Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give this thread a bit of a kick along rather than the 3D printing one - I don't know if everyone reads every general thread but sharing around seems like a good idea, if for no other reason than cross pollinating. 

In between the succession of thunder and hail storms which have come over SEQ this afternoon (one photo I saw had a hail stone next to a cricket ball - no information on the comparative weights but the Kookaburra was a new one and regulation so therefore 156g although unlikely to travel at the speed of hail, even if J R Thompson was slinging them down) I got some of my RCH wagon drawings printed:

IMG_4547.JPG.dc29fb2844e7c6a71602e5b28d920a21.JPG

Left to right:

7 plank with side and bottom doors, steel T section end supports; 7 plank end, side and bottom doors with wooden end supports at the non-door end; 5 plank with side and bottom doors, wooden supports; and finally 5 plank with side and bottom doors and wooden end supports.  I used my collection of Tamiya spray paints to stick some colour on.   Unfortunately the Dull Red (TS-33) on the first of the 5 planks ran out before I got a good depth and rain intervened again before the blue (TS-15) got a second waft.  The brown is TS-69 Linoleum Deck Brown and the grey is TS-4 German Grey.

They are all designed to go on a 16'6" over headstocks chassis - so something like 2-330, 2-332 or 2-341 although I don't think I've any unbuilt examples to check!

I'm very pleased with the results.  My biggest concern now is finding transfers thin enough to come up with some PoW elements - not too worried if they are "real" or not as with the many 1000's of PoWs that ran, almost anything is plausible.

Edited by Sithlord75
more information
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Sithlord75 said:

I'm very pleased with the results.  My biggest concern now is finding transfers thin enough to come up with some PoW elements - not too worried if they are "real" or not as with the many 1000's of PoWs that ran, almost anything is plausible.

This is a real gap in 2mm / N ! 

The NGS have finally made available their remaining stocks of transfers they produced with Modelmaster years ago, which includes a limited selection of PO liveries, which are quite good. But it's a "while they last" arrangement.

There used to be 2mm ranges of rub down PO sides from POWSides and Dragon Models, which I'm pretty sure both got withdrawn. BH Enterprises might well have whatever is left of stocks?

Robbie's Rolling Stock has a range of sides, but in my view they're far too crude for 2mm. 1) they are printed on clear so need a white painted side for the "white" text to show then colour matching paint to the printed sides on the ends. 2) more importantly, they use crude modern fonts like Arial which really stick out like a sore thumb as inappropriate!

I've done some sides for a few East Anglian PO owners on the Ghost white laser system, but it's too much faff to do on a large scale - not least as you need the white and black shading on separate layers of decal film. I do have a few spares kicking around though.

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have not yet found any photos of the eastern end of Freshwater goods yard, beyond the coal depot shed, so I have had to let my imagination run away with me. Lots of little bits that have been littering my workbench for the last few weeks have finally come together to fill this small area of the layout. I expect other bits will get added later, especially as a photo is now bound to turn up.

Waiting for a van to come and pick up some bags of cement, this chap is reading about the birth of Prince Charles, the death of Gandhi and Babe Ruth, and the promising future of the newly formed National Health Service. ModelU figure with home printed transfers. I could not find a headline for nationalisation of the railways.

east_yard_5

He has obviously turned up to work on his old bike, that is propped up against the wall. The scrap in the next bin is bits and pieces of plastic, card and metal collected from the workbench. The oil drums I picked up in Germany. They are metal and hollow, and can be dented or open topped, as required.

east_yard_2

The old pantechnican body used for general storage was left over from an Oxford Models lorry I took the cab from for the Radio Times layout vehicles. It was attacked with a scratch pen and paint washes.

east_yard_4

Edited by Ian Morgan
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

11 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Well spotted

They are also too clean.

The wagons are the thing in the images that makes them stand out as pictures of a model. junk/scrap is something that is so often unconvincing (a difficult modelling subject) however you have captured it so well in that second bin.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The man reading the newspaper can be put to other uses...

I thought I recognised him. How did you pull his trousers down?

24 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

junk/scrap is something that is so often unconvincing (a difficult modelling subject) however you have captured it so well in that second bin.

Thanks. It really was scrap bits and pieces from doing other things that get swept into a corner of my cutting mat. Mostly self coloured, but with a rusty wash and drybrushed highlights after supergluing into a pile.

I forgot to mention the tin foil tarpauline over the cement bags. The pile of sand is for another little project I am working on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

I thought I recognised him. How did you pull his trousers down?

His trousers were carved off using one of my incredibly sharp Japanese chisels. https://www.ebay.com/p/2134870965

The seat of his pants was filled in with some of the spare plastic from his base. The newspaper was made from fag paper and just for good measure he also had a head transplant. 
1BF4EF45_D942_4264_9751_9C1D4EB65DDF.jpe

Tim

Not so much on my workbench but on the computer.  I made a start on learning Adobe Illustrator - which I'll need for the classes I'm currently timetabled on for 2021 (it is a game of Jenga and no one really takes the timetable seriously until the end of January but as long as they want me to do it...) - and thought I would see about drawing up some transfers to put on the RCH wagons.  I made this one up.  My wife's maiden name was Collier and we met in 2005 hence the various elements.  Presently looking like a white lettering on a black wagon but we shall see what develops.  But a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step and from little things, big things grow (meshing an ancient Chinese proverb with a much more recent line from an Australian song). 

image.png.4605d1bc0a0e2970eef99f7f9d2d4988.png

image.png

Edited by Sithlord75
fixed picture size
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

St Albans doesn’t have an apostrophe in St Albans, Herts. 

Tim

Perils of autocorrect!!

37 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

And should it not say "colliers" since it says "& Co". 

Jim

Yes, if you’re going with grammar and not pacifying your wife!

Edited by Sithlord75
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Yorkshire Square said:

??? Why not?

Because its a company and therefore not one individual. 

On the other hand, and to help Kevin's domestic situation, it could be 'Knight & Collier, Coal Factors'. 

Jim 

8 minutes ago, Yorkshire Square said:

But it could be "Knight, Collier & Co".

SWMBO says no.  She has agreed to Colliers on the principal you marry into the family....

771719891_KnightCo.png.bf755b7230bfdbb7a8e2faa7166e2fe1.png

Trial fit over the jpeg of the 1923 RCH wagon (without end doors).

Edited by Sithlord75
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

SWMBO says no.  She has agreed to Colliers on the principal you marry into the family....

771719891_KnightCo.png.bf755b7230bfdbb7a8e2faa7166e2fe1.png

Trial fit over the jpeg of the 1923 RCH wagon (without end doors).

Not understanding this discussion. Surely it says, "Knight &Co, Colliers"

Not that there are that many pits in St Albans.

Perhaps you meant that obscure Yorkshire village, St Alban's

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

4 minutes ago, Chris Higgs said:

Not understanding this discussion. Surely it says, "Knight &Co, Colliers"

Look at Kevin's original post on the subject.  On that it said 'Collier', singular.

Jim (who has to admit that grammar was never one of my strengths)

• RMweb Premium

It’s all down to accepted practice and tradition. I work at Guy’s & St Thomas’ Hospitals - I can easily understand the former but not the latter.  It all gets a bit beyond my pay grade. 

This little article may help others to get to sleep at night. http://www.lurs.org.uk/documents/pdf 08/nov/The Underground and the Apostrophe.pdf

Tim

Edited by CF MRC