Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium

Tuesday nights work. Can you tell what it is yet?

Hint: it may be running on Copenhagen Fields on Saturday.

Tim

Another unfinished loco?  :jester:

Did you make any more progress on "Lord President"?

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

End of Wednesday night (actually Thursday morning)

2mqszkh.jpg

Dave: Lord President is in abeyance whilst working on the layout and getting locos ready for Warley. Will resume work on the P2 shortly.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

1630 Thursday. Engine running. Needs valve gear weathering and brakes fitted etc.

29z5uys.jpg

I had originally turned down the Dapol wheels to convert it to finescale but could not get rid of a terrible wooden leg. Total build time of new chassis about 16 hrs.

We can't have CF on exhibition without an A3! Fingers crossed that she works OK and settles in.....

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

1630 Thursday. Engine running. Needs valve gear weathering and brakes fitted etc.

I had originally turned down the Dapol wheels to convert it to finescale but could not get rid of a terrible wooden leg. Total build time of new chassis about 16 hrs.

We can't have CF on exhibition without an A3! Fingers crossed that she works OK and settles in.....

Tim

Lovely, and very rapid work. So how come it took so long to build the various singles then, they had fewer wheels and considerably less visible valve gear - although I do seem to remember the MR spinner had inside motion!!

Out of interest, have you retained the Dapol motion?

Jerry

29z5uys.jpg

Tim

And there was me thinking you'd finally gotten around to making a chassis for a K3!

Lovely work Tim, I look forward to seeing it running over the weekend! Just out of question, what gear ratio have you gone for?

• RMweb Premium

Papyrus is fitted with a Portescap 1016 motor and 1:4 gear head. The loco has a 20:1 worm and wheel. I have retained the Dapol drive shaft for simplicity - one less thing to make. The coupling rods are Association etches and the connecting rods were replaced with ones from an etch I had knocking around. The return crank is halved in throw - the original Dapol valve gear has a greater throw than the cranks! The other bits were thinned down in situ as much as possible, but once weathered will look OK at 4' range.

Tim Shackleton had subtly weathered the engine originally ~ it needs going over again and finishing touches such as the balance weights, adding a crew, painting the wheel centre's etc.

In answer to Jerry's comment about time: I have made a number of engines very quickly indeed. The D2 and J50 chassis were each completed in a day. This is my 9th scratch built mechanism - Lord President will be number 10. All of them (except the Johnson Single} have have used the two little brass tubes and the same 14BA nuts and bolts (visible in the first photo) to line up the frames. You could call it heritage.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few weeks I've been working on the little challenge which we in the Forth & Clyde Area Group set ourselves, namely to produce a small 2mm scale diorama 20cm x 16cm, the only stiulation being that it must include track.  I decided to use this to try out some ideas I had for the buildings for Kirkallanmuir, in particular using the downloadable building papers from Smart Models (http://www.smartmodels.co.uk/) - usual disclaimer.   My initial trials can be seen on our blog of the November meeting at http://2mmfcag.blogspot.com/2016/11/november-2016-meeting.html .  The weighbridge office is now complete.

post-25077-0-06011900-1481234485.jpg

The weighbridge itself is a spare etch I had left over from the one for Kirkallanmuir.  Behind is the platform and warehouse building, the former still to receive its facing and surface and the shell of the latter still with the draft printout lightly attached.   The ground texture has still to be added too.  There will be a sleeper fence in line with the back wall of the office separating the railway companies property from that of Watson and Jones.

The office is destined for the layout, but the warehouse building on the layout will be longer and in fuller relief.

Jim

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Recently off my workbench are a couple of turnouts for the fiddleyard on Copenhagen Fields. Most people will know that brass and nickel strip is used and the challenge was to make something comparably robust.

I used the plain strip rail on a sheet of PCB. Check rails are extended to aid reliable running through the crossing and the tiebar has a wider throw than normal to avoid any possibility of wheels catching on the blades.

The rails on the diverging road are left loose to enable final alignment when installed and they are simply tack soldered together for protection.

post-7249-0-38059800-1481274452_thumb.jpg

I found this to be a good way of making turnouts for fiddleyards. I used 0.8mm PCB sheet so it would match normal 2mm soldered trackwork.

The rail is soldered all the way along as I felt that tack soldering might give rise to expansion and contraction problems.

Electrical gapping was simply a matter of scraping suitable gaps in the copper and a single sawcut to isolate the crossing.

Mark

• Like 16

Earlier in the week I attended the Lancashire and Yorkshire Group eastern meeting hosted by Brian in Northallerton. As well as a good natter and the chance to scoff cake and drink tea, the evening afforded time to make a start on a buffer stop for Hull Bridge:

2z5rc49.jpg

I've also been sketching a few ideas for scenery to the rear of the layout:

14461qr.jpg

Track laying continues steadily, another batch of rail has just landed from shop 1 which will allow the final point to be fabricated.

• Like 5

OK, not 2mm finescale. But on my workbench, and a model train  - unlike some other thread on here :-)

The real thing is what pulls (or pushes) me nearly every day. Although we don't often get the CFL-Cargo branded ones.

Chris

post-1605-0-64586600-1481663443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 2

As finished as it will get. Chassis kit is a delight and I recommend it to everyone. Model has as much lead packed in as space allows but is still fairly light yet the Higgs design just purrs along. Should be much better after running in.

