Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Pete the weathering is done well.

Thanks Don

very nice hows the soldering going ?

Thanks Nic - still the same - 75% soldered and 25% cyno is about my limit :D

Looks like you can make some nice retaining walls with scalescene sheets as well

Using some odds and sods, as a test mock up, I can feel a diorama coming on

Very nice. I've used the scalescenes roof tile sheets and can also highly recommend them. Look forward to seeing your diorama.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

been of the circuit for a while with a trapped nerve following by a  sojourn in Yorkshire   Fish & Chips  in Whitbys fantastic :boast:

however I have managed to get some things moved along 

as usual I have yet to add couplings  :no:

Wagons posed on the area groups plank which is with me for some additional work ( fitting a storage / travel cover )

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Nick. What is the origins of the two high ended Brighton wagons, I rather like them.

Jerry

Jerry

Eddie's of this parish 3d prints via shapeways  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70522-2mm-scale-vintage-wagons-fxd-close-up-pics/

they are the best 3d prints (Shapeways prices went up but think they upgraded their machines) I've seen and they where the cheaper  FUD option....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Well, I haven't been totally idle for the last few weeks. Besides exhibiting Ashburton at Melksham back in April - and thoroughly enjoying the experience - I have been adding to the inventory of watering holes in Totnes. I completed the Dartmouth Inn and have just added the Royal Seven Stars Hotel so the the town is now well supplied. Together with the Regency terrace, the Totnes Plains area is largely complete.

post-18048-0-72681700-1436195610_thumb.jpg

The Rergency terrace

post-18048-0-99824700-1436195630_thumb.jpg

The Royal Seven Stars Hotel

post-18048-0-64662900-1436195662_thumb.jpg

General view of The Plains with the town and Castle in the background

As the buildings are in the middle distance on the layout, i have taken a few shortcuts. All are constructed from mounting board with layers of card added to give relief. The basic shells were drawn out on a CAD program, printed on paper and then stuck to mounting board and used as a cutting guide. Window were simply areas printed black for the glazing and were covered in Transpaseal (self-adhesive clear film) to give them a shine. On top, i added a layer of printed thin card with window and door openings cut out and further card layers for cills, cornices, gutter boards, etc. Roofs were simply CAD drawn slates, printed on paper, with the horizontal courses scored with a biro and stuck to card roof slopes. .Each building was painted with base coats of emulsion (sample pots) and finished and weathered with acrylics.

post-18048-0-93090000-1436196923_thumb.jpg

The above shows the CAD artwork for the front elevation of the Regency Terrace. The CAD file is separated into layers for printing.

Now I must get on to finish and paint the Saint.

John

• Like 16

Thank you all for your comments.

@ Don - I am delighted that it captures the feel of Totnes, despite the liberties that I have taken.

@ Southernboy - the balcony railings are proprietary etches, I think from Scalelink. I will check to see if I have any packaging from them and post further information. I must have had them for years so I have no idea if they are still available. (Love your Frankland layout.)

Best wishes,

John

• RMweb Gold

Just beautiful John. Yet again you demonstrate how relatively simple techniques can produce stunning results when in very skilled hands.

Am I right in saying that the layout view above is from the operators side, not the viewers.

Jerry

Lovely work, John. How long did that take?

Regards,

David Varley

David,

For the Royal Seven Stars Hotel, I guess that the research (OS map, Google Earth and my photos) and then the CAD drawing took a few hours a day spread over a couple of weeks. Then the making of the structure took about a week. The most complicated bit was the porte cochere at the main entrance - the upper floor with the curved corner windows was made out of a cut-down Peco wagon box which was just the right size, with paper and card layers on top. Then painting and weathering took a further couple of days and a similar time to bed the building in and do the paving. All in all, not too long for quite a complex building.

John