Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium

No Princesses for years, then you get two almost back to back! Looks like nice work there John and I hope you will keep updating us with progress. Can you remind me which one you are going to do?

Nig H

• 2 weeks later...

I have at last got round to finishing off my L&Y Radial Tank, with the last few bits of boiler furniture.

This one started life as the final test build (out of several) for Nigel Hunt's kit, and has been "almost finished" for ages.

After N Brass produced the cast chimney earlier this summer, I was spurred into making a dome and safety valves to go with it.

Once I've painted it, I can make a start on the Belpaire boiler and long bunker versions...

Where is the drool button when you need it? That looks very nice indeed.

I have at last got round to finishing off my L&Y Radial Tank, with the last few bits of boiler furniture.

This one started life as the final test build (out of several) for Nigel Hunt's kit, and has been "almost finished" for ages.

After N Brass produced the cast chimney earlier this summer, I was spurred into making a dome and safety valves to go with it.

Once I've painted it, I can make a start on the Belpaire boiler and long bunker versions...

What layout will this locomotive run on?

• RMweb Premium

What layout will this locomotive run on?

I'm very very slowly building a layout based around Healey Dell viaduct and Broadley station on the Rochdale to Bacup branch of the former L&Y.

I haven't made much progress yet, and I've got the excuse of the 2mm Association's Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge to distract me from making progress in the next couple of years...

• RMweb Premium

I've attempted to put together a video showing how I made the dome for my L&Y 2-4-2T using a combination of turning and filing.

Trying to film (using a webcam attached to an anglepoise arm) while working made the job take at least 3 times as long - but I've managed to edit a whole afternoon down to 11 minutes.

If anybody has been having trouble sleeping, this should help...

https://youtu.be/l4u1OauT-u0

• Like 2

While waiting for the etch for my signal box to be done by PPD I came across one of those round thingamyjigs to let me finish off the mineral wagons I showed here.  Firstly, wheels off and a coat of red oxide primer from a rattle can  :-

post-25077-0-28406000-1510934842_thumb.jpg

Re-united with their wheels, a coat of Phoenix Paints CR red oxide (for three of the Dia 21's a varying amount of yellow was added to slightly change the shade), ironwork picked out in black (actually very dark grey ) and lettering done on one of the Dia 21's.  (forgot to take the photo before doing the lettering! :fool: ) :-

post-25077-0-16159100-1510935154_thumb.jpg

Lettering completed to a fair - middling standard (won't stand close scrutiny) :-

post-25077-0-06008900-1510935258_thumb.jpg

The only evidence I have of the Dixon livery is a sketch of a 5-plank wagon with a drop down door built by Hurst Nelson in 1923, however there is every possibility that in the late 19th/early 20th centuries they used Dia 22 type wagons.  In any event, I like the livery, they operate Kirkallanmuir colliery and so rule 1 applies!    :blum:

After I took this last photo I realised I hadn't put the label and the paint date on the right hand one.  :banghead:  Ah, well, out with the white paint again!

Next up is fitting coupling chains, loading the 2 Dixon ones (the Dia 21's with form a raft of empties), some weathering and then AJ's to the outer ends of the end ones of each raft with semi-fixed couplings on the rest.  How far I get with that will depend on when the etch arrives, expected to be the end of next week.

Jim

• Like 6

Just received an email from PPD to say the etch has been dispatched and should arrive before 13:00 tomorrow.  :imsohappy: With any luck it will come before I leave for our Area Group meeting.

Do I then start on the signal box or finish off the wagons?  Decisions, decisions!!   :unsure:

Jim 

Just received an email from PPD to say the etch has been dispatched and should arrive before 13:00 tomorrow.  :imsohappy: With any luck it will come before I leave for our Area Group meeting.

Do I then start on the signal box or finish off the wagons?  Decisions, decisions!!   :unsure:

Jim 

Finish the wagons, Jim! Then look forward to building the Signal Box. Delayed gratification.  :derisive:

Finish the wagons, Jim! Then look forward to building the Signal Box. Delayed gratification.  :derisive:

Thanks, Phil.  I'd already made the decision to do that as we were on our way down to the cinema this evening www.biggarlittlecinema.org.uk .  :yes:  They should only take a couple of evenings (well, maybe three!).  Problem is going to be getting three free evenings this incoming week.   :nea:

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've attempted to put together a video showing how I made the dome for my L&Y 2-4-2T using a combination of turning and filing.

Trying to film (using a webcam attached to an anglepoise arm) while working made the job take at least 3 times as long - but I've managed to edit a whole afternoon down to 11 minutes.

If anybody has been having trouble sleeping, this should help...

https://youtu.be/l4u1OauT-u0

Having bought myself a watchmakers lathe earlier in the year this video is really useful in helping me get to grips with it.

A great tutorial, thanks Nick.

Would happily watch more if you care to post.

Most tedious weekend ever. Station approaches for Neath Riverside circa 1868 with BG2 and 2FS and the sidings serving the goods yard. A simple five turnout station and luckily the Vale on Neath had committed to cross sleeper track by this time. 

Just need to flare the wings and add the various check rails and blades. Then work out how to wire it all up . . . and make some stock.

Bit confused by just how the narrow gauge stock would access the yard as the narrow gauge entry is limited to one track with no obvious route over - the cross over is broad gauge only.

post-15858-0-82612300-1511182127_thumb.jpg

post-15858-0-91145500-1511182148_thumb.jpg

post-15858-0-55894100-1511182164_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Well, I've had more time these last few days than I expected, so I've managed to finish off the wagons.

first the Dia 21 Loco Coal wagons :-

post-25077-0-50583300-1511299430_thumb.jpg

And the Dia 22's in Dixon's livery.

post-25077-0-55647900-1511299455_thumb.jpg

Now to make a start on the signal box etch.

Jim

• Like 14

Well, I've had more time these last few days than I expected, so I've managed to finish off the wagons.

first the Dia 21 Loco Coal wagons :-

attachicon.gifDSC_0593.JPG

And the Dia 22's in Dixon's livery.

attachicon.gifDSC_0592.JPG

Now to make a start on the signal box etch.

Jim

Really impressive bit of lettering Jim.

Did you mask the X on the Dixon wagons to ensure sharpness at the extreme, pointiest corners of the 'X' or is it down to a lifetime of skills and a steady hand on a small brush? Dare I say it that these are a step change from your examples in the old Association wagon building book.

Andrew