Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Nice work, Tony. Admire your perseverance at producing a batch which is pretty much essential for banana vans as they didn't tend to come in singles or pairs.

I do wish that some enterprising manufacturer would do some trader labels for 2mm scale. All seem to stop at 4mill at present.

David

Thanks David. Actually it was pretty therapeutic making a batch, by the last one I had an idea what I ought to be doing! ;) And of course, a batch of wagons makes it more worthwhile getting the paints out. There are another three vans in my box unstarted, but I'm determined to work through a swathe of unfinished projects first. As well as the banana decals, I acquired GUV, Palbrick and Grampus, so a fair few items should be moving to stock boxes in the near future. :D 

As you say, some trader labels would be a good idea; I didn't check the CCT list, but I'm sure he'd be willing to give it consideration especially if they're available in larger scales. He seems to have a massive range, some items being very esoteric.

One thing I did learn, the CCT decals don't take kindly to enamel thinners. I learnt the hard way, it probably mentions it in the instructions!

• RMweb Premium

As you say, some trader labels would be a good idea; I didn't check the CCT list, but I'm sure he'd be willing to give it consideration especially if they're available in larger scales. He seems to have a massive range, some items being very esoteric.

John Isherwood (CCT) doesn't list any. The nearest that he gets is BL99 Wagon and Van Chalk Markings but only available in scales 3mm to 10mm. The company who did make the labels seems to have disappeared as an independent but the labels are available in 4mm scale from Parkside Dundas:

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/HOLLAR_MODELS.html

Shame, Tony, second item down is Fyffes bananas! You'll have to move up a scale . . .

David

Edited by DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

some more work on the EKR Van  what is apparent once painted is I need to be more careful with the filler may be better to use a wood-filler instead of the plastic putty  :scratchhead:  and although the black card overlays cut really well they are a pain to align cleanly perhaps I should paint them first ?

still almost there and it looks like the association MR 9' chassis will fit both this and the SDJR brake van ( fortunate as I have two in my gloat box) witha  bit of adaption   :butcher:

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 6

Grampus (Grampi? Dunno...)

Long built and knocking around, these have finally claimed a coat of paint and decals. I built one using the Fencehouses etch. James built the other using the underframe that came with the kit, but with etched W irons inserted for the 2FS wheelsets. He must have been 11 when he built that...

35d3w2v.jpg

Also, this wee beastie:

ve2j61.jpg

A jig for mounting couplings, this must be nearly thirty years old. Fitting the couplings to the banana vans I was strangely disquieted. A quick check with the jig revealed that the coupler seats on the kit sit 6mm above rail height. I've always used 5.5mm (I think this is right!). Luckily I'd only done one wagon, so I whipped those off and shimmed the refits with 10 thou plasticard. The lower gauge should slide under the coupling once fitted; handy for revealing any droop! Also critical for BB couplings where the buffer element of the coupling slopes down from the main fixing. I'm now moving over to DG which are compatible with BB, so I can retrofit at my leisure.

• Like 1

Grampus (Grampi? Dunno...)

Long built and knocking around, these have finally claimed a coat of paint and decals. I built one using the Fencehouses etch. James built the other using the underframe that came with the kit, but with etched W irons inserted for the 2FS wheelsets. He must have been 11 when he built that...

35d3w2v.jpg

Also, this wee beastie:

ve2j61.jpg

A jig for mounting couplings, this must be nearly thirty years old. Fitting the couplings to the banana vans I was strangely disquieted. A quick check with the jig revealed that the coupler seats on the kit sit 6mm above rail height. I've always used 5.5mm (I think this is right!). Luckily I'd only done one wagon, so I whipped those off and shimmed the refits with 10 thou plasticard. The lower gauge should slide under the coupling once fitted; handy for revealing any droop! Also critical for BB couplings where the buffer element of the coupling slopes down from the main fixing. I'm now moving over to DG which are compatible with BB, so I can retrofit at my leisure.

All the etched chassis I have have seen have that coupling mount level with the bottom of the bufferbeam, which would be 6mm. Mine are certainly that way, and I never made any attempt to get a certain target height, given they are coupling agnostic. Too high is better than too low.

Interesting jig. But why is it ballasted?

• RMweb Premium

almost finished the SDJR Brake and EKR Van I have nothing suitable for transfers at the moment ( lots of Alphabet sheets without and R's )and as usual couplings to fit  :derisive:  In retrospect I should have used the associations MR brake chassis,  for info the  van is braked on one side only

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 8

John Isherwood (CCT) doesn't list any. The nearest that he gets is BL99 Wagon and Van Chalk Markings but only available in scales 3mm to 10mm. The company who did make the labels seems to have disappeared as an independent but the labels are available in 4mm scale from Parkside Dundas:

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/HOLLAR_MODELS.html

Shame, Tony, second item down is Fyffes bananas! You'll have to move up a scale . . .

