Last green 45s

Yep, well, nearly. It was reported as having them in October 1969 Railway Observer and I have a sighting report of it 27 Sept 1969 so the likely date is August 1969. You have to assume that it was immediately reported to the RO of course and it may have been running around like it for months but thats unlikely as my correspondent says it wasnt a cop that day but was the first sighting of it GFYE. And apart from 166 reported in the RO same issue no 46 precedes it as GFYE

It was recorded ex works blue on 19 Aug 1970 so didnt run long GFYE, probably less than a year.

This is the gen I have for dates of GFYE for the few 46s that had it. There were many green locos with panels into 1971 and 147/63/5 lasted into 1972, 165 was lined.

138 Green SYP 30/1/71 FYE by 22/2/71 In works dec 71 blue by 1/2/72

154 SYP 2/3/71 and FYE 19/3/71 so march 71!

155 SYP 16/1/71 FYE 13/3/71

159 SYP 30/1/71 GFYE 10/4/71 still GFYE 18/12/71 Blue-dunno! reported RO July 72 so sometime between deceber 71-may 72.

166 syp 21/6/69 reported FYE RO Oct 69 still GFYE 18/7/70 blue ex works 16/10/70

188 First 27/9/69 blue by 19/8/70

193 First 15/1/70 still GFYE 2/10/70 blue by 22/12/70

Incidentally 146 i can confirm was NOT economy but just had its stripe painted out.

Modern Railway Modelling carried a pic of 138 at Toton in Sept '71 in GFYE with the stripe, this corresponds with the works date of Dec '71 for it's repaint

Does this count -

Just found a report of D85 on 8/4/70 with a Green cab door!! biggrin.gif

Crossfell5

I'm sure it does!

It's these little things (dont think i can spell annomolly) that make livery variations so Interesting, we just need someone to find a piccy nowwink.gif

Trevor.

This lot of info is superb - Russell mentioned this blokes name before - Sean Greenslade

There should/ought to be alot more people do this http://www.exeterrailblastfromthepast.co.uk/

Scroll down to Sean Greenslade's Gen on the left

The nearest to this is Trevor Machell's observations here http://www.timewarp.abelgratis.com/ch/index.html

and Kevin from The Chesterfield Observer fame here http://www.railwayphotos.net/cfld_obs/index.html

Crossfell5

Here's a poser, from the RailScot photo archive:

Green Full Yellow End, single centre panel headcode, red shedplate as at the end of this link, date 4th January 1969 (last-but-one day)

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=22765

I'm guessing this must be a 45 then...

Im pretty certain its D60 Lytham St Annes and is blue. Ive seen that shot and others taken on the day a few times.

This lot of info is superb - Russell mentioned this blokes name before - Sean Greenslade

There should/ought to be alot more people do this http://www.exeterrai...mthepast.co.uk/

Scroll down to Sean Greenslade's Gen on the left

The nearest to this is Trevor Machell's observations here http://www.timewarp....m/ch/index.html

and Kevin from The Chesterfield Observer fame here http://www.railwayph..._obs/index.html

Crossfell5

Sean is a great bloke and has sent me lots of accurate detailed gen.

Done some inconclusive research. Assuming the date July 1971 to be correct, it isn't 4,5, 9 or 10 as the first two were blue and the latter two had different long grilles.

That leaves 1,2,3,6,7 or 8. Its not 3 as that had a green roof and a stripe showing through the paint, besides, it was SYP until aug 72. I dont think its 2 or 8 as both were lined and I have no report to say either were ever GFYE which means nothing of course.

7 was SYP till 1972 so unless the date is wrong it isnt that. Which leaves 1 and 6. I strongly suspect its D6 as its easy to confuse 6 and 8 serif numbers from a distance. If it was D8 the last gen I have of it as green was RO June 71 and it was reported blue by them in September so july 71 seems unlikely.

But-its possible.....

My money is well and truly on it being D6 though.

• RMweb Gold

Pretty sure it isnt D8. I shall research and report.

I've only just noticed this thread. As I took the photo (see below) thought I would comment. My own notes say D8, as do my father's, who was there on the same day.

However at this distance in time I would accept we could both have written down the wrong number.

Does the nameplate length give any indication - I am no expert on Peaks myself.

post-5613-12627073825875_thumb.jpg

Hotchley Hill D8 breakdown train July 71

Edit Just found 2 of Dad's photos at the same location. I'm not sure if they help though. See below

post-5613-12627077193942_thumb.jpg

Hotchley Hill D8 (1) July 71

Hotchley Hill D8 (2) July 71

post-5613-12627077319919_thumb.jpg

David

• Like 1

Done some inconclusive research. Assuming the date July 1971 to be correct, it isn't 4,5, 9 or 10 as the first two were blue and the latter two had different long grilles.

That leaves 1,2,3,6,7 or 8. Its not 3 as that had a green roof and a stripe showing through the paint, besides, it was SYP until aug 72. I dont think its 2 or 8 as both were lined and I have no report to say either were ever GFYE which means nothing of course.

7 was SYP till 1972 so unless the date is wrong it isnt that. Which leaves 1 and 6. I strongly suspect its D6 as its easy to confuse 6 and 8 serif numbers from a distance. If it was D8 the last gen I have of it as green was RO June 71 and it was reported blue by them in September so july 71 seems unlikely.

