Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

1 hour ago, richbrummitt said:

I think you might have the arm outside the central V on the cross shaft for the brake push rods? If so close but not quite (though I probably wouldn't change it again). If you have it between the V and the brake push rods then it is where it should be. 

Gotcha. First attempt at changing it, I put the ratchet-y end of the long lever outside of the end V, after coming behind the W iron. But I quickly realised my error and managed to move it behind by cutting the cross rod and pulling the wire back through, then moving the ratchet part behind the end vee, and pushing the wire back through.

Should be easier to do the same with the middle V end of it, so I might try.

As much as it hardly matters, knowing it is possible to get it right, would bug me if I left it wrong.

Any views on the Vallejo colour?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would never want to argue over a shade of grey (even 50 of them). Squares A and B below are exactly the same colour. Don't believe me? cut two holes in a sheet of paper and hold up to the screen so only the two marked squares can be seen.

Checker_shadow_illusion.png.558f4bfafa2d951a7ac0f19b71efdefc.png

Other colours are not immune either.

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The 4-car AM9/309 EMU is finally nearly finished. There are certain things that need sorting, windscreen wipers and better couplings etc, but as a representation of them it helps to give the exGE Essex area look I am aiming for along with the class 15. Having now got the station buildings and platforms worked out ballasting can now be started on Priory Road, the layout/track being fully functional for over a year now. At least I know the d/s tape is keeping the track in place without any issues arising! Still quite a way to go, not the least being the task of working out how to produce and fit some GE area OHLE, without which of course the AM9 just won't run........ahem....

1968666651_RMweb09.jpg.1f6a9c7c6ec980e2b671084d95a2eb1b.jpg

1325836388_rmweb08.jpg.ffa33b1ff22ddb4d6e53d4da3b9aa32c.jpg

Izzy

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

At least I know the d/s tape is keeping the track in place without any issues arising!

i used double sided tape on Connerburn nearly 45 years ago and was given dire warnings that it wouldn't last.  As far as I can see (the layout has been in storage for the last 10 years or so) it's still holding fine!

Jim

• RMweb Gold
On 30/05/2019 at 11:35, justin1985 said:

The NGS/Modelmaster transfers seem to have entirely disappeared in a mire of incompetence and endless reorganization - so far as I've heard from the NGS Magazine. They were originally available only from the NGS Shop - but that went to pot. The new volunteers decided to reorganize and assign new catalogue numbers etc, but then couldn't cope with the number of different products, so they gave up and transferred them over to Modelmaster on the understanding that members would get a discount. Then some further falling out occurred, and the stock got transferred back to the NGS again! But back to square one, as after many months, they still haven't been able to sort them and get selling them!

Thankfully Modelmaster have released their own much smaller range of transfers, basically just a set of wagon liveries for each of the big four. They're copied down from their 4mm range this time, I think. They certainly include all the interesting extra letting like "Loco", "Large" for cattle wagons, etc. You can order directly from their website - pricey postage but good service.

Hi all,

As the current volunteer and stockholder for the ex Modelmaster/NGS decal range, please do not despair!

Things are in hand and the range will be available again shortly.

The current situation is that I have been sorting out both the decal and nameplate range and it's taken  longer than anticipated.

If you have any underbed storage boxes that are about 90cm by 45cm by 15cm, then you will understand if I say that there were over 60 boxes of this size and the stock in them was mostly mixed, some packaged, a lot loose.

The nameplates are all sorted now and I'm partway through the decals.

Once all is sorted and the stock levels known - then there will be adverts to let people know.

So - please be patient!

Thanks

Phil H

Edited by Scottish Modeller
correct typos
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

i used double sided tape on Connerburn nearly 45 years ago and was given dire warnings that it wouldn't last.  As far as I can see (the layout has been in storage for the last 10 years or so) it's still holding fine!

Jim

Thanks Jim, that’s good to know. It was only meant to be a temporary measure to ensure all the track sections fitted together okay, the idea being that they would be removed and glued down one at a time with pva, only to discover I couldn’t get them up again.... It’s such a nice, clean, and easy way to do it I felt sure it couldn’t last. But it appears it will.  That’s great.

