Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium

Too busy using it for model-making?? :secret:

It goes near patient's ex teeth in our clinical skills lab (phantom head room in Jim's parlance). Amalgam restoration placed last Tuesday, polished today as a demo to students.

2hn1d95.jpg

Tim

• Like 1

It goes near patient's ex teeth in our clinical skills lab (phantom head room in Jim's parlance). Amalgam restoration placed last Tuesday, polished today as a demo to students.

2hn1d95.jpg

Tim

Very neat solder blob sculpting,  do you have a special soldering iron for use on patients ? 

- Nigel

We've just found an ESU Sound Decoder Tester, brand new in its packaging together with three DCC decoders, one is a ZTC 225 sound decoder but cannot identify the others. They appear to say ATMEL MEGA 168. One has 9 leads and the other only 4 although they seem otherwise identical. They measure 20mm x 12mm approx. I think they were all originally sound decoders Plus there's a few odd bits and pieces with them.

Is any one interested? If so send me a message. If you know what they might be worth also send me a message of this site.

Thanks

Oli

post-12886-0-29291500-1487170319_thumb.jpg

Oli,  I don't think any of those are sound decoders - insufficient wires, wrong sizes and wrong wire colour codes (and in ZTC's case, the sound decoder numbers started at 400 and they were much bigger).    The difference between the two unidentified is the plug-in harness which is removable from each.   Value of antique decoders, next to nothing.   (Same as "what's an old 1999 cellphone worth ?" ).     

The decoder tester is an old version of a product which ESU still make, may be useful, but value it against the current newer model which has some of the newer connector sockets fitted. 

I continue to help clear out 2mm stuff for a friend. Thought these might be of interest with suggested prices,

But open to offers to clear

:

Wheel Specifications for the Modeller. Mike Sharman selling at £5           £2

Build an 0-6-0 in 2mm Scale. David Holland                                              £6

Historic Wagon Drawings in 4mm Scale. F J Roche                                   £6

Historic Locomotive Drawings in 4mm Scale. F J Roche                            £12

An Introduction to Split Frame Chassis Design. 2mm Association              £5

The Beginner’s Guide to 2mm Modelling. The 2mm Association                £5

The 2mm Handbook. 1990                                                                         £4

Loco Bits and Pieces. Pete Wright. 2mm Association                                 £6

Model Railways Bassett-Lowke Catalogue 1954 edition                            £8

Track How it Works and How to Model It. The 2mm Scale Association      £8

Modelling the Old Time Railways, Edward Beal. (selling for £74!!)           Offers?

Modelling in 000 Gauge. E F Carter                                                           £5

Railwayman’s Pocket-Book. Instructions for Drivers & Firemen. OOP       £5

Digital Command Control. Guide to DCC                                                   £2

Introduction to DCC for Railway Modellers. Nigel Burkin.                           £5

We knew the Beal book was a classic but £74!!!!! Anyone care to make an offer but promise not to sell it on.

Regards

Oli

• RMweb Premium

Having painted and weathered the driving wheels and valve gear on Lord President it has now been re-assembled and oiled up for running.

1zp6ulh.jpg

I have placed a couple of videos on Youtube of it under power.

https://youtu.be/JVbW7V1EOnc

https://youtu.be/Kea8qGPtgRE

Hopefully see how it performs on the MRC test track on Sunday.

Tim

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Lord President went for a stroll on the MRC test tracks today. Twenty two carriages was approaching the limit on the curve (I then noticed that one of the bogies was off), but 16 was a walk in the park. That was the maximum train length out of KX, so good enough for government work.

Tim

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Tim, Does the Restaurant? which is three coaches spread over four bogies count as three or as one?

Depends who is counting Gareth, restaurant kitchen cars are heavier than normal carriages. We were running out of teak bogie coaches and tacking on the Silver Jubilee and Queen of Scots Pullman set would have been a bit daft.

Tim

It runs beautifully - congratulations.   I noticed you powered the P2 with a loco mounted gearhead motor - have you generally moved away from tender mounted motors and cardan shaft drive or was there simply enough space in the P2 so you thought why not?   

Guy

• RMweb Premium

It's such a big engine that you could have a party in the firebox, Guy. LP weighed in at 130g without the motor, gearboxes and flywheel. There is space for even more weight, but that is not needed. The Maxon 816 motor and 1:4 gearbox is not excessively long and has worked well in our 0-6-0s on the layout. My original idea was to have a 1016 motor driving direct onto the rear axle from the firebox, but the third axle drive is a better option mechanically. The final drive gearbox is from Exactoscale: it's a touch noisy at the moment but might quieten down.

Tim

Having painted and weathered the driving wheels and valve gear on Lord President it has now been re-assembled and oiled up for running.