But-its possible.....

My money is well and truly on it being D6 though.

When I first posted the link, I too did a bit of research against the info i had and come to the outcome that it was more likely to be D6.

It wouldn't be D1 as that had green grilles the same as the body colour, where as D6 had them in light grey as the pic.

D8 also had light coloured grilles but in photo I have showing only part side on, it still has it's stripe and you cannot see the front end, sometime in 1971 presuming the dates are correct.

7 had lost it's D's before this date, so can't imagine it receiving new ones at a later date, whilst another shot dated 1972 shows it too still be GSY

Looking at the pics Dave has shown, you cannot really tell by the nameplates as they were both about the same amount of letters, but the loco still has its D's and data panel fitted in the normal position, so i would say it was D6, but would love to be proved wrong!

Shame it wasn't showing the otherside of the loco because D6 had had its D removed on No.2 endbiggrin.gif

Trevor

• 1 year later...

Look again at the cab roof and the buffer beam/ bogie front. I reckon there's weathered green and red there, Bruce McCartney's Agfa repro are pretty faithful. Anyway, while we're about it, here are some more from that period that may be easy, may be debatable, may be plain impossible to i.d:

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=23712

FYE Peak odd looking square edged panel, again looks like red bogie front

I have since i.d'd this Peak on the Waverley thread, from a photo taken at Stainton Crossing late in the line's existence. However, I need to hunt it down again!

Here she is, D192:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=32380

EDIT: This isn't her, but anyone fancy a punt at who this might be on the legeandary 1M01?

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=31434

Note - centre panel Brush rework and nameplate, this should narrow it down to a couple of machines.

EDIT: This isn't her, but anyone fancy a punt at who this might be on the legeandary 1M01?

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=31434

Note - centre panel Brush rework and nameplate, this should narrow it down to a couple of machines.

I'm fairly sure that came up in the Waverley thread and that we said it was very probably D60 - nameplate length is about right, it doesnt have a regimental crest and the shedplate is probably an NER fitting and thus could be a 55A one

I'm very happy with D60, I had already persuaded myself of that i.d, really it was a sanity-check :laugh:

Looks on the face of it that LYTHAM put in some effort throughout the entire last weekend. I'd be interested to know the Type 4 diagrams, either booked or custom & practice for Autumn/ Winter '68, but that's for another thread!!!

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great to see these remarkable photos at our local gypsum factory where today you get a GBRF 66 and preserved stock (grateful for it), not as colourful as this.

Dava

I've only just noticed this thread. As I took the photo (see below) thought I would comment. My own notes say D8, as do my father's, who was there on the same day.

However at this distance in time I would accept we could both have written down the wrong number.

Does the nameplate length give any indication - I am no expert on Peaks myself.

attachicon.gifHotchley Hill D8 breakdown train July 71.JPG

Hotchley Hill D8 breakdown train July 71

Edit Just found 2 of Dad's photos at the same location. I'm not sure if they help though. See below

attachicon.gifHotchley Hill D8 (1) July 71.jpg

Hotchley Hill D8 (1) July 71

Hotchley Hill D8 (2) July 71

attachicon.gifHotchley Hill D8 (2) July 71.jpg

David

• RMweb Gold

For all those patient souls who have been waiting for the delayed release of Looking back at Peaks, I can now happily announce that we are taking delivery on 23 May, and we should hopefully have all those pre-ordered away with 3 to 4 days. The delay was a result of waiting to get them bound, as our previous binders have now gone bust sadly. Yes we still have all of our books printed and bound within the UK. But it is getting harder to find good bookbinders for hardbacks at a reasonable price for smaller publishers.

So once again thanks for your patience, Eastern Steam Days Remembered is also being delivered the same day. Hopefully Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered V is not far behind now as well.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

post-10498-0-51272700-1400488490_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Can anyone point to a photo of a 45 in GFYE livery please?

I have seen at least two, one by Gavin Morrison of D25 and another on Flickr of a split box one either 25 or 26 but not IDed. I have these shots but can't post here. happy to send you scans though. Very, very rare to see one, I can swear to only two with the possibility of 100 which I am sure I saw myself but all the evidence says not. But I am sure I saw it.

Edited by Russell Saxton

• 2 weeks later...

Class 46 D163 also ran with the large yellow warning panel. A free supplement was given in 'Rail Enthusiast' magazine in about 1984/85

showing her like that, I think the picture was from 1964. But by the late 1960's she was green with the 'small' small yellow panel. Pictures of 45's or 46's with the large warning panel seem quite rare.

Class 46 D163 also ran with the large yellow warning panel. A free supplement was given in 'Rail Enthusiast' magazine in about 1984/85

showing her like that, I think the picture was from 1964. But by the late 1960's she was green with the 'small' small yellow panel. Pictures of 45's or 46's with the large warning panel seem quite rare.

D163 was a very late survivor in economy green SYP:

2701632505_537a39ec85_s.jpg163_Taunton_24-3-72_1035-Manchester by robertcwp, on Flickr

• 1 year later...

I was hoping to find a pic of a split box 45 in GFYE but the only link to one doesn't seem to work. Can anyone oblige please? I am doing a 46 in this livery as I have a reference pic of D193, will check and confirm but a split box in the same livery intrigues me.

Cheers

Shane