Hornby's 2013 Announcements

Andy Y

Wasted my breath earlier.

You may well have done Andy, but no matter. Just make sure Simon reads it eh !!!!

Us experts on here will soon have Margate shipshape and Bristol fashion !!!

Likewise Peter.

The bit I don't get about Hornby, although Andy Y has previously tendered a possible explanation about the factory possibly not being geared up to do it. In my only world I'd expect to "sweat the asset" whilst it is still fresh in the marketplace. It's like producing a new car, but only releasing it in blue and green for the launch year, then not cataloguing it for the second year. I'd like some black ones with yellow lettering, but I cannot be arsed to respray olive ones then buy transfers to go on them - Sorry John !!!

Andy Y, if you are talking to Simon K, perhaps you politely ask him why this is ? Or, if Simon wishes to respond himself - feel free.

I have been in correspondance with Simon Kohler regarding a BR black Trout and the reason for not producing the model this year is that Hornby could not find a suitable photograph to copy - nor can I and if there is such a photograph I'd much appriciate information on where I can obtain a copy.

Paul

I have been in correspondance with Simon Kohler regarding a BR black Trout and the reason for not producing the model this year is that Hornby could not find a suitable photograph to copy - nor can I and if there is such a photograph I'd much appriciate information on where I can obtain a copy.

Paul

I may be wrong, but Paul Bartlett's site could be a good starting point:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/troutzfo/h17f63f7b#h17f63f7b

I may be wrong, but Paul Bartlett's site could be a good starting point:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/troutzfo/h17f63f7b#h17f63f7b

Paul hasn't anything earlier enough - had this discussion when the LNER Trout first came out on this Forum - and I've searched through 100s of photos at exhibitions all year. I have books by David Larkin etc and none show the original BR livery. Other BR livery ballast wagons, but not the Trout.

Paul

Other BR livery ballast wagons, but not the Trout.

Paul

So, using the basis of livery diagrams and regs, a suitable and workable solution could presumably be reached.  If it is the case that there are no prototype photos in existence, it would be extremely hard for rivet-botherers to accuse Hornby of getting it wrong.

Seems to me this is an excuse looking for a reason not to do something.  Up to the Red Team, but that decision is anti-lucrative to say the least.

does anyone else see "war and peace" length posts and just move on to the next one?

Yes - and I also skip past those that tend to think that repeating their opinions over and over will make everyone more likely to believe them. Honestly I've never seen so much froth. Once we get some tangible evidence we might have something worthy of debate. 

It's all a bit like the debate had by the Peoples' Front of Judea in The Life of Brian and achieving as much. I mean, what has Hornby ever done for us?

So, using the basis of livery diagrams and regs, a suitable and workable solution could presumably be reached.  If it is the case that there are no prototype photos in existence, it would be extremely hard for rivet-botherers to accuse Hornby of getting it wrong.

Seems to me this is an excuse looking for a reason not to do something.  Up to the Red Team, but that decision is anti-lucrative to say the least.

Sorry CHARD cannot accept your uncharitable comment about Hornby, not necessary to put into print even if you think it.

Paul

Sorry Paul if my comment came across as flippant, certainly no harm or slight was intended to yourself.

However, Hornby is not a charity, it is a business.  It employs researchers who one assumes are able to access, read, interpret and apply livery diagrams, number ranges, typefaces and colour guidelines from prototype situations.  Therefore, as the black Engineers' livery is well known - Hornby decorating the Shark ballast plough in the livery, to give but one example - one might imagine that a latent demand for the Trout could be satisfied by using these skills.

For those who would complain that the livery is somehow a fiction, to them lies the challenge of providing photographic evidence to the contrary. Meanwhile, many happy punters will have visited a box-shifting website or popped into their local model shop and supported the proprietor by walking out with a triple pack of black Trout for the thick end of thirty quid, and everyone's happy, Hornby included.

I just wish Hornby would address some of the basics....for years we have been waiting for a standardised coupling....it would be so much easier to sell a range of model railway items that actually coupled properly to each other......even within some train packs there are several types of couplings .... get the various types in certain formations and derailments occur ...not a good way of encouraging people into the hobby or to buy more of their product.....

come on Hornby "Design Clever" and use the same size coupling throughout the range...

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

I agree about the couplings. That is the biggest problem in mixing old (er) stock with the latest releases and certainly causes plenty of issues.

The problem is also that "latest releases" as opposed to brand new tooling,can have old style couplings....

for example ....2012 R3092 LMS 6220 train pack has a loco with with small modern couplings and coaches with large old style tension lock......for a mere RSP of £249.99.....not really good enough ...

I should imagine that there will be similar items in the 2013 range ...although I cannot confirm this until I go down to Margate to view this years products ..

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

How long is this Hornby Bashing, sorry,' critical analysis' going to continue. Santa presented a Bachmann C with it's moulded cab and tender front handrails, but I do not see 43 pages of 'comment', and am I upset? No. It looks fine and it works and the boys and I are having fun. All criteria fulfilled.