Izzy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really trying to repaint and line a Dapol A3 corridor tender but it is too hot in the shed at the moment to continue with that project. Therefore, I've moved down to the dining room table and started to build my second Toad E kit.

20190701_183251.jpg.268dd1639828d664e7ab7523c47be080.jpg

• Like 4

Some further progress on the Toad E.

20190702_192235.jpg.3681acb1baa1f7559fe25a66d7fedef7.jpg

With the second of these builds nearing completion, I'm very tempted to get hold of the BR Dia 1/506 brake van etches next and backdate it into a 1930's LNER build of the Toad D with steel end platforms. Sadly, the Farish version of the Toad E has concrete ends represented. I figure it'll probably be easier to adapt the etched version than convert the Farish one. 

Edited by Atso
  • Like 1

The Toad E is awaiting roof detailing, vac pipes and a few little bits and pieces but is otherwise complete.

20190703_184835.jpg.89b35dc17c53f2f04ebc77e7296eadf3.jpg

I've had an unusual wagon (for me anyway) drop on my doorstep as a commission build.

1888310331_20190704_104812(2).jpg.1260eeea65cbd81f8dfe5b6d4457650a.jpg

The 2mm Association Prestwin kit. This is to be built for use on an N gauge layout and I'm now busy studying the photographs on Paul Bartlett's site. It looks to be a comprehensive kit and I've got two to build!

• Like 4

Ok, I'm going to admit to feeling reasonably smug having managed to solder these valves for the Prestwin together.

20190706_113513.jpg.839f803e5357c6bfb46e3f5004335fd8.jpg

As per the instructions, I've used epoxy to fill out the body of the valves.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

The valves have now been installed onto the Prestwin and some more of the details added.

20190707_121800.jpg.dfc9384f1ea0872da0ca27456891706f.jpg

I've still got some small details to add but these will wait until the buffers I've ordered from the 2mm Association arrive.  I think I'll see what I can do to close up the slight (but annoying) gap in the laminates that make up the top platform though.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I've been gradually repainting a Dapol corridor tender for a model of A3, Spearmint. The model started out a Grand Parade which came with a GNR coal rail tender. Despite much searching, I couldn't find a spare corridor tender in LNER green so had to settle for an "unpainted" black version, as part of a spare chassis unit. Despite it being advertised as unpainted, it had actually been sprayed black over the original LNER green livery!

Anyway, since painting it back into Doncaster green, I've been lining it using my bow pens. However, I've never had much success with ruling on the triple lining for the center panel in the past, and have previously resorted to making up decals using Tim's boiler band method. I was going to do this for the tender, but try as I might, I just could find the knack for cutting the outer lines to a consistent width this time. Therefore, I decided to have one more go at ruling the outer line directly onto the model and painting in the center line later.

20190715_174128.jpg.900a96f076a84049a188c44137ec5768.jpg

It's not perfect, but it is the best attempt I've made to date. Hopefully a little tidying up and over-painting tomorrow will improve things; then it is on to the other side! Behind the corridor tender is a Dapol factory finished example as a cruel comparison to my effort. The overall aim is to match the finish of the loco, which other than renumbering and renaming, is still more or less in the factory finish.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

This is my work bench!  Currently beefing up the coupling rods on Valour. They were too skinny.  Bench made to fit at the front of our camper van.  It’s a useful little set up with precision vice and Macor slab on which to solder. 

Tim

35BD8466-BA50-45EA-9FEF-E68E6E26ED9C.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

This is my work bench!  Currently beefing up the coupling rods on Valour. They were too skinny.  Bench made to fit at the front of our camper van.  It’s a useful little set up with precision vice and Macor slab on which to solder. 

Tim

35BD8466-BA50-45EA-9FEF-E68E6E26ED9C.jpeg

post-8525-0-74435700-1441956498_thumb.jpg

Nice job Tim, rather more sophisticated than me using a tray in our motorhome. 

