'Abbot's Bridge' (72G)

georgeT

Hello Jeff,  Quo have been getting away with it for year's, Anyway we all help each other in this hobby, Sir Lune is coming up soon and is going to micro-switch my peco points? whatever that mean's, but he say's he know's what he's doin' so l will let him get on with it,

l Fancy Corfe castle station for 'Abbot's Mead' alway's loved that building so l'm trawling the web for some picture's, l see you layout is coming along nicely, can't believe you have built all those point's, must have been a job and a half......

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Evening George.

If I'd known how much effort it would take to fit the points (about 40 of them) I might have cut down on the number. And the cost! Nevermind, the slow-motion motors work great and it all goes with the prototype so - to hell with it! I've just posted some photos of the (almost) completed fiddle-yard. All of that will be underneath the main hillside when it's built - now that WILL be fun!

Andy's found himself with a bit of a headache with the roof windows on his lovely motor-shed.... I'll let you read it for yourself. I wonder what he'll come up with?!

All the best,

Jeff

Hello Jeff,  Quo have been getting away with it for year's, Anyway we all help each other in this hobby, Sir Lune is coming up soon and is going to micro-switch my peco points? whatever that mean's, but he say's he know's what he's doin' so l will let him get on with it,

l Fancy Corfe castle station for 'Abbot's Mead' alway's loved that building so l'm trawling the web for some picture's, l see you layout is coming along nicely, can't believe you have built all those point's, must have been a job and a half......

georgeT

George

That is a shame I could of got you loads of photos of Corfe a couple of years ago. I had a workshop behind the dairy at the station.  I will check my photos anyway for you.

Peter, Thank you so much for the offer of some photos if you find them, not to worry if you can't, what l should have said was l would love something like Corfe castle station, l think it would be a bit big on my layout, but the dorset stone looks spot on for 'Abbot's Mead, but l would copy the window style and the doors, as they don't look too complicated to model.

georgeT.     btw  the Hall is looking good 

Been playing with PAINT on my computer, drawing all sorts of window options for my station building at 'Abbot's Mead' would like something like Corfe Castle, but it would be a bit on the large side, l will however copy the brickwork, seems to be the same as Swanage in lovely Dorset stone, still looking at photos at the moment trying to get some inspiration.........

georgeT

post-7716-0-42961300-1357723150_thumb.jpg

Lovely work here, George, and glad you're doing something for yourself in O gauge. Will follow with interest after slowly catching up on Trebudoc.

Don't encourage him to work on his own layout, :nono: I have MORE PROJECTS FOR HIM YET, hahhahah :sungum:

Hello Nth Degree, Yes it is good to get on with my own projects, but l dont mind building for Andy, as he does so much for me in return, 'Abbot's Mead' station has been started, and l will do thing's differently this time as the station will be built in moduals bit by bit, as the hard part seems to be things like the roof, trying to tile the whole building is a pain, but l am doing each roof as l go, then DAS clay and scribe the three buildings before l marry  them together, we will see as we go.....

georgeT

post-7716-0-62214900-1357819780_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-49552600-1357819805_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-32638700-1357819826_thumb.jpg

George,

you may have mentioned it somewhere, but it must have escaped me. What type of DAS modelling clay do you use. I have been trying to locate this product here in Germany, but they offer so many different kinds I am lost in the jungle. If you could provide me with the exact name and maybe a product no., that would just be great.

One further question, if you don´t mind. What do you use to cut window and door openings? Is it a hand saw, or a miniature power jig saw, like the following Proxxon tool:

28534.jpg

Or is it just a sharp knife?

Thank you for you help!

Sir Madog. Nothing fancy at all, the entire kit is as follows

1. Green Scotchbrite (for rubbing the plaster)

2. Large craft knife

3. Fine knive (Swan & Morten)

3. short steel rule

4. round file sharpened to a fine point (for scribbing)

5. 99% Confidence

6. 1% Skill.

7. PVA Glue (to stick the DAS with).

8. Old Toothbrush (for sweeping the DAS powder out of the scribe)

9. 4" Paint brush to give it a good brush.

Thats about all you need (should be no stoppin' you now Sir Madog

Everything including ALL window and doors are cut by hand.

georgeT 

post-7716-0-04295800-1357938917_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi George,

Good last post - sums up what scratchbuilding is all about. However, while confidence is a major issue I think the skill factor is way more than 1% - you do yourself a major injustice!

Looking forward to the vids you and "slavedriver" (only joking) Sir Lune come up with. I hope his scenics match your building standards! Lol.

Jeff

'Abbot's Mead' station is nearly finished  (the shell anyway), l built three seperate buildings, and will join them all together soon, need to add the roof, tiles and chimneys, l want the station canopy to be about 600mm long on supports so it runs along the platform, but we will see what happens.....

georgeT

post-7716-0-93966000-1357983906_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-79677500-1357983942_thumb.jpg

Hello Ulrich, l will put a little video together showing you how l do the DAS later on today, should be on here tonight (Sunday).......

Hello Jeff, Yes l have to put up with Sir Lune for three whole days, Jesus do l give myself problems or what ?

Hello Kev, Thanks for the kind words, l'm trying with 'Abbot's Mead' to re-create a staion that would have proberly only had 2-3 trains a day, even in the late 30s, it would never have had a loco shed, but what the heck, go for it.........

georgeT

Been busy most of the day building the baseboards for 'Abbot's Mead', but found a little time to do some more work on the shed.

Hello Steve,  Glad you liked the videos,  like l said they are not meant to be followed in any way, they are just to show how somethings can be built, there will be more to follow if people like them....

Hi Ulrich, Have to do the DAS video later, sorry a bit busy at the moment.

georgeT 

post-7716-0-26231700-1358186580_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-89317500-1358186590_thumb.jpg

Archived