Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

3 hours ago, -missy- said:

Hi.

A bit of wheel manufacture today. All solid steel wheels. The small ones on the right are a scale 1ft diameter, it shows how bad the association flanges are!

image.png.45ed0b2429c09234cd55e8d479220868.png

Julia.

The smaller they get the more they look like the bogie wheels on GF Poole built 4-6-0 and 4-6-2 but what can you do? Hopefully less obvious with the narrow gauge. 

The wheel arrangement must be an ‘interesting’ one with the odd numbers of some wheel sizes. :jester:

Halfway(ish) through a rake of 4 10'6" wooden hoppers for Fenwick Pit from Shop 2.  Making the wagons is successfully distracting me from having to make a decision about which track system they're eventually going to trundle on.

20200929_213948.jpg

20200929_214008.jpg

Edited by Geordie Exile
Fixed link
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Just rolling off my work bench and into the paint shop are these two GWR coaches

They're very nice Ian.

How did you do the C shaped handrail? Are these etched?

I ask as I am currently building some Irish carriages that need a similar shape handrail and have been puzzling about how to get them consistent. 

Even using a Jig I think I might struggle.

Thanks

Angus

3 hours ago, Argos said:

They're very nice Ian.

How did you do the C shaped handrail? Are these etched?

I ask as I am currently building some Irish carriages that need a similar shape handrail and have been puzzling about how to get them consistent. 

Even using a Jig I think I might struggle.

Thanks

Angus

Angus,

The G handles are N brass etchings. I always solder them in place then scrape back to bare brass after painting prior to applying a coat of varnish.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

On 03/10/2020 at 15:58, Ian Smith said:

Angus,

The G handles are N brass etchings. I always solder them in place then scrape back to bare brass after painting prior to applying a coat of varnish.

Ian

How do you get around masking for the second colour with all the door furniture in the way? I ask as I am umming and ahhhing over ease of taping and no scraping or secure fitting but having to scrape. 
thanks

richard 

10 hours ago, richard i said:

How do you get around masking for the second colour with all the door furniture in the way? I ask as I am umming and ahhhing over ease of taping and no scraping or secure fitting but having to scrape. 
thanks

richard 

Richard,

I always cover the cream part with maskol. It requires careful application but the raised mouldings help it to be applied only where I want it. I’m not averse to touching up the paint work with a couple of thin coats with a fine brush, good light, magnification and a steady hand too. :D

If I remember I will have to take some photos as I do these two - Anthony is always after articles for the mag.

Ian

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Richard,

I always cover the cream part with maskol. It requires careful application but the raised mouldings help it to be applied only where I want it. I’m not averse to touching up the paint work with a couple of thin coats with a fine brush, good light, magnification and a steady hand too. :D

If I remember I will have to take some photos as I do these two - Anthony is always after articles for the mag.

Ian

Ian,

That would be great, it was the complete opposite of what I imagined you might say was the order to do things. So I would really appreciate those images.

thank you

richard 

There is an article in Model Railway Jornal No 52 or 54 which explains how to line LNWR coaches in 4mm and the technique can be applied to 2mm scale. If I may be so bold, here are a couple of photos. I intend to do some 2mm coaches using the same technique 

John 

Screenshot_20201005-210726.png

Screenshot_20201005-210655.png

Edited by Coal Tank
  • Like 5

Some time ago I mentioned I was buying a bulk load of Tomix TM-17 chassis from Japan to power some multiple units, well today I finally got one cracked open. This is what you see inside:

avHOCXj.png

The wheel is one piece with a shouldered stub axle. The axle's thicker diameter is 2.4mm and the inner is 1mm, the same as association pinpoints. Overall length from pinpoint to pinpoint is a shade under 14mm, but I imagine the pickups could be tweaked inwards. Note the traction tyre on the other wheelset!

Here's a rough QCAD layout of the arrangement, for which I understand is shared by all Tomix chassis:

5EAp7N3.png

I've sent a note to shop3 to see about the 3-074 'pinpoint ungeared graham farish DMU axle, 6mm' to see if this might be of assistance.

Another option might be to turn down the wheel into a 'boss' and fit a 2mm loco wheel rim...

