'Abbot's Bridge' (72G)

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Yes, those pics were very entertaining. I thought it was The Shadows when I first saw the band!

George - what do you use as a scribing tool? I've seen specific "scribers" on a couple of arts-based websites and I've hear people using everything from the sharp end of chisels, Stanley-knives and even dental implements.

The detailing you've already put into the DAS on Trebudoc has me tempted!

Cheers,

Jeff

ps. That rogue Andy has me thinking of O gauge sometime in the future...

• RMweb Gold

Come on over to O' gauge, best move l ever made, l found you can buy a lot of stuff you don't really need in '00', but in 'O' you only buy what you need, as we are all on a budget, plus you can see a hell of a lot more in O', l had to sell all of my 00' to finance the move O' wish l had done it year's ago.

Far too much commitment to OO to consider moving over just yet, I've still got plans for at least two layouts I need to build before anything else...

(although that KMRC BWT is appealing...)

Yes, those pics were very entertaining. I thought it was The Shadows when I first saw the band!

George - what do you use as a scribing tool? I've seen specific "scribers" on a couple of arts-based websites and I've hear people using everything from the sharp end of chisels, Stanley-knives and even dental implements.

The detailing you've already put into the DAS on Trebudoc has me tempted!

Cheers,

Jeff

ps. That rogue Andy has me thinking of O gauge sometime in the future...

Hi Jeff check out January edition of Hornby Mag, Pages 50 to54, I WILL SAY NO MORE, :no: ho ho ho

Andy, (stiring up trouble again)P :nono:

Far too much commitment to OO to consider moving over just yet, I've still got plans for at least two layouts I need to build before anything else...

(although that KMRC BWT is appealing...)

That goes for you as well Stubby ha ha aheeeee, Andy again :no:

George,When i helped assemble the water tank at the racecouse station here in cheltenham, it had thick angle iron all around the top inside edge about 2 inch angle and boted to this was four other bits of angle iron the same size leaving about a four foot square in the middle this shape # and out of interest GWR was stamped on every bit even thou it was just angle iron, oh and you would see a great big ball cock just like the one in your home only made of brass and about a foot in dia, hope this is of use Garry

Jeff. l use a 4mm round file that taper's down to a point about 6" long and l have given it a real sharp point with my dremel sanding disc, it work's fine, on andy's Trebudoc station l have scored the front a bit too deep (got a bit carried away) so l have made another front, trouble is, you have to measure the height of the building as the corner stone's are 10mm and the brick's are 5mm, you have to work this out BEFORE you cut window's and door's as l have just found out ?? will show the progress soon

Garry. Thank you for the reply, yes it is very helpful, what l normally do is paint a piece of clear plasticard light dirty brown, and when it's dry turn it over and fix it half way down the tank, the shiny side look's like dirty water, then as you say l will put two supporting bar's across the tank out of the water........

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Jeff / Stubby47, You'll never regret stepping up to the premier gauge, when and if you do.

George, I don't doubt that you are right. Just like others, I've got far too much invested in OO to abandon that. So a future O gauge project will have to run parallel, and it will happen!!

I've checked through my collection of small files and found one just like the one you described as your scribing tool. Will give it a go on some plastikard I'll be working on - for a tunnel mouth.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Made a change to the shed at Abbot's Mead, l took the water tank away and will build another building for it to sit on, also made where the building where the  tank was a bit smaller, and added some DAS to one side.

georgeT

post-7716-0-54948600-1357122889_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-70518600-1357122903_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I think that was probably a wise choice, George, though it did look effective!

Good to see that work has resumed on Abbot's Mead. I'm underway again on KL.

All the best for 2013!

Jeff

You have nearly finnished Trebudoc Buildings, so then I WILL ALLOW YOU to continue with Abbots Mead, once it is running I will come up and help you with the scenics if you wish mate.

All the best Andy.

Hello Jeff,  Andy's building's are almost done so l thought l would get on with building mine on Abbot's Mead, the water tank was making the shed a bit too big for a small terminus so l have made it smaller, and will proberly put it on a building on it's own, also l need to make the building's with a random stone finish a bit different from Trebudoc, All the best to you for 2013 too.........

Andy, That would be great if you could help out with the scenic's again, we could proberly make a film out of it too, All the best to you in 2013 too.

georgeT

Hello Peter,  Abbot's Mead is only a very small terminus, but it will have a small engine shed, goods shed and a station to cope with two coaches and a tank loco, all in the 1930s, so most of my southern tanks will be plain black with southern on the tank side's and large number's, l am dreading painting some in the southern green with all the lining ?

l am still working on a track plan at the moment, Andrew P is coming up soon maybe he will have some idea's with the track l have, which is (1) right hand and (2) left hand point's and (1) Y point, and about a dozen flexiable straight's,

georgeT

The stonework l would like will be something like this, trouble is l can only do a two inch square at a time as it kills your finger's and you have to rest them for a while (must be getting old)....

georgeT

post-7716-0-83888200-1357210004_thumb.jpg

When I get on with my layout it will be DC I do not personally like sound anyway. For a layout at home with about 20' run in O why use DCC? I can see the advantage when you have a large multi track layout, but not for single line branch.

Who says you have to have sound? That is an option that is up to you to add.

With respect to the size of your layout, that is irrelevant.

What is worth considering, is how many isolating sections you have to plan

and wire into your layout to give you the chance to run things to your liking,

and then how many switches you have to wire, then remembering which

ones to operate (and make sure you keep the loco in the section only).

Whereas with DCC you just swop over on the control and drive them, not

having to worry about limits of sections.

Jeff

Hi George

I love what you are doing with the buildings on here and am determined to have a go as well, I think I may start on a road bridge over the river first though as any mistakes will be less noticeable. I just happen to have some DAS knocking about and wondered where to use it.

Look forward to seeing further progress toward the finished article.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Excellent video, George. More, please!

It never ceases to amaze me how people "in the know" make it all look so simple! Maybe the difficult part of modelling is knowing the little tricks to employ - though once they're discovered, they are a joy to use.

You are certainly teaching me some new tricks.

Jeff

George

Andrew P has told me about your video/tutrial. trouble is, I cannot find it. Is it me, or have you temporarily removed it?

The buildings are looking fantastic. Keep up the excellent work and please keep posting the photos so that we can all see the progress that you are making on Abbots Mead.

binny

Archived