Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

On 08/05/2018 at 09:35, 2mmMark said:

[...]

Nigel Lawton offers turned shaft adapters.

http://www.nigellawton009.com/PayPalMotors.html

[...]

Would be thinkable for these adapters not to be concentric? I have a couple and, looked at under a magnifying glass, they don't seem to be very accurate. Or maybe I should start questioning my eyesight?

Edited by Valentin

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Valentin said:

Would be thinkable for these adapters not to be concentric? I have a couple and, looked at under a magnifying glass, they don't seem to be very accurate. Or maybe I should start questioning my eyesight?

I had some and the fit seemed a bit sloppy, in fact too sloppy to be of use, What about the Association ones?

Nig H

• Thanks 1

Following a few weeks where I've not been able to face the work bench and finding myself without a car for most of today, I've finally sat down today and done some soldering.

GCR_Bogie_Fish_Van.jpg.c4134cf05d259b0e466821f65753e23c.jpg

A GCR bogie fish van that was kindly donated to me by Jerry. This is a Rod Neep etch which I assume was shot down from a large scale. As such some of the parts didn't fit as intended but I think I've gotten the hardest part out of the way now. The bogies will need some bodging as they are too narrow for 2mm Association axles but I think that I can use an Association wagon bogie stretcher and soldered the outer parts of the bogie to this. I've still got to add several off the overlays, but I think it's look pretty good already (obviously in need of some clean up though!).

Jerry, thanks again for this and I WILL get a package off to you tomorrow!

Edited by Atso
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Atso said:

Following a few weeks where I've not been able to face the work bench and finding myself without a car for most of today, I've finally sat down today and done some soldering.

A GCR bogie fish van that was kindly donated to me by Jerry. This is a Rod Neep etch which I assume was shot down from a large scale. As such some of the parts didn't fit as intended but I think I've gotten the hardest part out of the way now. The bogies will need some bodging as they are too narrow for 2mm Association axles but I think that I can use an Association wagon bogie stretcher and soldered the outer parts of the bogie to this. I've still got to add several off the overlays, but I think it's look pretty good already (obviously in need of some clean up though!).

Jerry, thanks again for this and I WILL get a package off to you tomorrow!

That's looking great Steve, a really distinctive prototype. I'm glad its getting built.

Send the package whenever you get a chance, not in a desperate rush.

Jerry

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nig H said:

I had some and the fit seemed a bit sloppy, in fact too sloppy to be of use, What about the Association ones?

Nig H

Thanks, Nigel. I used one of the Association ones and it was good; I just needed another adapter to modify a brass bearing from 1.5 mm bore to 1.0 mm bore and I didn't want to last adapter from the Association I had.

35 minutes ago, Atso said:

This looks excellent! 

I acquired one of these kits when bits and pieces from Steve Sykes's collection were being sold off. But comparing the etches with images of 4mm version that are online, I seem to be missing the etch of overlays for the doors. Also there don't seem to be any bogie etches with mine at all. 

I was thinking of attempting the final door overlay in plastic using the Silhouette cutter - might be a bit hairy, but hopefully possible!

From what I can see in photos online, the bogies seem similar to the Fox design, but shorter than the 8' wheelbase version we have as a 2mm kit. Any suggestions on a suitable etch?

Justin

Thanks Tom and Jerry. Jerry, it has been fun to build so far!

27 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

This looks excellent! 

I acquired one of these kits when bits and pieces from Steve Sykes's collection were being sold off. But comparing the etches with images of 4mm version that are online, I seem to be missing the etch of overlays for the doors. Also there don't seem to be any bogie etches with mine at all. 

I was thinking of attempting the final door overlay in plastic using the Silhouette cutter - might be a bit hairy, but hopefully possible!

From what I can see in photos online, the bogies seem similar to the Fox design, but shorter than the 8' wheelbase version we have as a 2mm kit. Any suggestions on a suitable etch?

Justin

Justin,

If you've not got the bogie etch then you are missing the three floor spacers for the body and the 'Vs' for the brake gear as well I'm afraid.

Regarding the bogies: According to my Roche drawing (not the most reliable modelling drawings, I admit), the bogies should be a 5'6 wheelbase. My plan is to use item 2-400 (plate frame stretcher) from shop 2 and solder the frames from the etch to these. This also allows me to make use of the half etched sunken rivets by turning the bogie frame around as there is no way I'm going to be able to punch them out since they are really close to the edge of the etching. I think that the door framing might be a little to fine for the Silhouette cutter, maybe steal a couple of sets from the BHE etches for the 10' wheelbase van or etch/laser cut some replacements? 

Edited by Atso

• 2 weeks later...

Nowhere in the same league as the superb modelling that is displayed on this thread, but I thought I'd post this anyway!