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

Some time ago I mentioned I was buying a bulk load of Tomix TM-17 chassis from Japan to power some multiple units, well today I finally got one cracked open. This is what you see inside:

avHOCXj.png

The wheel is one piece with a shouldered stub axle. The axle's thicker diameter is 2.4mm and the inner is 1mm, the same as association pinpoints. Overall length from pinpoint to pinpoint is a shade under 14mm, but I imagine the pickups could be tweaked inwards. Note the traction tyre on the other wheelset!

Here's a rough QCAD layout of the arrangement, for which I understand is shared by all Tomix chassis:

5EAp7N3.png

I've sent a note to shop3 to see about the 3-074 'pinpoint ungeared graham farish DMU axle, 6mm' to see if this might be of assistance.

Another option might be to turn down the wheel into a 'boss' and fit a 2mm loco wheel rim...

tried these chassis and managed to secure spare wheels from either  https://www.plazajapan.com/n-scale/ or https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/  to replace the traction tyres   however given the wheel size and wheel spacing rejected them and hoovered up 3 of the farish  express parcel units  (was a silly offer for a twin powered unit)   which offer better spacing and the advantage of using the drop in wheels ( still got a couple of chassis in the bulging gloat box).    Having said that I have a  powered coach running on a tomex chassis  even  though the wheel base and size is wrong

best of luck let us know how you get along

Nick B

Hi Nick, no such luck for the express parcels units, they're as rare as the proverbial rocking horse s*** it seems! These are about 1mm out on the bogie centres, but otherwise spot on - I think I'll learn to live with that as they'll only be in one of four multiple unit bodie. Thank you for the tip on the spare wheels but I think the solution may be in cobbling together something from stub axles, wheel rims and brass if the 3-074 doesn't drop in nicely...

EDIT: If anyone DOES have a parcels express unit they want to part with, I'll happily cross your palm!

Edited by Lacathedrale

Having struggled attaching the droppers to my first attempt at DG couplings, and with a batch of eight to do this evening, I've spent today chewing on the problem: what is exactly the same size of the coupling loop that could hold it dead still while I fixed the dropper to it?

The facepalm moment came eventually...

20201006_202937.jpg

20201006_202902.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

Tomix mechanisms are similar, but not all are fully interchangeable.   The wheelsets seem to be the same, though vary in diameter.   But the bogie gearsets can be different, as are the bogie pivots and the position of the universal-joint in relation to the pivot (which in turn alters how much the drive shaft swings from right-to-left when going round corners).  

No, I can't remember the numbers.   The two Tomix mechs I had earlier this year have gone back to their owner, one under a French prototype body, the other as a spare (though now with small wheels, as its larger wheels are under the French loco).  

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks @Nigelcliffe - the info is appreciated. It seems 3-074 may be the correct width (14.2mm over pinpoints) and shares the same muff diameter - so I am resting my hope for a quick replacement that the axle on this part is split, and it could be a case of just press-fitting the axles onto the original muff.

The top of the same unit got a little bit of love today, my first Worsley etch:

BwjlKXN.png

Cheers,

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 2

I recently purchased a Proxxon MF70 milling machine and have been learning how to use it by machining up a tender chassis for one of my C1 Atlantics.

1402331839_BrassTenderChassis1.jpg.238b656f9c250250b3f4b6f8aab195a2.jpg

Very much a warts and all photo - especially where I managed to drill one of the fixing holes in the wrong place! The top of the chassis needs 1.1mm removing from it to get the tender frames at the right height and then I'll drill out the holes for fixing the frames to the chassis and for the tender drawbar. This has been a big learning process and there are a lot of things (techniques) I'll do differently on the next one. However, for a first attempt, I am happy. All the wheels sit level on the track and it sails through the hand built pointwork in the fiddle yard.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I find that the fine detailing bits and pieces take an inordinate amount of time and effort. I am currently working on a small area of Freshwater yard, at the eastern end, beyond the coal depot building. I have not found any photos of this area, so it is my imagination running wild here. I have a mixture of white metal, plastic, etched brass 3D printed and bits of card and plastic card, some of which are in the photo. I have modified, and added detail where necessary, and produced my own transfers. The Shell logo is correct for the period 1948-1955, but reduced to this size, it looks the same as other period logos. Similarly, the blue circle cement does not show the lettering, and looks like the plain blue circle of later years, but hey, ho, I know it is there.

yard_clutter.jpg.cb520eee5ba776de9889f29900a5f5f9.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 10