Don

• RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2019 at 18:42, Atso said:

20190715_174128.jpg.900a96f076a84049a188c44137ec5768.jpg

It's not perfect, but it is the best attempt I've made to date. Hopefully a little tidying up and over-painting tomorrow will improve things; then it is on to the other side! Behind the corridor tender is a Dapol factory finished example as a cruel comparison to my effort. The overall aim is to match the finish of the loco, which other than renumbering and renaming, is still more or less in the factory finish.

Looks bloody good to me! I’ve only tried with a bow pen once and the results were awful, although that’s my inexperience! If that was my tender I’d be very happy with it Steve!

Without wishing to hijack, has anyone tried the easi-LINER pens from Chris Arundell? http://www.mylocosound.co.uk/?product=easi-liner-pen-no-4-set-with-0-25mm-0-50mm-0-75mm-and-1-00mm-styluses-and-instructions

Are these the same kind of thing, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick with something?

Edited by MarshLane
Added web link

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Without wishing to hijack, has anyone tried the easi-LINER pens from Chris Arundell? http://www.mylocosound.co.uk/?product=easi-liner-pen-no-4-set-with-0-25mm-0-50mm-0-75mm-and-1-00mm-styluses-and-instructions

tried and failed could never get on with it from memory you used enamel paint its in a dark draw somewhere  although many get good results

Nick

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

tried and failed could never get on with it from memory you used enamel paint its in a dark draw somewhere  although many get good results

Nick

Hi Nick,

If you don't mind me asking what was the problem?  Were you not happy with the results, the pen not working right or the flow of paint not smooth enough - or (and no disrespect intended here) was it just personal choice that it wasn't for you?

While I dont currently need one, if plans come together a lining ben (or bow pen) will be needed in the next 12 months or so, so I'm just keen to understand what didn't work for you?

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Spelling - again!

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Nick,

If you don't mind me asking what was the problem?  Were you not happy with the results, the pen not working right or the flow of paint not smooth enough - or (and no disrespect intended here) was it just personal choice that it wasn't for you?

While I dont currently need one, if plans come together a lining ben (or bow pen) will be needed in the next 12 months or so, so I'm just keen to understand what didn't work for you?

Rich

Rich

I think I expected it to be a magic bullet and produce consistent lines, eons ago I used a quality bow pen ( try finding one now ) and got better results.   However my efforts where patchy may have been the paint or me or both.  At the time I was time poor and just got on with something else 

As I say I have seen others results using these so I suspect it was  operator error 

Nick

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

I think I expected it to be a magic bullet and produce consistent lines, eons ago I used a quality bow pen ( try finding one now ) and got better results.   However my efforts where patchy may have been the paint or me or both.  At the time I was time poor and just got on with something else 

I bought my bow pens direct from Haff (www.haff.de) a few years ago and have been happy with them. The ordering process was somewhat old fashioned (international bank transfer IIRC) and you may need a bit of google translate too but I think you can probably still buy pens from them should you wish.

Regards, Andy

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, D869 said:

I bought my bow pens direct from Haff (www.haff.de) a few years ago and have been happy with them. The ordering process was somewhat old fashioned (international bank transfer IIRC) and you may need a bit of google translate too but I think you can probably still buy pens from them should you wish.

Regards, Andy

I fear we may be reinventing the wheel  

NIck

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

I fear we may be reinventing the wheel  .....

Oops, thanks Nick - apologies to all, I didn't mean for it to diverge!  I'll go read that thread that Nick has pointed out.  Hopefully, in the not too distant future, I'll have some 2mmFS on my workbench to post about!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

One thing that can make a lot of difference is having a rest for your hand. Some people make up an L shaped one of a suitable thickness to suit the scale you are working in. Also be wary of honing the tips on a bow pen to a very fine point ensure the edge is not sharp or you can mark the surface. Advice given to me by an expert at lining models. 

Don

• Thanks 1