Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I've been making a bus.   Or, more precisely, the mechanical stuff inside the b

impressive and revoked memories of sitting in the garden after the GJLC dinner discussing such things with Steve Sykes 

Nigel so are you now running a rail replacement service ?

Nick

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I've been making a bus.   Or, more precisely, the mechanical stuff inside the bus.  

Radio controlled, Deltang receiver and transmitter.  Front axle is a Faller spare part, moved by a Plantraco actuator.   Rear axle driven by a Microantriebe motor/gearbox with a couple of pairs of diodes to drop the voltage.  And a small Lipo rechargeable battery cell powers it all.

- Nigel

Is it a coincidence that this is in the same T&W PTE livery as those on Mick’s Callaton? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I've been making a bus.   Or, more precisely, the mechanical stuff inside the bus.  

Radio controlled, Deltang receiver and transmitter.  Front axle is a Faller spare part, moved by a Plantraco actuator.   Rear axle driven by a Microantriebe motor/gearbox with a couple of pairs of diodes to drop the voltage.  And a small Lipo rechargeable battery cell powers it all.

- Nigel

There’s that bar rising again! Very, very impressive.

John

11 hours ago, chrisveitch said:

Is it a coincidence that this is in the same T&W PTE livery as those on Mick’s Callaton? 

I was at Mick's sometime early this year, and discussing the bus garage, its new sounds, and that it would be good if the bus could back out and turn in the yard.   I said I thought a radio controlled bus was credible given the size of components available.   So Mick gave me a bus from his collection of them as encouragement to make good on my words.    

I don't know if anyone took the picture of Thomas and Bertie the Bus at the Forth & Clyde group meeting yesterday, but thanks to Jim W for bringing Thomas (disguised as a Caley loco) along.   Unfortunately, the road (more like a farm track) on the group layout was too rough and narrow for driving the bus - it was thrown off course by the pot-holes, and frequently grounded by the changes in slope and camber.    So had to revert to driving in the fiddle yard and around the plates and cups on the table. 

- Nigel

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CF MRC said:

We’ll have three for CF please. 

Will work out price list.  

47 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Steady on Tim, you'd then need some blue diesels to go with them!

They come in handy for rail replacement work, when the trains are broken for some reason....

Buses with front axles near the front, like Routemaster's and Lodekka's need a bit more thinking.  Should be possible, but can't use a Faller front axle "as supplied".   

- Nigel

Could Kelso be about to rival Falkirk as a centre for bus building? :jester: To be fair, Alexanders only build the bodies on other makers chassis, whereas Kelso are building chassis for existing bodies!  :D

Jim

On 15/12/2019 at 23:51, Nigelcliffe said:

I was at Mick's sometime early this year, and discussing the bus garage, its new sounds, and that it would be good if the bus could back out and turn in the yard.   I said I thought a radio controlled bus was credible given the size of components available.   So Mick gave me a bus from his collection of them as encouragement to make good on my words.    

I don't know if anyone took the picture of Thomas and Bertie the Bus at the Forth & Clyde group meeting yesterday, but thanks to Jim W for bringing Thomas (disguised as a Caley loco) along.   Unfortunately, the road (more like a farm track) on the group layout was too rough and narrow for driving the bus - it was thrown off course by the pot-holes, and frequently grounded by the changes in slope and camber.    So had to revert to driving in the fiddle yard and around the plates and cups on the table. 

- Nigel

I included a video in the FCAG blog, here.

Graham

7 hours ago, Bryn said:

20191215_104747.jpg.f13946b82ef672f7533387979242b975.jpg

A Stephen Harris etch of a Catfish was given set of transfer and weathered this week.

20191215_184009.jpg.64a56b2ec5d9d101594f2e0cb19146ce.jpg

Here we see the first etched kit I ever made, around 15 years ago I assembled this old N Guage Society Sealion brass etch kit totally with super glue. It's been surprising durable and has held together, part finished in my stock box ever since. I've added some association bogies and given it a lick of paint, I'm happy it's come out reasonably well.

They both look nice Bryn, especially the inside of the Catfish. 

Have you considered adding a small amount of the rust shade to the springs, and a dab of an oil colour around the bearing boxes?

I also add a little silver shading to the buffer shafts.

Steve

19 hours ago, 2mmKiwi said:

They both look nice Bryn, especially the inside of the Catfish. 

Have you considered adding a small amount of the rust shade to the springs, and a dab of an oil colour around the bearing boxes?

I also add a little silver shading to the buffer shafts.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

The inside of the wagons are light rust enamel washes covered in powder. Catfish didn't have hydraulic buffers so wouldn't have the usual chrome finish on the cylinder rams. Also it doesn't stand out that the bottom of the axle boxes are black, I might give them a touch of gloss varnish to make them more noticeable, but I do agree the springs are much to clean! 

As for the Sealion, I fitted the wrong style of buffers all those years ago and maybe silver rams might be a nice compromise to give the look of the OLEO design. I've yet to weather this, but the bogies should hopefully tone down a shade once the powders go on.

Bryn

• Like 1

Its just like being at work.

A bit of gearbox design. For me 3D CAD just makes it so easy. You can see exactly where everything fits (and doesn't). The trouble is you just don't get any sense of scale.

J.

2019-12-26 174653.png

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Funny 1

57 minutes ago, -missy- said:

A bit of gearbox design. For me 3D CAD just makes it so easy. You can see exactly where everything fits (and doesn't). The trouble is you just don't get any sense of scale.

I'm following this with interest as I try to make sense of a slightly larger, 2ft 6in gauge, outside frame engine...

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chrisveitch said:

What's on my 2mm workbench is absolutely nothing unremarkable. It's a Farish 24 with a few wagons. What is remarkable is that after many, many years trying to get somewhere with 2mm scale I've finally got myself a running loco and some stock with couplers that work, etc, etc. Not I just need to get on with finishing the turnout and I'll nearly have a shunting plank!

49309387702_91ded4191b_c.jpg

About this time in 1983, I had almost exactly the same train, except my Class 24 was a Langley body kit on a Mike Bryant chassis and the wagons were Peco conversions.