'Abbot's Bridge' (72G)

georgeT

Just thought while l was building the station building and signal box for AndrewPs 'Trebudoc' l would make a start on the building's for my own proposed 0'gauge southern country terminus, in the late 50's, and have a break from building locomotive's.

So a start has been made with the loco shed, it is only a small single road shed, only small tank engine's being serviced, coaled and watered, with possibly a small inspection pit just inside, also l will put a water tank on top of small out house on one side of the shed and a mess/stores room on the other,

It will be the first time l have ever built a layout in O' gauge, l must say that l have been inspired by andy's Trebudoc, l'm hoping that when l have finished the building's for Andy he will come up north and do all the scenic's on 'Abbot's Mead'.

The plan behind the layout, is that there is an abbey about a mile from the station, and the abbot's bring on horse and cart the Mead they have made in the abbey in big barrel's, to sell to other abbey's in the london area, and so need to transport the mead by train once a week.

Passenger service's will consist of a push-pull one coach train, with '02' or 'M7' providing the power, and a light good's train once a day, but that's a long way off just yet.

georgeT

post-7716-0-04070500-1355159790_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-44160200-1355159800_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-91977900-1355159813_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-03615400-1355159826_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-50670900-1355159839_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-66598200-1355159851_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-16990200-1355159865_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-32114100-1355159879_thumb.jpg

Have done a little bit more to the engine shed for 'Abbot's Mead', it need's a water tank made to sit on top of the out house, with a little workshop under it,

The plywood is on 2mm thick, so it need supporting with rib's inside, these were best glued using superglue, the glue hold's it all together very quickly when the structure is assembled and dry, l then coat everywhere with PVA, and when it all dried it is very strong indeed,and very light.

The plywood is very easy to cut and sand, the roof will be covered with very strong double-sided tape, the tile's will be cut out of good card and stuck on one by one, very boring but effective, l need to cover the whole shed with DAS clay then scribe all the stone work on.

georgeT

post-7716-0-37044300-1355220898_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-10830400-1355220910_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-81248700-1355220921_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-41041300-1355220938_thumb.jpg

Love that George, glad to here you are building a layout in O. This is a great start and I look forward to helping you just as you have with the buildings on Trebudoc,

IT MUST BE DCC MATE, it is the only way to go. How bid it is it going to be mate?

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

George, thanks for referring me to this thread of yours. Watching your work here and Trebudoc is going to give me loads of ideas and, more importantly, teach me some "new tricks".

Thanks very much!

Jeff

Steve. Have a go with the 2mm plywood, it's great easy to cut and sand, it's very flimsy at first but when you brace it all up and the glue set it's solid........

Don. Thank you for the kind word's give's encouragement for my next building.......

Andy. Really don't think l could afford DCC and SOUND, never know one day perhap's ? trouble is, l now have ten O gauge loco's, so that's a gaugemaster controller £250 + (10x) Sound chip's at £120 that's £1,450 lot of dosh...........

Jeff. Thank's for the e-mail, doubt very much that l could teach you anything, having looked at your cracking layout, but it nice to talk with you at last, l have been reading the banter between you and my buddy Andrew P, PS love the trackwork on your layout, must have taken age's well done.........

georgeT

Hello Peter, You are spot on there, l remember when sound first came out a few year's ago l had a small diesel depot layout, and about six sound loco's, it was good a first but when you have heard a 37 start-up a hundred time's it become's a bit boring and even cheesy, l found l was more worried about why the class 60's light's were not on,or why has the 33 has stopped ticking over, in the end it seem's to take away the play element, so if you have a nice two hour play with your train's about ninety minute's wasted making sure everything is working ?

georgeT

Peter, You will have to drag my O2' out first, she's had her fire dropped, as the shed staff have a bit of work to do on her when she's cold, also she has a NOT TO BE MOVED disc on her (HaHa), also l measured the shed up around her.....

georgeT

post-7716-0-48624500-1355328736_thumb.jpg

Hi George, some tanks had curved roofs, not sure about yours but if no roof was fitted then you will most certantly see the cross suppot beams that keep the sides level from the weight of the water, hope this helps a little, Garry

Alan. l started out with foam board, but l quickly found out that it warp's over time, and ruining your hard work, not only that it's hard to stick together, when you are building something you don't want to be waiting forever for the glue to dry, with the method l am now using the part's stick together instantly...

Bob. With the plywood l cut it very easily with a stanley knife (the snap off blade version), work's fine, l then built the structure, glued together with spot's of super-glue, when dry l give all the joint's a good soaking with neat PVA, then 24 hour's later l coat the whole building with 2-3mm of DAS clay,with neat PVA, then again after 24 hour's l begin to scribe all the corner stone's first, then apply the brick's one by one, as for using embossed plasticard, l'm not too sure about what adesive to use to stick plastic to the ply, l suppose evo-stick or something like that, hope this help's...

