Last green 45s

You'll be lucky! There were only two and possibly three, D25/6 and maybe D100 and in 30 years searching I've found two shots total, one of which is very poor and one of which is definitely D25 but unclear as to green or blue, though cabside serif numbers indicate economy green.
It had a lion emblem in mid 1966 so not an early blue job.

Thanks Russell, so the likelihood is that they where in economy green and not original green with full yellow ends as per D193. They certainly are elusive in this version.

Cheers

Shane

Yes, well 25 was anyway, 26 I think was lined out and if 100 was-which I don't know for sure-it was also lined out.

100....well I just don't know. Surely there is a shot of it in green taken in the summer of 69 (there's a song in that somewhere) that will confirm or deny. I know I saw the bloody thing, I know I did, but the more time goes on the less sure I feel but I KNOW I saw it and I even wrote it in the back of my 1970s spotting notes listing all the pre TOPS locos I saw with a note it had GFYE and I wrote that 35 years or more ago. Maybe it was GFYE one end only, it's possible.

I even remember it having the secondman's window surround unpainted and that it was running no 2 end first on a mixed freight, on the slow lines! I don't think I dreamt it.....
Bear in mind I lived near to the MML and yet I have no memory at all of seeing a GFYE 44, not once. There were 4 of them but I do not recall seeing any! I clearly remember ex works blue no 2, being quite disappointed at seeing 8 blue as I recall it in GSYP shunting the local yard circa 1968 and wondering what the hell a Penyghent was, and I clearly recall cabbing D45 and being terrified aged maybe 3 or 4 at Derby Midland. And seeing GSYP 46s on the NESW trains with all blue/grey stock, 141 and 189 were common sights.
One of these days a phot will emerge.. 

Edited by Russell Saxton
  • Like 1

When did those 46s receive FYE Russ?

As you know, I have D25 on fleet strength for Summer '68 in eGFYE but I'd love to have excuse and legitimate reason to dial-in a 46 as well!

This is the gen I have for dates of GFYE for the few 46s that had it. There were many green locos with panels into 1971 and 147/63/5 lasted into 1972, 165 was lined. 

138 Green SYP 30/1/71 FYE by 22/2/71 In works Dec 71 blue by 1/2/72
154 SYP 2/3/71 and FYE 19/3/71 so March 71!
155 SYP 16/1/71 FYE 13/3/71
159 SYP 30/1/71 GFYE 10/4/71 still GFYE 18/12/71 Blue-dunno! reported RO July 72 so sometime between December 71-May 72. 
166 SYP 21/6/69 reported FYE RO Oct 69 still GFYE 18/7/70 blue ex works 16/10/70
188 First 27/9/69 blue by 19/8/70
193 First 15/1/70 still GFYE 2/10/70 blue by 22/12/70 

Edited by Russell Saxton

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.railwaysillustrated.com/

It's out tomorrow and lists the repaint dates green to blue of all the Peaks plus dates of FYE where known.

Russell,

I have just been reading your Green to Blue Peak article and have a couple of queries. In the list of "Dates to Blue", the following locos, 179,180,181,183,184,185, don't have a year date posted, it just says xx/xx/19 with the year not complete or a copy error. I assume the error is that it should say 69 not 19 but could you please confirm the correct dates for these locos.

Many thanks.

Paul J.

Yes I spotted that. I have alerted RI and they will publish a correction but in the meantime the correct dates are as follows.

179 25/03/1967

180 06/10/1967

181 15/12/1966

183 24/12/1966

184 07/11/1966

185 08/12/1966

Dates GENERALLY refer to release to traffic though in a few cases it refers to date the work was done, a few days before but there is no way to differentiate. The works records are not that detailed sadly though to know the month is probably enough for most modellers. I hope anyway!

Edited by Russell Saxton

There is one other that as is the way of these things came to light after the event, GFYE no 25 also lost its D prefix along with 30.

Hope you enjoyed the article and found the gen useful.

Yes Russell I've found all you livery articles interesting. That period of BR fascinates me for the multitude of livery and number variations, and the fact that info is so hard to come by so makes if a bit of fun trying to find it. I do like a good mystery!

Paul J.

PS. Thanks for the correction to the info.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Russ you owe me a beer.

14:20 in the video here, a very clear GFYE D25 at Mangotsfield in 1969. I spat my tea out in excitement (that's it for me this week in the excitement stakes, blood pressure can't take it). You tube won't allow embedding of this video unfortunately. 

https://youtu.be/bPuGERb4I30 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Downendian said:

Russ you owe me a beer.

14:20 in the video here, a very clear GFYE D25 at Mangotsfield in 1969. I spat my tea out in excitement (that's it for me this week in the excitement stakes, blood pressure can't take it). You tube won't allow embedding of this video unfortunately. 

Slightly off topic, but serifed D57 in BSYWP at 5 mins or so, D58 at 12 mins.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Downendian said:

Russ you owe me a beer.

What a fantastic video, thanks for posting the link.  I've subscribed to the channel and hope there's many more great videos to come.

Steve