David

If you get no joy from talking to Mr Isherwood then it would be possible to do some custom artwork and get some printed. I'm happy to help but this does seem like an perfect product for CCT (in multiple scales) so I think you should definitely explore that option as a first step. I have no desire to duplicate stuff that is or could easily be available elsewhere.

Probably a good idea to collate some usable photos of the real thing too - preferably in colour.

Regards, Andy

almost finished the SDJR Brake and EKR Van I have nothing suitable for transfers at the moment ( lots of Alphabet sheets without and R's )and as usual couplings to fit  :derisive:  In retrospect I should have used the associations MR brake chassis,  for info the  van is braked on one side only

attachicon.gifDSC_4175a.jpg

Nick

Have you thought about using Railtech decals?

post-6928-0-76926300-1463135918_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
On 13/05/2016 at 12:26, nick_bastable said:

I have but a fault on their site prevents me from ordering using chrome or good old IE   :cry:  ( i have notified them)

problem resolved transfers on there way good customer service from railtech

Nick

terrific service ordered yesterday afternoon with me this morning

The last area group meet had   two members complaining about that I always photograph models on a cutting mat,   to prove other wise here are the two wagons lettered  but awaiting a  sealing varnish posing on line no20 not sure how a SDJR brake van ended up in SE Kent though  :scratchhead:

amended with update 

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

As a diversion from rolling stock, I hunted out the various bits of etches that I'd secreted away to make a start on point rodding. I'd always promised myself that Brafferton would have some intimation of this important part of the pw, but to date have not really done much about it. Some reading up on the basics was the first step; what better place to start than the Associations own Track book?

On the workbench. Various bits are assembled in to sub-assemblies:

el7ig5.jpg

Throw for locking mechanism. The Association etches are also in this snap.

11vpk77.jpg

Some temperature compensators soldered to a piece of sleeper.

On the layout:

1z6ti4x.jpg

Part of the locking mechanism in place with the throw rodding to it and a throw which will lead to the other half of the crossing. Obviously the run of rodding to the first throw is yet to be complete.

1112z9f.jpg

A run of rodding heading back toward the lever frame in the station area. All I have done is superglued small pieces of microstrip to represent the stool. Once painted and weathered, I don't think this simplification will be apparent.

b707ky.jpg

The temperature compensators in situ. As I'd laid my ballast using undiluted Easitrac glue, it is still very rubbery and easy to clear sites for the various fixings, whether rodding stools or sleepers with cranks/throws etc.

• Like 17

Guest bri.s

Even in a small scale, point rodding looks great

Compliments your very nice trackwork well

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I had a sheet of custom Decals in the pipeline for other reasons so I thought I'd have a bash at some trader labels.

The Aberthaw Cement ones seem to be plain black on white in colour photos... which also fitted in with the available colours on the rest of the sheet.

post-9623-0-61251400-1466600013_thumb.jpg

Apologies about the dodgy old Peco underframe. It's a van I built quite a long time ago.

Regards, Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I had a sheet of custom Decals in the pipeline for other reasons so I thought I'd have a bash at some trader labels.

The Aberthaw Cement ones seem to be plain black on white in colour photos... which also fitted in with the available colours on the rest of the sheet.

attachicon.gifP1050739.JPG

Apologies about the dodgy old Peco underframe. It's a van I built quite a long time ago.

Regards, Andy

Well done on the labels, Andy! Look forward to seeing them on Saturday.

David

Are there any banana labels in your sheet Andy? :D

Sadly not. This print run had a limited set of colours.

I'm happy to give it a go if someone can get me some decent images so that I know what I'm aiming for.

Regards, Andy

• RMweb Premium

looks like I missed an excellent supermeet  :nono:

however I have made this for the area groups shunting plank (subject to the foremans approval)

1mm laser etched/cut  mdf, scalescenes roofing,  guttering /chimneys to add when a location is established

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 2

looks like I missed an excellent supermeet  :nono:

however I have made this for the area groups shunting plank (subject to the foremans approval)

attachicon.gifDSC_4314a.jpg

1mm laser etched/cut  mdf, scalescenes roofing,  guttering /chimneys to add when a location is established

Nick

That looks fab Nick - where are you buying your 1mm mdf from out of interest?

SaveSave