'Abbot's Bridge' (72G)

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Hi George, WHERES YOUR VIDEO GONE?

Hi George. I'll ask the same question as Andy. Your video was well put together and full of info. Hope you're not being too self-critical. I'm sure those that saw it will hope it re-appears soon - maybe containing even more demos!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi George.

I can see why you replaced the original - it was a mere 5 minutes long. Great video. Look forward to the next one.

I'd love to see an equivalent of how you put the windows, sills and doors in. I've my own ideas about this, but it's clear you've been doing this for years!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hello Jeff, l have been building all sort's of building's most of my modelling life, can't remember just how many engine shed's l have built, steam and diesel, even built a 4mm scale model of chichester bus station for a customer, BUT if something goes wrong l will scrap it and start again, as with the first video, so if people like what l have done, maybe l will do some more ?

As you would like to see how l do my window's and door's ,l will do one on that subject on the next build, l'm sure it's not much different to your's, it's just that l get some window's to start with, then build a model around them, as with Andy's Trebudoc signal box, when l get round to doing the roof tile's l will make a video of that too.

When l go to railway exhibition's, l spend most of my time sitting and talking to the guy's who build thing's from loco's, rolling stock or building's, as there is so much knowledge to pick up on, you never know when it will come in handy.

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Thanks George, much appreciated.

I've met a few excellent scratchbuilders over the years and was always amazed at how they managed to conjure the most wonderful structures from a bit of this and a length of that. When I inquired more deeply, I was given a piece of advice: "in your mind, break what you are trying to build down into simple elements, then work on each element before assembling the whole".

Pretty obvious? Maybe, but it's the mind-shift that makes the difference. That, and watching someone build something they've done many times before - it's invaluable!

Before I built the curved viaducts on Kirkby Luneside (pages 9 to 25 of the thread) I'd never scratchbuilt any kind of structure. I now find myself looking at buildings and splitting them down into sections, materials etc. I've got to build a model based on Kirkby Stephen station and goods shed in the coming year. I'll use the ply technique with a Slaters cladding. What I don't know - because nobody's ever told me - is how to do the doors and windows. I think I can manage the rest. Hence the reason for my request.

I really enjoyed the video - and the commentary was like a good friend giving all the details you'd need to do the job. I can see how well you and Andy complement each other - the combination of skills works very well.

All the best,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

George - apologies it's taken me so long to look at this. And I almost missed it as your thread had drifted onto page 2! I've been laying track in the bunker, so it's a decent excuse!

Many thanks for that video. As with all your videos - highly informative. I appreciate the time you took to put it together.

I'm going to play it through again now. Oh, btw - saw your comment re. Stafford Member's Day on Trebudoc. It'll be great to meet you!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Apologies not required, it is a popular section one minute your at the top then ten minutes you're on page three, that's how popular model railway's has become.so many lovely railway's and model's, looking forward to meeting yourself and the gang in july.

georgeT

Hi George, Jeff, (Binny) and I watched your videos on here and on Trebudoc last night as we had a running session on his Burton North Layout, It was a nice evening with Coffee and cake and just watching the locos running up and down in the Shed and Yard.

Catch up this evening mate.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Andy, l have posted the latest video on your 'Trebudoc' thread, apart from the guttering the project is nearly finished. ready for the N gauge venture ??

georgeT

Don't encourage him, George! The next thing, he'll be building King's Cross in a cornflakes box, just like Stubby does! (And expecting you to make the buildings to fit!!  :O ).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

How about HOe Swiss Narrow Gauge?

That would have suited you before Christmas as you were the archetypal HOe, HOe, HOe!!!

Sorry George, for lowering the tone.

Btw, can I ask you something about the door/window video? Was the door made from 2mm ply and coated with DAS? You'd scribed panels into it before painting it. Just wondered!

Jeff

Jeff,  The door was made of two pieces of christmas card first one has the panels cut out then l laminated  them together, by the way its Andy who lowers the tone quite often, l have had to put up with him for over twenty years, think l deserve a medal or something, (HaHa) you were spot on with the title of Sir Lune, and l know he will wear the badge with pride, sellotaped to his forehead at shows knowing Andy (HaHa)

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,  The door was made of two pieces of christmas card first one has the panels cut out then l laminated  them together, by the way its Andy who lowers the tone quite often, l have had to put up with him for over twenty years, think l deserve a medal or something, (HaHa) you were spot on with the title of Sir Lune, and l know he will wear the badge with pride, sellotaped to his forehead at shows knowing Andy (HaHa)

georgeT

Ah, that makes a lot of sense and - again - such a simple idea. As for Sir Lune.... the contributors to my thread have started calling me Lord Lunester!

Nevermind - a bit of banter is good for the soul. There's certainly a happy band of modellers on here who are doing their best to help each other....

I dread to think what he was like when you were in the band together!!  :O

Jeff

ps. I had a look on eBay and I'll be getting some of that "superglue" 806 you referred to.

You wont regret it Jeff, its wonderful stuff and it sticks the 2mm plywood instantly its brilliant,  in the band he though he was Hank Marvin, so we had to take him off lead guitar and gave him a bass guitar, it was the only way we could shut him up HaHa 

georgeT

At least I didn't play the ELEVEN BAR BLUES,( sorry, private joke).

As for shutting up, :O  the Bassist should be the loudest :sungum:

The idea of laminateing the door panels is brilliant, I have a problem cutting out the front panels, I tried it once and gave up.

I guess its a bit like riding a bike, once you have the confidence then its not so hard.

If anyone is dishing out medals then I deserve one for putting up with George keep telling me I am doing it wrong. :nono:  hahahha,

Thing is he is usually right although I hate to admit it. :angel:

All the best, Andy.

That would have suited you before Christmas as you were the archetypal HOe, HOe, HOe!!!

Sorry George, for lowering the tone.

Btw, can I ask you something about the door/window video? Was the door made from 2mm ply and coated with DAS? You'd scribed panels into it before painting it. Just wondered!

Jeff

Jeff,

Another useful trick is to use self adhesive labels for building up panels in doors and also window frames etc. Especially in 4mm where you don't need the layers to be too thick.

Alan.

(Apologies for highjacking your excellent tutorial section George!)

Alan. Not highjacking, just a constructive in-put, the series of tutorials are just to show what you can do without spending loads of money, they are not meant to be followed in any way, as there are far better modellers out there, as can be seen in this section,  l think that showing modellers different things and an alternative way will give them the push to do something constructive, and that their models will be unique to them, l have built hundreds of buildings in the past, and have never spent more than £3 or £7 pounds on any of them. maybe l'm just tight  (HaHa).

l can build any type of building and can construct a 7mm brass loco kit, but ask me to paint or do any scenic work, then l'm lost, thats why when AndrewP comes up, we work on the layout, with me just watching, amazed at the things Andy turns out with ease, so l film whatever  he does as it is good to see hows its done, so if the tutorials helps just a few modellers then that good enough for me. happy modelling.

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tip, Alan. and George - thanks for the ideas and inspiration. I can cobble together ways to do things, but it's stupid to reinvent the wheel when someone else has an easier or more effective way of doing something. It's just a case of finding the info. This forum is excellent for exactly that, with a few threads in particular (such as George's) being outstanding.

Eleven bar blues? Sounds like Status Quo with a bar missing!!

Jeff

Archived