Farish J39 Engineering Sample released......

Seanem44

Have Bachmann said this?

The retailer I have ordered mine through was told by Bachmann they would be along later in the month or poss even early November.

So I'm confused...

Regards

Roy

Showing as arriving at Rails of Sheffield today....

Cheers,

Alan

One  variant  is  now in Stock  at Hattons  (as is  the  Ivatt 2-6-0)

Yes, I just received an email from Hattons that they have charged my card for the J39 I pre-ordered.  Nothing yet about the Ivatt I also pre-ordered.

Matt

Yes, I just received an email from Hattons that they have charged my card for the J39 I pre-ordered.  Nothing yet about the Ivatt I also pre-ordered.

Matt

The LMS  & BR  Early  emblem  Ivatts  are in stock now  ( Late  Crest awaited)  

My J39/2 arrived this morning.

Very nice runner straight out of the box.  It arrived in the same box as my 2MT and comparisons were in order.  Both superb.

HOWEVER- forget the bumph in the reviews that say all new Farish steamers run at the same speed- my J39 is about 75% faster than my 2MT, 60% faster than my WD and 50% faster than my Black 5.  Note that no two of those run at the same speed as each other either.  Not an issue to me as I don't double-head, just a heads-up for those who do.....

post-13358-0-87797600-1382365861_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the quality but it was moving- video below shows it passing the 2MT.  Note the two tracks are commoned ready for DCC so both locos have the same voltage across them.

A couple more hours running and it will be into the workshops to become my second DCC J39 - the UM J39/3 is already chipped.  Then for a renumber assuming I can find a North Eastern one of the right sub-type, and weathering.

All the very best

Les

I received  a  J39  today  I actually  ordered  it  as  the  'Eastern Set'  ( not  bought a  train set  for  Many  many  years!) 

The  reason being  we  needed a Grey  Bogie  Bolster  and  another  Brake van  is  always  handy!  so  for £89  we  got  those  items  ( the loco is normally  priced  at Around £72  and  a  B Bolster  would  be around  £13  and  the  B Van around £6-£7.

So we  got hte additional bonus  of an analoge controller  and  an oval  of  track  Neither of  which  we will use  so  they  may soon appear in classifieds!

I did a  naughty thing  tonight!  I did not  test  the loco on DC first!  I simply  whipped the  tender  body off and  fitted  a  6 pin  decoder ( 5 minute job) placed it on a layout  and  it  went  like  a  rocket, so   CVs  adjusted  Acceleration to value 25, deceleration  to value 10  and  it  runs  like  a  dream!

The running  number  is 64880  from the 'set'  which is not  the same  as  the single locos, and  not  the  same  as the catalogue pic of the  set   

post-10539-0-85682600-1382730796.jpg

I've been looking through the Yeadon register to get a North Eastern J39/2 with flared out tender.  I've fixed on 64843, which was new in 1932 with a secondhand 4200 gall flared-top tender from a J38.  It was a Tweedmouth loco to August 1961, then Sunderland.  It gained a correct late crest on General Overhaul at Gorton in September 1958.  That makes it the only flared-top 4200 gall loco definitely to have plied the Durham Coast line with a late crest.

However, while looking this up I also looked up Farish's 64838.  Its last works visit was Gorton in July-August 1956.  This means it was NEVER repainted with late crest.  Gorton only started in 1957 with late crests, and even then the right-hand one was the wrong way round!  An easy mistake to make, and one I've made myself so I'm not criticising.   Dapol usually get it in the neck big time for a wrong crest- has anyone else spotted this one?

64838 was allocated to Norwich at Nationalisation (wartime transfer from Scotland- then Woodford Halse 4/50, Colwick 10/50, Tuxford 9/53, Stratford 1/55, Doncaster 3/55 and withdrawn January 1960. 

Looking at the last photo- 64880 also had its last General overhaul pre- late crest BUT had a heavy Intermediate overhaul in 1959 at Cowlairs which may well have included a repaint.  It was a Carlisle Canal loco at nationalisation (good Waverley route prototype) moving to Gorton in December 1960.  It was withdrawn in October 1962, one of the last of the class.

Hope this info helps someone- there were VERY few flared-top 4200 gallon tenders attached to J39s.  The ones built new for them were ALL flat-sided.  For this sub-class (J39/2) only transfers and secondhand tenders were flared-out.

All the very best

les

Thanks  Les!

64880  ended up at  Gorton  then   interewsting  that  My wife  lived  there! ( not  actually  athe  shed /works but close  by)

Interesting that yours is a pocket rocket just like mine.   I'm not advanced enough to alter speed curves in DCC yet, so I'll use mine on something that might run a little faster than 21 tonners, probably fish or other fast goods.

All the very best

Les

Interesting that yours is a pocket rocket just like mine.   I'm not advanced enough to alter speed curves in DCC yet, so I'll use mine on something that might run a little faster than 21 tonners, probably fish or other fast goods.

All the very best

Les

Hi  Les

Its  relatively  simple  to alter the  2 relevent  CVs  for  acceleration  and Braking

You just need to place loco on programming track  select  CV 3 thats the one  for Acceleration  and enter a value  from 0 to 255, in practice something  around 20  or 25  will probably be suitable,  then  CV4 for deceleration a value of  around 10  is usually about right.  and  thats  it, ( the higher the 'value' the longer it  takes to accelerate or decelerate)

Once you get used to playing around  with  these  CVs  you can make  adjustments to the  values  to suit  the loco type  .

Its always worth  entering  255 in CV3  just   to see what occurs, when the loco is run  ( you will have  time  to make a cup of  tea!)

• 1 month later...

I've just seen that Hattons has the LNER version in stock! This means I might have mine before Christmas!

Which brings up a questions. I assume the tender drive is the same as the B1 however does the loco use wiper pickups or is it a split frame chassis?

Which brings up a questions. I assume the tender drive is the same as the B1 however does the loco use wiper pickups or is it a split frame chassis?

The tender drive is B1, the loco has split frames, phosphor bronze bearings doing the power collection on the loco (i.e. of the newest design).

HTH,

Alan

Archived