Ullapool Branch and my Great-britN modules

McRuss

• RMweb Gold

In the next few weeks I will post a small series of films on Youtube.

In these films you can do some trainspotting at the Garve and Ullapool Railway on a autum day in the early 1960s.

For the films I used my timetable, that I made for the last operating session.

Enjoy the film.

Markus
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last night the area at Inverlael was hit by a small snow storm. And so today
the crew of the Ivatt had to shunt the snow covered Inverlael distillery.

InverlaelDistilleryWinter.JPG

I wish everyone of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Today I could finish the filming for my A day at the Garve and Ullapool Railway Series.

Markus

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

During the last few days I continued with scenery work on my layout.
These time I conentrated on the area between Inverlael and the Fiddle Yard.

DSCI3125.JPG

The plain green field will be part of a shinty pitch.
For those who don't know. Shinty is a scottish sport, and is considered as one of the ancestors of Hockey.
At the edge of the pitch I will place a Metcalfe Wooden Pavillion, which I ordered recently.

DSCI3126.JPG

DSCI3128.JPG

DSCI3129.JPG

DSCI3130.JPG

Beyond the cutting there will be the background, over the two cuttings I will place two road bridges.

Markus

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I received the wooden Pavilion and built it.
I also added some heather and other scrub.

DSCI3132.JPG

Now I have to find the right position for the pavillion.
One possibility is to place it at the imagined middle line of the shinty pitch, and the pitch continues to the left and right.

DSCI3133.JPG

The other possibility would be that building is situated at the corner of the pitch.

DSCI3134.JPG

At the moment my favourite is variant 1.

DSCI3135.JPG

Markus

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Markus,

Just spend some time reading through your topic and watching the Youtube clips. What a wonderful layout!

I especially like the idea of building the layout on (standard) modules allowing you to have some flexibility in setting up your layout and also being able to set it up in a Fremo setting. It's a pity nobody in Ireland is doing Fremo..

Anyway, what I would like to ask you is how do you uncouple your wagons? I can see you doing a few shunting moves in the youtube clips and I guess that you very cleverly cut the actually uncoupling bit out of the video, but as you are using standard Rapido couplings I was wondering how you (un)couple them.

The reason I am asking is that I am planning a layout where I would like to do some shunting (using cards similar to the Fremo ones) but as the Rapido couplings don't allow for easy shunting I was pondering on buying some B&B or DG couplings or something similar. But than again, this would add more work and cost to my layout which is already on a budget, so if there is an other way that would be great!

Also: what is that big long wagon that is showing up in several of the clips?

Thanks a lot!

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ed,

you are right, I did cut out the uncoupling from the movies.

At the moment I'm using rapido couplers, but we at Great-britN will convert to the Dapol magnetic knuckle couplers.

But I haven't installed uncoupling devices on my layout. Instead I and my friends are using homemade handuncouplers.

They are made from a wooden pole with an inserted 1mm wire, which is bend at the end.

Markus

• RMweb Gold

Last Weekende I primed the backdrop with Bob Ross White Gesso, and after I received the missing Liquid White from the same range of paints today I
finished the bachdrop at Inverlael.

DSCI3140.JPG

DSCI3141.JPG

DSCI3142.JPG

The two opening in the backdrop will be hidden by two bridges.

Markus

Edited by McRuss
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ed,

I searched for them but at the moment can't find them because we usually used our hands for uncoupling the wagons with rapido style couplers.

These is because of the stiffness of the couplers that are put in the wagons with the new NEM coupler pockets.

On passenger trains I have installed the Dapol knuckle coupler and for these I'm using a uncoupler which I purchased from Micro Mark in the USA about 10 years ago.

DSCI3143.JPG

But for the future we at Great-britN will convert our rolling stock completely to the Dapol knuckle couplers for ease of operation.

Markus

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

During the  last few days the road contruction team worked at Inverlael.

DSCI3147.JPG

Now you could see me entire to Dapol magnetic couplers converted rolling stock.

DSCI3148.JPG

At about 80 I only replaced the couplers because they were equipped with NEM coupler pockets. On 35 I had mostly adapt the
Dapol couplers to the original coupler pocket. These is the case with the original Peco wagons and Dapol wagons, where I used
the original coupler pockets and used some shims and trimmed couplers for the conversion. On Farish wagons I used the inner part
of the Dapol NEM conversion kit and glued it on the underside of wagon.
But be aware, that these wagons couldn't negotiate tight curves. I tested it with 28cm curves and it worked. But you have
to test if it is working for you.

