DCC (NCE Powercab) engine lights on, but will not move.

glenholme

I am new to model rail and DCC. I have bought a new NCE Powercab in order to power n gauge. My engine is a Graham Farish. I am finding terms etc. overwhelming and not simple to use. My main problem is that the engine (class 66) sits on rails with lights on and a buzzing noise, therefore power is going though rails. I cannot get the engine to move at all. The engine has been well maintained and runs well on DC. Any suggestions?

Thanks

It sounds as if your locomotive does not have a DCC decoder fitted to it.

If you leave it on the track without a decoder installed, you will burn out the motor. You need a decoder in every locomotive.

I will check, but the engine was bought as DCC ready, thanks

The Farish class 66 is advertised as DCC ready, however you need to buy a decoder with wires soldered to it, so you can solder the decoder to the main PCB (located under the body)

It's pretty straight forward to do, providing you have a soldering iron!

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to model rail and DCC. I have bought a new NCE Powercab in order to power n gauge. My engine is a Graham Farish. I am finding terms etc. overwhelming and not simple to use. My main problem is that the engine (class 66) sits on rails with lights on and a buzzing noise, therefore power is going though rails. I cannot get the engine to move at all. The engine has been well maintained and runs well on DC. Any suggestions?

Thanks

The Farish class 66 is advertised as DCC ready, however you need to buy a decoder with wires soldered to it, so you can solder the decoder to the main PCB (located under the body)

It's pretty straight forward to do, providing you have a soldering iron!

A and H models (Northants) are recommended by me for Decoder supply and fitting

Nick R

Archived