It might have trouble stopping though, what with not having any brakes!

Chris

ABS Beaver Flatiron mated to a 2mm Association 4F chassis kit.

Opted for 10.5mm wheels rather than the 11mm so it looks a tad out of proportion. The ultrasonic cleaner produced a lot of pitting on the castings which will need more filling and rubbing to sort out. It also needs to be lowered by about 10 thou.

No brakes again. . . and because it can never stop moving hopefully nobody will notice.

post-15858-0-57574500-1482061937_thumb.jpg

post-15858-0-71873600-1482061969_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Further progress on the diorama.  The sleeper fencing has been added and the ground surface is now in place.  Warehouse and loading bank still to be worked on.

post-25077-0-90336100-1482096910.jpg

The sleeper fence is lengths of 40 x 60thou styrene strip (OK, I know it should be 35x65, but I'm not that fussy!) attached to a strip of 20 x 10 thou along just below the top.  Three sleepers on each section of fence being longer and glued into holes in the base.  Before cutting up the strip it was lightly scored with irregular lines along the faces to give a 'woodgrain' texture to the surface.  Next time I will paint the edges prior to cutting it up as it was a pain to paint in between the sleepers once it was assembled.  The imprints of the chairs were made by using the end of a piece of 60 x 40 to 'stamp' them on with a variety of shades of 'rust'.

The ground surface is my usual DAS slurry.  The building locates on 4 pegs in the board which fit into holes in the floor (there are also four pegs in the baseboard where it is to eventually go on the layout) and it was wrapped in cling film (thanks for that tip, Steve) while the slurry was applied and left to dry. 

To fit the fence, some PVA was put into the locating holes and a ridge of slurry formed along the line of the fence.  The longer sleepers were then located into the holes and the fence bedded down into the ridge and the sleepers aligned.  Once the slurry has dried out the fence is remarkably firm and rigid.

Detail work (weeds, puddles etc.) remains to be done.

Meanwhile all the etched doors and windows for the warehouse have been soldered up and are currently drying off after a good wash in CIF prior to being painted.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

More progress on the diorama.  The loading bank and warehouse have now been clad in the printed stonework and the latter has had its sash windows glazed and fitted along with the doors.  It has still to be fixed to the back-scene and have its roof fixed in place and slated.  I was going to try painting a church steeple on the back-scene, but decided not to chance my luck after the crudely painted sky and clouds turned out much better than I had ever thought I could achieve!   :paint:  :nono:  :scared:   Artist I am NOT!!

post-25077-0-32983400-1482855875_thumb.jpg

Messrs. Watson and Jones will be moving to larger premises in due course!    :yes:

Jim

• Like 6

I've come back to the brake van I started sometime in March. It needs a roof, foot boards, and possibly brakes. I say possibly because once the foot boards are there I'm not sure they'll be visible and I have no idea how to do them either. Thoughts welcomed. Also, is there a recommended weight for brakevans? This is very light and I'm a bit worried about it staying on the track.

Great Northern 20T Brakevan:

IMG_9419_zpsr913roki.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've come back to the brake van I started sometime in March. It needs a roof, foot boards, and possibly brakes. I say possibly because once the foot boards are there I'm not sure they'll be visible and I have no idea how to do them either. Thoughts welcomed. Also, is there a recommended weight for brakevans? This is very light and I'm a bit worried about it staying on the track.

Great Northern 20T Brakevan:

IMG_9419_zpsr913roki.jpg

that is looking very nice and been partial to brake vans is there a plan on line for one of these ?  ( thinking it may make a nice laser cut version  :scratchhead: )

cant help with the weight thing but it is a subject I have been thinking about with light wagons etc  going walkies when pushed 

NIck

............. It needs a roof, foot boards, and possibly brakes. I say possibly because once the foot boards are there I'm not sure they'll be visible and I have no idea how to do them either. 

Even though the brakes might not be immediately visible, their absence might be!  I had this experience with the first 6-wheeled coaches i built many years ago.  I thought the brake blocks would be invisible behind the lower footboards, but when they were finished something just didn't look right.  The overhang at the ends looked to be too long, but checking showed the dimension to be correct.  It then dawned on me that the brake blocks made the wheels look 'fatter' and so reduced the apparent end overhang.

As to making them, some wagon underframe etches have extra sets of brakes (eg. where there is a choice of single side or both sides brakes).  You could chop up the left overs to get what you need.  I have quite a pile.  Contact me off list if you would like some.

Jim

Even though the brakes might not be immediately visible, their absence might be!  I had this experience with the first 6-wheeled coaches i built many years ago.  I thought the brake blocks would be invisible behind the lower footboards, but when they were finished something just didn't look right.  The overhang at the ends looked to be too long, but checking showed the dimension to be correct.  It then dawned on me that the brake blocks made the wheels look 'fatter' and so reduced the apparent end overhang.

As to making them, some wagon underframe etches have extra sets of brakes (eg. where there is a choice of single side or both sides brakes).  You could chop up the left overs to get what you need.  I have quite a pile.  Contact me off list if you would like some.

Jim

I thought it would need something in there. I have a few left over etches and mangled underframes that should give up enough brakes to do the job.