The London Festival of Railway Modelling

BRMExhibitions

iD, never say never! It's useful to know the location of a tame operator on the continent.

Sorry I missed you at Ally Pally, but your laboratory is a gem.  But where was the still?  When I was an undergraduate we ran a distillery in the far corner of the Organic Chemistry lab.  Ok, the chemists may have been boring but, sure, we were always invited to parties!

Bill

Tame?

ha ha ha.

• RMweb Gold

I managed to attend the exhibition this year, was a pretty good show, and a good selection of layouts, do feel the trade stands seem to be growing in number, but I guess thats normal for a reasonably big / well attended show, even I brought something... which makes a change for me... I got round most of the layouts sadly limited on time, but was enjoyable few hours there. I managed to get some video clips of most of the layouts... i missed a few due to how busy they were... or I just generally missed them.Anyway hope you enjoy. [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpbuLTjm7JI[/media][media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPk3oCttiRI[/media]

Superb videos especially considering you were taking clips in a busy venue.

Finally watched the part with Banbury in it and was relieved that there was no hand of god or mishaps as we did have a few on the Saturday but was much better on the Sunday!

Ian

• 1 month later...

Once again full marks for the organisers of the Ally Pally exhibition. I went along with my son, Brian Daniels and another railway modelling close friend on Sunday.

Bus Service to exhibition 10/10;

Layouts (for me) 10/10;

Traders 10/10;

The state of the decor of Ally Pally 4/10;

Catering 0/10....I think they were taking the p**s with those prices, two packs of egg & cress sandwiches @ £11.00.....I soon put them back!

Although my friend moaned at the lack of steam era layouts I was more than satisfied with the appearance of Stoke Summit out again and the constant crowds watching the trains go by.....and waiting in anticipation for the next one to follow. Full marks to that team.............did I notice Tom Wright at the helm? This is certainly a layout that must tip the scales for anyone wanting to embark on railway modelling, so simple in principle but a true to prototype location, accurately portrayed and plenty of action. I look forward to seeing it out again.

My visit to Ally Pally was the first since 2010 and I was disappointed in its generally run down looking state. I know it is still under restoration but it is an important structure and landmark and I hope when I go next year (if it is to be held there again), that it has had a bit more TLC as the price of those sandwiches would pay for a complete set of carpets a few times over!!

It was also nice to bump in to fellow RM Web members Michael Delamar, Colin, L49  before embarking on an important 'hostelry' visit for some real 'medicine'. Sorry I missed Andy Y and hope he is recovering.

I look forward to next year!

FYI - ‘Cursed’ Alexandra Palace changes its luck with £24m revamp - http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cursed-alexandra-palace-changes-its-luck-with-24m-revamp-8608823.html

• RMweb Gold

If you can get lunch in London for less than £6 a head you're very lucky................

A "revamp" will encourage them to charge more not less.

Best, Pete.

Ticked 'like' but it only means I agree Pete - undoubtedly that sort of thing is the usual excuse for putting up prices.

Mike, Yes, it deserves to be said. People outside the area complain about high London salaries but tend to conveniently ignore the enormous outgoings for Londoners (and the commuter network).

When my Mother died back in 2001 I was staggered that her 3 bedroom semi-detached house (within walking distance of Shenfield Station) sold for way over £250K (the fact that you could get to the station within 7 minutes walk was apparently worth £10K)!!! People in her road rent out their driveways to commuters... This is, what? Twenty two miles from Liverpool Street Station?

Best, Pete.

Archived