Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Bodies for three Furness Railway Horse Boxes (1871 design) - all plasticard/strip construction with Scale Link mesh added. Photos of them are very rare (I've only seen two and both of those are from a distance) so the models are based on drawings and the London Road Models 4mm kit.

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

Next job is to to clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner and then paint the insides.

Chassis will be the 2mm 9'6" wheelbase version.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of pics of a MR 2P 483 class loco and Johnson 3,250 gal tender. These are from the first test etch, and the loco etch in particular needs a lot of amendments, so this one will end up as scrap. 

post-12813-0-52665800-1508687757_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-32942100-1508687772_thumb.jpg

There were a number of clearance issues on the loco, and I've had to use 13mm drivers instead of the original plan to use 14mm ones. The front of the chassis has also been angled in to give more play to the front bogie wheels. The intention to use either a 21:1 or 30:1 worm set has been abandoned in favour of a 30:1 arrangement only. I'm using one of the Chinese  7mm diameter motoors in the tender, though the design will cater for 8mm or 10mm too. Its hard to judge the performance of the motor accurately as I've still to add crankpins and rods to the drivers, plus some weight over them, and as a result the driven axle just slips on the track when power is applied to the motor.

Nig H

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of pics of a MR 2P 483 class loco and Johnson 3,250 gal tender. These are from the first test etch, and the loco etch in particular needs a lot of amendments, so this one will end up as scrap. 

attachicon.gifMR 483 2P (7).JPG

attachicon.gifMR 483 2P (5).JPG

There were a number of clearance issues on the loco, and I've had to use 13mm drivers instead of the original plan to use 14mm ones. The front of the chassis has also been angled in to give more play to the front bogie wheels. The intention to use either a 21:1 or 30:1 worm set has been abandoned in favour of a 30:1 arrangement only. I'm using one of the Chinese  7mm diameter motoors in the tender, though the design will cater for 8mm or 10mm too. Its hard to judge the performance of the motor accurately as I've still to add crankpins and rods to the drivers, plus some weight over them, and as a result the driven axle just slips on the track when power is applied to the motor.

Nig H

Looks nice and I probably wouldn't spot any errors. The fact that it is slipping suggests there is enough power available.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Nig H

just wish that one of my numerous failures was half as good as this

Nick

Looks nice and I probably wouldn't spot any errors. The fact that it is slipping suggests there is enough power available.

Don

I would agree. Slipping is an indication of lack of adhesion, which isn't surprising if there is no weight in the body and only one set of wheels driven. Another way of looking at it is that there is too much power which the wheels can't transfer to the track. Similar to the wheelspin that F1 drivers experience at the start. (having just watched the race, Max was robbed!)

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

First of the Furness Horse Box bodies painted and temporary roof attached - livery details are vague, but it's believed that they were painted ultramarine.

I'm trying a new method of making the roof using 16mm wide, half-round, wooden moulding strip, trimmed to size to fit inside the shell mnd with a piece of 0.25mm styrene sheet glued on top using foam glue. Reasonably pleased with how its worked, but need to have another go with a slightly larger piece of styrene to get the right amount of overhang on either side of the body, and will then need to put another piece of 0.25mm sheet on top to get the thickness of the roof correct.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nig H

If only all etch designers went to these lengths to ensure their kits went together accurately and as intended!

I am very much looking forward to building one of these when the final version is released... but please take your time with this one Nigel. You're releasing kits far faster than I can build them...

As it happens, on my workbench at the moment is another one of Nigel's confections.

8 years into the build (I've been building other things as well - equally slowly), and the list of details still to be added to body and chassis is getting worryingly small as the inevitable trauma of trying to paint and line it draws closer.

Nick M.

post-14390-0-34433600-1508882710_thumb.jpg

post-14390-0-64834900-1508883066_thumb.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

If only all etch designers went to these lengths to ensure their kits went together accurately and as intended!

I am very much looking forward to building one of these when the final version is released... but please take your time with this one Nigel. You're releasing kits far faster than I can build them...

