Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

C1s 4436 and 4452 are getting very close to completion now. C1 3286 is a little further behind but making good progress.

4436_and_4452_19-8-20.jpg.6f2cb7c7df65ed59f45bb0b20737f850.jpg

I've also finally managed to get good enough weather to break out the airbrush and paint the J6.

287922244_J620-8-20.jpg.b86d51f2f0190e0b7e0f70631f6b5a99.jpg

This one will be 3602 and given local passenger duties on Hadley Wood.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi I have put the cylinders together as a dry fit and put the motion bracket in place .Im putting some of the components together ready for assembly later on .Just putting them in places makes quite a difference to the appearance .

John image.jpeg.4136524e642e1658157b5a53298f23fa.jpeg

Edited by Coal Tank
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 17/07/2020 at 12:12, Nig H said:

Here are some pics of the test track I have been building. The District Engineer has been out to have an early look after hearing of construction problems and poor workmanship.

734399054_Testtracktesting.JPG.b9eb3bac035b93e613999a7ebfcaa1a0.JPG

1057984432_Testtracktesting(4).JPG.de0f5fd4359fe3a2948d6cb9807281ab.JPG   

1449053716_Testtracktesting(5).JPG.d3da7b2cc1b2ec9acc9b70a6508c6518.JPG

In an initial assessment, the DE commented, 'Carpentry abysmal, baseboard will probably just about do, track laying needs more care to ensure joints line up accurately, turnouts satisfactory as far as they go at the moment. Recommend carpentry and baseboard construction be outsourced if standards cannot be improved significantly'.

Oh!

This is my first attempt at serious layout and track building and on a positive note I think I've learnt  quite a lot, mainly don't bother. No, but I can see my standards will need to improve considerably to achieve something satisfactory to run stock on.

For information, the outer radius is c. 30" with Easitrac except the turnouts which are soldered (no chairplates) construction. I used a Templot printout for the latter. I've yet to fit TOUs etc, so plenty of scope to screw things up even more before I try ballasting and adding the inner circuit.

Nigel Hunt

Hi Nigel 

Is the coach one of your kits

John 

2 hours ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi Nigel 

Is the coach one of your kits

John 

The coach looks like the LMS Inspection Saloon, first brought to us by the NGS and then after a period of time, released to everyone by Farish.  I could be doing Nigel a massive dis-service of course!

Cheers

Kevin of Oz

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

The coach looks like the LMS Inspection Saloon, first brought to us by the NGS and then after a period of time, released to everyone by Farish.  I could be doing Nigel a massive dis-service of course!

Cheers

Kevin of Oz

Hi,

You're right Kevin, it is one of the NGS saloons, just with finescale wheels fitted.

• Like 1

Having had a small box arrive from Shop 2 today, what is on my workbench is 6 LNWR 9' wheel base etches to go under my D15 and D21 3D prints, a pair of 10' chassis for trial fitting under a D22 print and a pair of SR 8 shoe 9' chassis destined to go under some SR standard vans when I get around to drawing them and then printing.

Been quiet for a week so I thought I'd try and get some life back into it!

• Like 2

Been building the Worsely Works 42xx kit. The body is about to the point I can take it to until I sort the position of motor and all. This is a great fitting kit. I'll mount the front of the boiler as soon as I mount a nut inside the smokebox saddle to hold a plastic Kadee coupler screw which will be used to secure the chassis to the body.

cItN680.jpg

Edited by WM183

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, -missy- said:

Well that was a bit of a challenge!

I changed the design a little to reflect the photo Andy posted a link to.

J.

20200831_152430.jpg

Looks really good. Insulation gaps to do? Have you decided on a big switch for the crossings?

Don

20 hours ago, -missy- said:

Well that was a bit of a challenge!

I changed the design a little to reflect the photo Andy posted a link to.

J.

20200831_152430.jpg

I would be interested in your construction techniques for soldered track, which I assume this is, mine always turns out a lot more lumpy than yours.

David N

14 hours ago, Donw said:

Looks really good. Insulation gaps to do? Have you decided on a big switch for the crossings?

Don

Thanks Don.

Correct, its not gapped yet. I thought for this one it had to be switched so might as well add a switch blade. I still haven't a clue what direction I am going regarding electrics though (spologies for not replying to your PM)

J.

1 hour ago, davidnuttall said:

I would be interested in your construction techniques for soldered track, which I assume this is, mine always turns out a lot more lumpy than yours.

David N

Hi David.

I am trying out the new etched chairs from the association (1-145 to 1-148) so combined with using solder sparingly and giving them a good scrub with a fibre brush afterwards, I am not doing anything special really. Is there anything specific you are having trouble with?

Julia.

Thanks Julia, if bull a few points using the etched chairs and was using Carrs liquid fluxes and 0.7 solder bolls but changes to liquid rosin flux because of the corrosion issue so ofnot cleaning the flux after use because the point was constructed on a Templot printout and every time I had been soldering I ended up with a cough.

I tend to build track in small batches so can't completely clean the sleepers for the next stint. 

David N

Hi David.

I always think that flux is like point motors, every single person has their own preference! This is the one I have been using for years....

image.png.3e5c84091ac14d1a0cb9595cb14e2954.png

Never had a problem with fumes, corrosion, etc. Its a paste so it stays where I want it to.

Julia.

• Informative/Useful 2

The previously anonymous Jinty of ZAG fame is now 7113.  Number was chosen because the donating loco was built by Vulcan Foundry and I managed not to damage the builders plate on it and there was a surplus of 1s and 3s in the pack of numbers I borrowed from @nebnoswal as he'd used the pack to do 4422.  The crew have been booked in for their surgical operations over the weekend.  I've also got to do something about the smokebox numberplate number as we didn't have any numbers that small.  

IMG_4457.JPG.c01202d5841a3bb54c0bf4c485367f72.JPG

• Like 12