As a modeller in 4mm, with 7mm fingers and thumbs, and Gauge 1 eyesight, I decided to take up the challenge of 2mm modelling, although the last time I dabbled in it was sixty years ago with Lone-Star push-along stock. I am a member of the Epsom & Ewell MRC, and they have, as is fairly well known, started building a model of Lewes, on the LBSCR, set in 1886. As a Brighton enthusiast, I have become slightly involved in the project, and I wanted to be able to contribute something concrete, and get to understand the challenges that this scale presents. I didn't want to interrupt the production line of LBSC wagons, both etched and 3D printed, but finding something else that would fit the date was a problem, until I saw Jim Watt's contributions here, with some suitably antique Caledonian wagons. Eventually I tracked down his Buchanan Models website and ordered a few of his choicest, and appropriate, offerings, to give the scale a try.

The first off the blocks is this dumb-buffered open, hard to justify in southern England, but not totally impossible.

image.png.8111cab3bf568b3226a177553d4578c2.png

It doesn't look too bad, to my eyes at least, for a first effort, certainly when viewed from a distance, but I'll have to try harder in future, and I might get the paintbrush out again to tidy up a few things that the camera's cruel eye has highlighted.  I found the construction of this all etched kit "interesting" thanks to my lack of skills, and my ten thumbs defeated some of Jim's cunning plans and excellent instructions, but it went together in a very satisfying way, using a RSU and I was amazed at the level of detail incorporated in the etch and the clever use of framing to the various overlays to get them to align, something I had not seen in the 4mm etches that have come my way. Next in line is a cattle wagon - Sussex was just crying out for pedigree Ayrshire and Highland cattle, I hope.

(Apologies for the N gauge track, the only thing I had to pose the wag(g)on on.)

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm not getting much time at my workbench at the moment, but my 9F is progressing slowly, with more pipework being added. Some of what you can see in the photos is not fixed in place yet, as further bits need soldering to it.

The details on the left hand side of the firebox include the valves controlling steam supply to the vacuum ejector.

The body of these valves is made from the etched components in the kit (suitably rounded off with fine files), while some of the other etched bits were used as templates for the copper pipework.

The regulator rod passes behind the steam pipes, and had to be fitted first.

I replaced the long straight sections of what was a one-piece etched part with nickel silver rod, and kept the cranks from the etch. No, it doesn't move!

On top of the firebox is the beginnings of the steam manifold, with the whistle which was turned from brass rod.

I'm hoping the surface of the whitemetal boiler/firebox casting won't look so rough as it does in these photos once it has been primed. On the top of the firebox, I experimented by covering it with a slurry of milliput, and once dry rubbing it over with very fine wet & dry paper.

1258276329_ejectorvalvesetc.jpg.51a58321a6fb9622a831cf86367b8fbe.jpgmanifold.jpg.a821811dae0332d4db6739acf1056dbf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12

On 05/02/2019 at 17:41, Atso said:

Justin,

If you've not got the bogie etch then you are missing the three floor spacers for the body and the 'Vs' for the brake gear as well I'm afraid.

Regarding the bogies: According to my Roche drawing (not the most reliable modelling drawings, I admit), the bogies should be a 5'6 wheelbase. My plan is to use item 2-400 (plate frame stretcher) from shop 2 and solder the frames from the etch to these. This also allows me to make use of the half etched sunken rivets by turning the bogie frame around as there is no way I'm going to be able to punch them out since they are really close to the edge of the etching. I think that the door framing might be a little to fine for the Silhouette cutter, maybe steal a couple of sets from the BHE etches for the 10' wheelbase van or etch/laser cut some replacements? 

I was just randomly thinking about this again this morning - having seen some people on the AnyCubic Facebook group printing medallion type things flat to the build plate, it occurred to me it might be worth a shot printing the door layers as a 3D print. The three layers of etch presumably total between 0.75mm and 1mm in thickness, so that might well survive being printed as a whole and peeled off the build plate. Might use the images of the 4mm etch on the Brassmasters site as a template, and give it a shot!

Does the Roche drawing include the bogies? I don't actually have a copy. Presumably a printed layer could sit over 2-400 to replace the parts I'm missing as well. 

Justin

• RMweb Premium

On the Keith Gloster workbench, not mine, a S & D 7F. I produced the etched chassis and footplate, Alan Smith the machined smokebox/ boiler/ firebox. 

479104532_KG7F2.jpg.34c82bd6581c28555b07d4c4cdfe9899.jpg

Nig H

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

That looks like it will pull well!

Tim

i think you're right -the boiler and smokebox are solid brass, as the pic hopefully shows.

345681338_7Fboiler(2).JPG.beb44aa886ff942d0cea5957a66bc496.JPG

Nig H

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...