As it happens, on my workbench at the moment is another one of Nigel's confections.

8 years into the build (I've been building other things as well - equally slowly), and the list of details still to be added to body and chassis is getting worryingly small as the inevitable trauma of trying to paint and line it draws closer.

Nick M.

Wow - this looks so neat and precise. Superb job Nigel and superb job Nick. I think your work has always been to such a high standard - inspirational.

• RMweb Premium

Nick M.

Nick,

Fantastic job you've done, I'm envious of the result you've achieved. And the chassis runs like a sewing machine too.

Concerning the MR 2P, this is progressing painfully slowly, so maybe you're bench will have space for one by the time I've ironed out all the snags.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Lovely stuff Nick,

A real testament to your skill and the quality of Nigel's kits.  Always good to see another 2mm loco with Walschaerts gear!  8 years is speedy.  My brother's J10 is finally nearing completion after somewhere over 20 years in the making!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Nick M.

You're not seriously trying to kid us all that this is a 2mm scale model, are you?  :jester:

My gast is well and truly flabbered.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Gold

That's a beautiful job Nick. Don't worry about painting - it's overrated!! - locos (and coaches come to that) should spend a suitable period of time running around in the bare metal:-))

Jerry

Or as it's more commonly known, the North Somerset Light Railway livery!

Of which I make copious use, I hasten to add.

Mark

Or as it's more commonly known, the North Somerset Light Railway livery!

Of which I make copious use, I hasten to add.

Strangely, I have 6 mineral wagons which have been siting around for months in the same livery!

post-25077-0-44102600-1509046931_thumb.jpg

They can't go into service yet as they won't be fitted with couplings until after they are painted.  Round tuits for that are on indefinite back order! :scratchhead:

Jim  (Still working on the etch design for Kirkallanmuir Weighs SB - now at the 'adding tags' stage)

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2017 at 20:45, Caley Jim said:

Strangely, I have 6 mineral wagons which have been siting around for months in the same livery!

attachicon.gifDSC_0574.JPG

They can't go into service yet as they won't be fitted with couplings until after they are painted.  Round tuits for that are on indefinite back order! :scratchhead:

Jim  (Still working on the etch design for Kirkallanmuir Weighs SB - now at the 'adding tags' stage)

having managed to fry a relay board on my DJLC effort my thoughts have turned to your problem and I may well produce these  as a members project on the laser 

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 2

having managed to fry a relay board on my DJLC effort my thoughts have turned to your problem and I may well produce these  as a members project on the laser 

attachicon.giftuitA.jpg

Nick

Nice one Nick!!   :sungum:

I didn't mention that I have another 3 dumb buffered and 5 spindle buffered kits waiting to be built plus 10 of the 7 ton 'bogies'.  Methinks I need a rather large supply of RT's!  :O

Jim

• Like 2

I need to get the chassis done for these, in fact this post has prompted me to put it onto the etched artwork I am doing this week.

Was about to press the purchase button on Shapeways, until I realised that I

1. want the 1:148 version

2. would like it with curved drop front end. I fancy modelling 2906 as shown in BR days in GWRJ 42 p103.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/7c/48/ff/7c48ff7d0a56a0f33c9bfeb25f5678bd--british-rail-steam-locomotive.jpg

http://railphotoprints.uk/img/s/v-3/p226740637-3.jpg

There is no satisfying some people.

Chris

Hi Chris -

If you havn't seen it already, this one might do!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZZ3G874YR/gwr-saint-class-locomotive-n-gauge?optionId=57360000

Regards

Ian

Hi Chris -

If you havn't seen it already, this one might do!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZZ3G874YR/gwr-saint-class-locomotive-n-gauge?optionId=57360000

Regards

Ian

Sadly, drop rear ends too, and no outside steam pipes - which also altered other details on the front end.

I have spoken to Nick Birkett-Smith, and he is on the case.

Chris

• Like 1

Nick M.

What's the source of the etch here - is it still available, if so where?

Exquisite work, truly exquisite.

Thanks,

Alan