My 1930's GWR  finescale layout has been invaded with Hornby Pendolinos, Harry Potter, Thomas locos etc,not to mention the Virgin MK III's behind the 'C'. And do I mind? No. We are having family fun at Christmas and as such gave up reading 43 pages and went back to play trains.

I appreciate members are entitled to their opinions but I for one would like to say - Thank you Hornby for past, present and future releases as in this household we have not forgotten, THIS IS A HOBBY, it brings the family together and should be fun.

Mike Wiltshire

How long is this Hornby Bashing, sorry,' critical analysis' going to continue. Santa presented a Bachmann C with it's moulded cab and tender front handrails, but I do not see 43 pages of 'comment', and am I upset? No. It looks fine and it works and the boys and I are having fun. All criteria fulfilled.

My 1930's GWR  finescale layout has been invaded with Hornby Pendolinos, Harry Potter, Thomas locos etc,not to mention the Virgin MK III's behind the 'C'. And do I mind? No. We are having family fun at Christmas and as such gave up reading 43 pages and went back to play trains.

I appreciate members are entitled to their opinions but I for one would like to say - Thank you Hornby for past, present and future releases as in this household we have not forgotten, THIS IS A HOBBY, it brings the family together and should be fun.

Mike Wiltshire

Seeing as you have read some of the 43 pages at least Mike, you'll have noticed that Simon Kohler was apparently asking for comments. Couldn't think of a better place to do that than here in this thread. My intention is far from Hornby bashing - more for responding to SK's apparent request, and general comment on same.

Seeing as you have read some of the 43 pages at least Mike, you'll have noticed that Simon Kohler was apparently asking for comments. Couldn't think of a better place to do that than here in this thread. My intention is far from Hornby bashing - more for responding to SK's apparent request, and general comment on same.

Couldn't have put it better myself Phil.

I actually haven't seen any posts which I would put in the category of "Hornby bashing" in this thread at all. Far from it - most of it is considered and careful debate on both sides of the coin. I've enjoyed reading the thread.

Obviously people are going to speculate where there's little information available, but arguably there was enough information given (pre-production DoC of some form, the "Design Clever" ideals put forward, the CADs of various locomotives kindly provided by Hornby and presented by Andy Y) to try to make a reasoned view and ask a few questions.

Guest Max Stafford

What is the point of asking for constructive feedback if (properly founded) criticism is going to be regarded as 'bashing' and unacceptable.

It's not intended to undermine. I think the more reasonable critics are just seeking clarification on issues within Hornby's strategy that seem inconsistent and to the observer sometimes confusing.

That's not unreasonable in my book.

Dave. 

A suggestion for Mr Kohler:

The Hornby 00 models rationalisation into premium models and “Railroad” models should continue with new track for the premium models. That track, in my opinion, should be of quality similar to the Tillig range but with code 75 bullhead rail and closer to UK sleeper spacing and chairs like the SMP and C&L type.

From the numerous and long threads in RMWEB on the subject, for example “is 00 track the poor relation in the hobby?”, it is clear that a significant number would welcome such a track range.

Ian

Although the 'likes this' button can be useful, I think it's a shame that there isn't a 'thinks you're talking out of your @rse' button as well for balance.

Now, now - these forums are perused by ladies, children, Mickey and others of a delicate nature. Anal sphincter, if you must ...

• RMweb Gold

For those who would complain that the livery is somehow a fiction, to them lies the challenge of providing photographic evidence to the contrary.

Any model of a BR black 'Trout' with markings as per BR diagrams (with or without photographic evidence) would positively drip with authenticity compared to a lot of the 'Private Owner' wagons on the market. Many liveries are much more colourful than their alleged prototype and others are applied to entirely the wrong type of wagon although Hornby are a paragon of virtue compared to some........

Another matter that came up in conversation earlier today was whether or not the few surviving ex-GWR Stars would ever have received BR green livery. Many (if not most) Class 5P locos on other regions (e.g. Schools and King Arthurs) were finished in lined black unless repainted after 1956. The last two Stars went for scrap in '57 and it seems reasonable to assume they would not have been repainted for several years prior to wihdrawal.

As I was only 5 at the time, can anybody enlighten me, one way or the other?

• RMweb Gold

Although the 'likes this' button can be useful, I think it's a shame that there isn't a 'thinks you're talking out of your @rse' button as well for balance.

I suspect it would suffer from overuse....... Even the Mods could be tempted from time to time, I bet.

• RMweb Premium

Many (if not most) Class 5P locos on other regions (e.g. Schools and King Arthurs) were finished in lined black unless repainted after 1956. The last two Stars went for scrap in '57 and it seems reasonable to assume they would not have been repainted for several years prior to wihdrawal.

As I was only 5 at the time, can anybody enlighten me, one way or the other?

Definitely green for the most part and not just post-1956. Plenty of photographic evidence to support this - I have Nock- stars, castles and kings in front of me at the moment.

Regards

Martin

Archived