Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium

There was one job I have been putting off for a long time, but I have finally decided that I would like to have it completed before showing Freshwater at Ally Palley next week. This is the final piece of the puzzle, and when it is fitted, I need to add plenty of rust and oil, and probably nobody will even notice it.

Can you see what it is yet?

IMG_20200309_204504

And after a quick squirt of Halfords' finest:

IMG_20200309_204825

Copious amounts of UV curing glue were used, including the dummy bolt heads, which I think worked quite well.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Having spent the weekend under the watchful eye of Ian Rathbone at Missenden Abbey, I still have a long way to go when it comes to painting and lining.

I have used a bow pen in anger for the first time, and managed to spray paint gloss without getting the grittiness of finish which has bedevilled me in the past.

I wasn't necessarily expecting to make progress on an actual model, and in that respect got further than I might have.

I offer below some pics of 46210 for scrutiny, having got as part as putting on the basic livery colour, and a white line along the valance on both sides.

The shade of blue looks too bright and pale. That is possibly something to do with the flourescent daylight lamp, the fact that it is shiny gloss, and also because it actually is too pale.

I'm hoping that by weathering it and under a dull varnish, it will eventually darken down a bit. Or maybe I can convince myself it looks faded. Anyway, if I make a mess of the lining, the colour won't matter.

My aim is to be able to paint lines that are roughly to scale over their total width, and look better than lining transfers.

The line on the valance isn't perfect by any means - especially when compared with ones Ian has painted - but is heading in the right direction. I think the right side is better than the left overall. There are one or  two rough spots which might need to be hidden under weathering. 

IMG_0319.JPG.1d1b669a37c9546e6799ee40fcfdf60c.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG.8b6a0959eaebc9a15a7923e425a7f55d.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG.394b2f636b9a7b616e7f0c4e1e4bcbf0.JPG

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

There was one job I have been putting off for a long time, but I have finally decided that I would like to have it completed before showing Freshwater at Ally Palley next week. This is the final piece of the puzzle, and when it is fitted, I need to add plenty of rust and oil, and probably nobody will even notice it.

Can you see what it is yet?

IMG_20200309_204504

And after a quick squirt of Halfords' finest:

IMG_20200309_204825

Copious amounts of UV curing glue were used, including the dummy bolt heads, which I think worked quite well.

Looks to me like a facing point lock.

Ian

24 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

I am starting to have second thoughts about it now, though. Would a rod be used for an FPL, or would it have been operated by a wire, like a signal?

Ian,

I'm pretty sure the FPL would have been operated by point rodding and not a wire. Do you have a copy of the 2mm Scale Association's booklet on point rodding? - I'm fairly sure it is covered in that. If not then copies will be available from the 2mm Roadshow at Ally Pally.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I have the "Track" book, but it only touches on point rodding in that. I need the point rodding booklet.

I had a couple of the older Association etches for rodding, which I have used. I ended up about 2 inches short, and had to order some more.

I would like to try the new etch system from the Association, but it needs to be installed before ballasting and scenery is added. Maybe next time.

6 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

I offer below some pics of 46210 for scrutiny, having got as part as putting on the basic livery colour, and a white line along the valance on both sides.

The shade of blue looks too bright and pale. That is possibly something to do with the flourescent daylight lamp, the fact that it is shiny gloss, and also because it actually is too pale.

I'm hoping that by weathering it and under a dull varnish, it will eventually darken down a bit. Or maybe I can convince myself it looks faded. Anyway, if I make a mess of the lining, the colour won't matter.

My aim is to be able to paint lines that are roughly to scale over their total width, and look better than lining transfers.

IMG_0319.JPG.1d1b669a37c9546e6799ee40fcfdf60c.JPG

A penny for every "Gordon" comment ... :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

Having spent the weekend under the watchful eye of Ian Rathbone at Missenden Abbey, I still have a long way to go when it comes to painting and lining.

Nick,

Whilst I'm disappointed to see you didn't practise on your apple green beastie:sungum:, it's lovely seeing this come along. I still struggle to believe it's 2mm looking at these pics! Competition for the Groves will be intense this year!

Regarding Missenden, is the value more in the expert tuition or the uninterrupted modelling time?

Simon

Edited by 65179

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 65179 said:

Regarding Missenden, is the value more in the expert tuition or the uninterrupted modelling time?

That's an interesting question. I guess the answer is it depends what you want to get out of it.

You get about 18 hours of modelling time. Some people just want to take along a project and work on it, and that is fine. Certainly I would be hard pushed to find even a quarter of that much time to spend modelling in a weekend spent at home.

I've been 4 times spread over many years, and each time I have wanted to learn specific things to help get over particular sticking points with my modelling, so for me there is a lot of value in the tuition. Even if it is just trying new things in a structured way, there is value in having somebody standing by to give you the confidence to get stuck in.

46210 has a long-time Missenden association. Having previously struggled to get a good result with rolled boiler overlays, I got some practical assistance from Bob Alderman on the loco kit building weekend.

Last time I went, I wanted to learn what to do with the airbrush my grandfather bought me over 30 years ago, so signed up for Tim Shackleton's weathering weekend. The feedback on my technique was invaluable, and I have had some nice results since.

This time, I wanted to improve my airbrushing technique beyond applying weathering effects and Ian was able to diagnose some of the things I was doing wrong and give guidance to achieve the results you see. I also needed someone to show me what to do with the ruling pen, and other techniques associated with lining.

The first course I did was Barry Norman's scenery course. This was the most structured, taking the participants through a well-planned sequence of techniques, ending up with a couple of small scenes to bring home.

Besides the tutors showing you things, being in a group of people allows you to take inspiration from what others are doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 65179 said:

Nick,

Whilst I'm disappointed to see you didn't practice on your apple green beastie:sungum:, it's lovely seeing this come along. I still struggle to believe it's 2mm looking at these pics! Competition for the Groves will be intense this year!

Simon

Expert tuition...?

I reckon it would be possible for someone to get a 2mm chassis (from Association etches) up and running by the end of the weekend. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

Even though I really don't like building loco's I'm starting two Coal tanks this one just has the tanks and bunker resting on the footplate for the moment . We are locked down in Espania at the moment so I'm just getting on with a few things 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 2

People will remember the GW 43XX posted on here recently by John Birkett-Smith. I was kindly given one of these excellent printed bodies by Jerry Clifford, so here is the start that I've made. I decided to use a Dapol Grange rolling chassis from DCC Supplies as a base and merge it with one of the Association's Chris Higgs etched 61XX chassis. The wheels will have 2FS rims fitted, that's the next job to do.

KeithIMG_1802.JPG.e5625624ea63041f12e9240770852d9c.JPGIMG_1793.JPG.2b8f23f242569f6379759f340cb57fdd.JPGIMG_1792.JPG.9f1fb643e9b2e58f761086c79e10851e.JPG

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1