich however I have decided to move on from New Soithwich as it didn't seem to 'flow' with derailings occurring far too often. There were also basic elements of the layout which I would do differently now so I thought it was time to move on. I've kept the silos and buildings for the layout so I hope one day I can rebuild New Southwich. Until then I have started a new thread, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100401-motts-lane/#ipboard_body , to show the progress on my new layout.

Thanks,

Will

A long time with no update on progress at New Southwich however I have decided to move on from New Soithwich as it didn't seem to 'flow' with derailings occurring far too often. There were also basic elements of the layout which I would do differently now so I thought it was time to move on. I've kept the silos and buildings for the layout so I hope one day I can rebuild New Southwich. Until then I have started a new thread, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100401-motts-lane/#ipboard_body , to show the progress on my new layout.

Thanks,

Will

Sorry to hear this, Will. Still, it's all part of the continuous learning process we all go through and you'll be much better equipped to decide what you want next time round..

Good luck with the new venture. I'll be watching!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Will,

I hope you could save some of the track and points, be a shame to have to chuck the whole lot.

All the best with the new layout. I will click on the link later and go have a look.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Will,

I hope you could save some of the track and points, be a shame to have to chuck the whole lot.

All the best with the new layout. I will click on the link later and go have a look.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter! I managed to save most of the flexi track which was helpful but the points were the main problem because I didn't build them actually on the boards. Won't be doing that again!

Sorry to hear this, Will. Still, it's all part of the continuous learning process we all go through and you'll be much better equipped to decide what you want next time round..

Good luck with the new venture. I'll be watching!

Cheers,

Dave

I definitely think you're right there Dave I've learnt a lot from New Southwich and whilst it's sad to see it go I think it was the right decision and I've certainly learnt from it!

Will

Archived