Alan. l started out with foam board, but l quickly found out that it warp's over time, and ruining your hard work, not only that it's hard to stick together, when you are building something you don't want to be waiting forever for the glue to dry, with the method l am now using the part's stick together instantly...

Bob. With the plywood l cut it very easily with a stanley knife (the snap off blade version), work's fine, l then built the structure, glued together with spot's of super-glue, when dry l give all the joint's a good soaking with neat PVA, then 24 hour's later l coat the whole building with 2-3mm of DAS clay,with neat PVA, then again after 24 hour's l begin to scribe all the corner stone's first, then apply the brick's one by one, as for using embossed plasticard, l'm not too sure about what adesive to use to stick plastic to the ply, l suppose evo-stick or something like that, hope this help's...

Thanks George, I'll give it a go. I don't think I can emboss DAS neatly enough, hence the plasticard. Evostick looks like a good starting point.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Thanks George, I'll give it a go. I don't think I can emboss DAS neatly enough, hence the plasticard. Evostick looks like a good starting point.

Bob

Evostik is very effective at fixing Slaters/plastikard to ply - I use a lot of the stuff (no wonder I'm high as a kite).

Jeff

Hello Jeff. l know that anything that will stick plastic to wood will smell awful, that's why l use super-glue and PVA as there is no smell, and that keep's "er' in door's appy", l used to model everything l built in plasticard for year's, but at the end of the day it still look's like plasticard the corner's were the hardest thing l found.

Mswjr. Thank's for the input, l need all the help l can get, the water tank is proberly too BIG for a small country terminus but what the heck' it look's good to me, l always find the engine shed area the most exciting part of any layout whatever the scale or period, l was wondering about the support bar's you mentioned ? would they go across the width or long way's the lenght of the tank ?.

Going back to my love of engine shed's, l remember my mother had a brother who lived in Bournemouth and we would visit about three or four time's a year, dad used to drive and drop me off at Bournemouth Central, and leave me till they picked me up on their return, mum's brother understood my adiction to railway's and did not mind, l would proberly of had about four hour's on the long platform across from the steam shed, with the one platform ticket, amazing what went through and the loco's that used the shed at Bournemouth, Bullied's, standard's, even some of the early M7s etc etc, oh what memorie's, even after thirty odd years me and 'Andrew P' used to visit Eastleigh most night's for a couple of hour's, when they used to line up the diesel's along side the station 33's, 37's, 47's etc, now alas they can't leave them there anymore, as they would have to pay railtrack money for the time they spend parked up, so they are put into the shed were no one can see them, shame.

Thank you ALL for the input, very helpful.

georgeT

post-7716-0-23690600-1355381127_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

George,

Great little building.

Just a thought - there will be an awful lot of weight in that tank when full, and although the shed underneath is stone built, will it need additional buttresses for added strength ?

Stu ( who one day will build in 'O')

• RMweb Premium

Hi George. Thanks for the comments about Kirkby Luneside. I regard myself as a "plodder" - methodical and a bit obsessive. That's why the viaduct took about 6 weeks and the trackwork has so far taken 8 weeks! Threads like your own are just what I look for - Bacup, The Far North Line, Wencombe and, of course, all of Andy's!! Anyone who spends a bit of time on the Forum can't fail to learn a hell of a lot!

Agree with you about the corners, using Plastikard. Matching up and melding the joins is tricky. I find a bit of Humbrol model filler, allowed to set, then the join rubbed down with fine sandpaper works. If you rub hard enough the plastic melts and fuses the bits together. When painted the join is less noticeable. I'm watching your work with DAS, as I've never tried it. I will certainly give it a go - probably with my Goods shed. The scribing technique and level of detail interests me.

Keep up the excellent work!

Jeff

Hello Stu. There's a point Stu, never thought of that l suppose l could put some extra buttresses on the both end's of the tank building, l will do it when the clay is added, thank you.

Come on over to O' gauge, best move l ever made, l found you can buy a lot of stuff you don't really need in '00', but in 'O' you only buy what you need, as we are all on a budget, plus you can see a hell of a lot more in O', l had to sell all of my 00' to finance the move O' wish l had done it year's ago.

georgeT

Hi Jeff. we're all up early this morning, l find with the DAS you can go as far as you like with the detail, even just scribe in the door's and window lentle's and leave the rest give an impression of plain white washed stone wall if you like ?, l too spend hour's on the RMweb, searching for inspiration to enhance my model's, or project's, l find everyone helpful and interesting in many aspect's of the hobby.

l must admit to knowing Andy for many year's, and his enthusiasm for his layout's or project's always rub's off on me, he has cost me thousand's over the year's with trying to copy whatever he's doin' (he got me into O gauge) it's all been in good fun tho', once we went to watch one of his mate's playing drum's in a Shadow's tribute band, as we can both play the guitar (sign of a miss spent youth) , guess what he sold ALL his model railway gear and bought a Fender Stratocaster, yes you've guessed it, so did l. crazy thing's we do......

georgeT

Archived