Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Pics:

DSC 0090 copy

The two vans on the right are the ones that have been complete for some time. On the left is the first of the current batch. Complete with vents.

DSC 0091 copy

Progress on second of current batch with completed chassis waiting in background.

Edited by Yorkshire Square
  • Like 3

Guest bri.s

Now to counter the rumour I never finish anything :dontknow:

DSC_4060a.jpg

Lighting is RGB LED and warm white LED strips (I may use a Arduino to play with the colour balance in the future). Lineside fencing is laser cut 0.8mm ply using my new toy and more importantly test trains have been run.

Now to play extensively test

That is lovely ,very well modelled and presented

Like 3d art

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Following on from post 1274, connecting the radius rod to the expansion link on the P2 has been achieved by bending an extension of the rod back on itself and tucking it into a hole where the radius rod is driven by the expansion link. The first photo shows the rod beginning to be bent. Important to keep annealing the steel to prevent it work hardening and fracturing. Second photo shows the pivot a little more closed with the expansion link in place. The third photo shows the back of the link (in reverse gear) with the pivot running in the inner slot of the expansion link - the expansion link pivot is silver soldered to the front slot. The final photo shows the front of the radius rod (in forward gear); a little bit of soft solder and wire was run in to the rearward gap between the link and radius rod to beef it up a bit. The long tab at the front will be folded round the top of the combination lever to make the forked joint that drives the valve rod just below.

Tim

post-13388-0-36096800-1461416954_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-43817700-1461417009_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-66616800-1461417040_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-34769200-1461417068_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Did not take long to get bored playing testing I think I prefer trying to build things.  This time trying what I could do with the new toy

Coach file was courtesy of James Harrison in 4mm however the overlay is to delicate to laser  the embryo  SDJR brake van looks good in ply if over scale I think I may mix media and overlay in card with a  ply base.   And yes  I know you can etch such things but that is far beyond my skills.

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That does look good - I take it that's card overlay on the ply base.

It is card on ply the card overlays need some stretching to make nice clean angles the window sash also needs thickening so it cuts cleanly

other than that I'm very happy with the result  :declare:

Nick

• RMweb Premium

more playing with the toy this time a  EKR van 

the SDJR brake van has been revised just waiting for some ply to try again  and then work out some chassis

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 1

Still banana vans. The saga draws to a close though!

Painted and awaiting decals:

2dtx9uf.jpg

Arrived home to a small parcel from Cambridge Custom Transfers. :D

Busy evening's work:

2e2htgo.jpg

This was the first time I've used CCT and I'm very impressed. The small blob to the right is my impression of a Fyffes label. I did try printing my own decal for this feature, but after much cussing I got the paints out! It'll look better with a bit of weathering... :D

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Still banana vans. The saga draws to a close though!

Painted and awaiting decals:

2dtx9uf.jpg

Arrived home to a small parcel from Cambridge Custom Transfers. :D

Busy evening's work:

2e2htgo.jpg

This was the first time I've used CCT and I'm very impressed. The small blob to the right is my impression of a Fyffes label. I did try printing my own decal for this feature, but after much cussing I got the paints out! It'll look better with a bit of weathering... :D

Nice work, Tony. Admire your perseverance at producing a batch which is pretty much essential for banana vans as they didn't tend to come in singles or pairs.

I do wish that some enterprising manufacturer would do some trader labels for 2mm scale. All seem to stop at 4mill at present.

David

• Like 2