Markus

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I especially like the idea of building the layout on (standard) modules allowing you to have some flexibility in setting up your layout and also being able to set it up in a Fremo setting. It's a pity nobody in Ireland is doing Fremo..

That's not completely true. There is one Fremo soul in Ireland, in Kildare.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These weekend it was time again for an operating session.
Yesterday there were up to seven operators for the Garve and Ullapool Railway.
We discovered yesterday that due to the change of the couplers to Dapol magnetic couplers, we
have much less trainseperations than at the last sessions, there were only one trainseperation during
the entire train.

DSCI3149.JPG

DSCI3150.JPG

DSCI3151.JPG

DSCI3152.JPG

DSCI3153.JPG

DSCI3154.JPG

DSCI3155.JPG

DSCI3156.JPG

DSCI3157.JPG

DSCI3158.JPG

DSCI3159.JPG

DSCI3160.JPG

DSCI3161.JPG

DSCI3162.JPG

DSCI3163.JPG

DSCI3164.JPG

DSCI3165.JPG

DSCI3166.JPG

DSCI3167.JPG

DSCI3168.JPG

DSCI3169.JPG

DSCI3170.JPG

DSCI3171.JPG

DSCI3172.JPG

DSCI3173.JPG

Markus

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few days ago I started with a project, which is quite long in the pipeline.
It is the Argyll Hotel at Ullapool

https://www.google.de/maps/@57.8967145,-5.1558092,3a,79.1y,315.83h,85.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp7fTkEAuXU1EWAAASdvEiA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=de

I can't get any dimension of the original building, so I used Google and Scalescenes for estimating them. I found out that todays roof shape was different
in the 1960s. I've found a picture from the early or mid 60s showing a traditional slate roof. And another one from 1972 with todays roof shape
For the dimensions I used the Scalescenes Lockkeepers Cottage. My hotel building is twice the lenght of the cottage.
For the moment I built the building the the 60s conition, but for the future I plan to build another one with todays roof shape.

DSCI3174.JPG

I also decided to put in an interior for the pub, kitchen, and guestrooms.

DSCI3175.JPG
here you can see the bar in the pub

DSCI3176.JPG
view from above

DSCI3177.JPG

DSCI3178.JPG
the pub
For the furniture I use Scalescenes and Modelrailway Scenery downloaded kits. But I'm looking for a source for tables and chairs for the pub.
After the groundfloor is finished I will put on the ceiling and put in some small lights for illumination. The the guestrooms above will be finished.

Markus

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I wanted to plant some fence post to seperate the railway from the quarry.
But when finished with that task I had a look if I've got other stuff to place on the module.
First I placed the Peco crossing gates.
Next project was the fence on the platform of Leckmelm station.
I also livened up the goods yard, with some figures, a small office and some fence.
Then I placed a old cattle van at the edge of the garden of the station master. Now it
waits for some cattle. I also enlivened the quarry area.

DSCI3426.JPG

DSCI3427.JPG

DSCI3428.JPG

DSCI3429.JPG

DSCI3430.JPG

DSCI3431.JPG

DSCI3432.JPG

DSCI3433.JPG

DSCI3434.JPG

DSCI3435.JPG

DSCI3436.JPG

DSCI3437.JPG

DSCI3438.JPG

DSCI3439.JPG

DSCI3440.JPG

DSCI3441.JPG

Markus

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

some of you maybe remember the junction module that I built early in 2013.
Because these module is needed for our Great-britN modular meeting at end of July I worked on some details on the module scenery.

DSCI3460.JPG

DSCI3461.JPG

DSCI3462.JPG

DSCI3463.JPG

DSCI3464.JPG

DSCI3465.JPG

DSCI3466.JPG

Markus

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last weekend we held our annual Great-britN meeting in the barn where I live.

Here are a short teaser and a longer film from the meeting.
Pictures will follow soon

Markus

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Due to a house move and change of work, I have to tear down my layout.

Because my new train room is smaller than the actual one I can't use Ullapool and Inverlael.

But the other modules could be reused.

Markus

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sad to see such wonderful modelling go, I hate to say it but, it's 30 years since I had Haggis on steak in the Argyll...

I hope your new railway will bring back more memories, there was a lot of Whisky involved as well....