1zp6ulh.jpg

I have placed a couple of videos on Youtube of it under power.

Hopefully see how it performs on the MRC test track on Sunday.

Tim

Hi Tim,

The P2 looks fantastic! A quick question if I may; how did you line the axle ends? I've managed to get some nice black circles on my repainted Dapol A3 (will become Humorist c. 1938) and lined the outer part of the wheel. However, the white lining on the center of the wheel has so far defeated me... Any help and/or advice you could give would be most gratefully received.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They are far from perfect. I painted a large white disc and then a smaller black disk on top. Where there are imperfections in the white line, the effect is of radial oil splashes & weathering on it. That's my story, anyway.

Tim

• Like 2

They are far from perfect. I painted a large white disc and then a smaller black disk on top. Where there are imperfections in the white line, the effect is of radial oil splashes & weathering on it. That's my story, anyway.

Tim

Thank you Tim, I'll give that a go!

• RMweb Premium

Turning to simpler stuff, I have made the reversing linkage for Lord President. It was bent up from a strip of steel with the guide slot outer covers soldered on where the two running plate brackets provide backing to the link. The slot at the back end scarcely did anything useful, but at least I know it's there. On the prototype it tucks up under the valance at the front, which is solid on LP, so the top needed filing down in that area.

2exlaqf.jpg

The 'face' of a streamliner is very much given by the buffers, with buffer housings that are very slender affairs (body 0.9 mm diameter, 2.4 mm long, buffer shank 0.5 mm diameter). The bodies were turned up from some syringe needle and Araldited into holes drilled through the nose casting. It's rather important to get these straight, so the photo below shows how I set it up whilst the 24hr epoxy is setting.

2ypjfr9.jpg

Final photo shows the prototype: quite a lot of photographic distortion and poor background editing on the far side buffer in this hefty enlargement.

29ptaf8.jpg

Tim

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Making good a mistake....

When I drilled out the buffer holes, I used the witness marks that Phil Kerr had put in the original A4 casting. These were a bit too wide, which I adjusted for, but I assumed the height would be correct. So, on checking I found them about 0.75mm too high. Perhaps this is one of the many subtle differences between the proportions of the A4 and P2 streamlined fairing.

The shanks were therefore extracted and the drill that had been used to drill the holes was used to rasp the holes down to where they should be. Clearly, the buffers would now be a horribly floppy fit: perhaps the difference could be taken up with Araldite. A better solution, however, was to flow some low melt solder into the holes, flooded with plenty of phosphoric acid flux, with the drill stock in place. Soft solder will not stick to a bright metal drill shank, so it could be removed easily. The excess material was then paired back (the new near side hole has been roughly tidied up the picture) and we start again with new shanks at the correct height, curing as I post this.

fo3itw.jpg

Tim

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Change of loco size this evening. The Park 0-6-0 tank that has trundled round the NLR on a coal train with a Jinty for the last dozen years - more or less continuously - failed to proceed at the Stevenage show, having had a few problems previously at Warley. On examination, I couldn't really see what was wrong. Clearly a nicely throated worm wheel. Reality was of course, on comparison with a new one, that it was skew cut and worn out!

2uske2b.jpg

The worn out worm wheel was removed from the muff with a hot soldering iron along with the front wheels. A new muff and gear was re fitted to the axle and the whole lot back together and running within the hour. The motor setting did not need disturbing, but there was head room at the end of the drive shaft to slip on the new worm. The loco axles were not significantly worn. The Maxon 816 motor and gearbox is perfectly sound and doesn't know it's done any work.

2uysy2t.jpg

This Maxon motor gearbox set up is an expensive one, but 12 years of hard running on our layout is worth a lot.

Tim

• Like 8

Change of loco size this evening. The Park 0-6-0 tank that has trundled round the NLR on a coal train with a Jinty for the last dozen years - more or less continuously - failed to proceed at the Stevenage show, having had a few problems previously at Warley. On examination, I couldn't really see what was wrong. Clearly a nicely throated worm wheel. Reality was of course, on comparison with a new one, that it was skew cut and worn out!2uske2b.jpg

The worn out worm wheel was removed from the muff with a hot soldering iron along with the front wheels. A new muff and gear was re fitted to the axle and the whole lot back together and running within the hour. The motor setting did not need disturbing, but there was head room at the end of the drive shaft to slip on the new worm. The loco axles were not significantly worn. The Maxon 816 motor and gearbox is perfectly sound and doesn't know it's done any work. 2uysy2t.jpg

This Maxon motor gearbox set up is an expensive one, but 12 years of hard running on our layout is worth a lot.

Tim

Be good to see it back on the NLR