Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

I thought that lime as a disinfectant was banned on health grounds in the early twentieth century because of the damage it did to the hooves of livestock? But anyway, regarding the infilled track, it does not look like a drain to me, there are no culverts or manholes at the ends. Is it not simply to allow dung and bedding straw which fell onto the track to be easily gathered up and removed by barrow? I think I can see brick courses rather than concrete, at least in the part next the running lines. It is certainly a nice “modelworthy” detail.

regards

Graham

Edit: just found better info here

Edited by Graham R
Added link to disinfectant discussion

16 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

My strong suspicion is that it is concreted over the sleepers in order to allow the washings etc. to be flushed away rather than have them simply soak into the ballast.

I looked it up in Stephen Williams' GW branch line modelling, this confirms your suspicion:

'Standard arrangements show the rail immediately in front of the pens set in concrete with drainage gullies to facilitate cleansing'.

Jan 

My work so far... 

Mk1 FO

and Mk 1 BG

Really enjoying the build so far, etched kits have moved on hugely over 30 years. Has anyone got any photos of the water filling point over the toilet compartment and what the handrails are like. I guess David Parkin’s Mk 1 book should be a purchase but the cost. 
Looks like I’m going to be buying a few more of these kits. 0259A933-04AA-4021-B21F-923D81989B2E.jpeg.a033d4ccce5ebe93731b632c9b0a26e0.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Freshwater wagon works are still hard at work. My pair of 3D printed LBSCR 5 plank opens have had their first coat of paint. Some more of these are on their way from Shapeways.

IMG_20201228_161107

A Chivers' PMV (to be labelled PLV for use on the Isle of Wight) is on an Association etched chassis. I had originally painted it green, but that would be too late for Freshwater. The PLVs arrived a couple of years before Freshwater closed, so could have visited with passengers' 'Luggage In Advance'. Awaiting some transfers from Cambridge Custom Transfers.

IMG_20201228_163511

Four ex-LBSCR single bolsters as used for carrying rail about the island. The body and chassis sides (and bolsters) are 3D printed from Shapeways by Barm Model Productions. I replaced the printed brake Vs with bits of Association etch in my spares pot - the unused double V intended for use with independent brakes. The axleboxes were drilled to take Association top hat bearings, and the brake rigging and handles are from and old Association brass etch, cut up and reformed to suit the 7 foot wheelbase. A combination of PowerBond CA glue, and UV cure glue holds all the bits together.

IMG_20210103_150858

• Like 15

On 03/01/2021 at 13:39, justin1985 said:

I seem to have run out of spare & offcut brake parts that I'd need to complete more models built this way though! Might have to think about getting an etch made up specifically - although I half remember @2mm Andy mentioned he had something like that in the works?

Justin

Still very much "in the works" I'm afraid. BTW, the GE vans are very nice.

Andy

E31CA66D-3E5E-40E5-938C-9EB7EAC32D27.jpeg.b39afca7c3cda8d098675fc88074d530.jpegI hope no one’s getting bored of my current project (I’ve not built an etched coach kit in nearly 30 years, and that in Scale4).

The basic shells are completed. Next step is to make all the holes are clear for hand rails, door handles and to make up and solder in the end foot steps. After that it’s the under frame. 
It would probably a lot easier to detail ready to run BR Mk1 coaches but it wouldn’t be half as satisfying. I’m just hoping the remaining stock at Shop 3 doesn’t sell out first. I’m on the look out for unmade BFK kits, GUV and CCT kits. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They are very nice kits thanks to the efforts of Chris Higgs. I would suggest, if you not aware already, that fine guitar wire of around the 9/8/7 thou mark ( I use 9thou Elixir anti-rust plain steel) is best for the handrails. I also found it better/easier to separate the window bar etches and attach them to the insides individually. Think I did it using d/s tape IIRC. As you say well worth making.

Bob

15 hours ago, 1965Nick said:

E31CA66D-3E5E-40E5-938C-9EB7EAC32D27.jpeg.b39afca7c3cda8d098675fc88074d530.jpegI hope no one’s getting bored of my current project (I’ve not built an etched coach kit in nearly 30 years, and that in Scale4).

The basic shells are completed. Next step is to make all the holes are clear for hand rails, door handles and to make up and solder in the end foot steps. After that it’s the under frame. 
It would probably a lot easier to detail ready to run BR Mk1 coaches but it wouldn’t be half as satisfying. I’m just hoping the remaining stock at Shop 3 doesn’t sell out first. I’m on the look out for unmade BFK kits, GUV and CCT kits. 

I have some of all the three you mention (BFK, GUV, CCT). SK are all gone though.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi

It depends on which way up you have the iPhone/iPad as it stores the orientation with the image. For example if I take a photo with my iPad with the home button on the left then the image will appear upside down on forums. If I take it with the home button on the right the photo is the correct way up on the forums.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I now have my circle test tracks working well enough to run some trains so I've posted some videos on YouTube for anyone interested. I wanted to test my 9F as I thought it would be useful to test the quality of the track with a long wheelbase loco and then see what the haulage capacity was like. I was relieved that it managed this:

I was pleasantly surprised when the next loco also managed the same load:

And finally :

Apologies for the picture quality. It got quite dark after the first video.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Very nice Nigel. What's the radius of the test track?

Hi Simon,

Thanks. The outer radius track is 30". The 9F (and a Duchess) seem OK on that. I used steel coil for the inner track rail and this seemed less springy and more prone to retain kinks after being laid. As a result bigger locos seem to struggle on it compared with the outer circle, though I think they would be OK if the curves were smoother and kink-free. The inner circle radius should be about 21mm less than the outer track, just over 29".

Nigel Hunt

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Some grampus wagons. The 2-505 body with 2-351 chassis plus wheels/axleboxes/buffers/dg's. And some door bangers added. Quite pleased with how the home-brew transfers have turned out, better than I expected given their heritage. Ink-jet printed at 1200dpi onto Bare Metal foil white waterslide paper. Just need a bit of toning down now with weathering along with various loads. It should hide all the faults at least...I hope....!

1800668052_RMwebET02.jpg.cb8ef9cda482460d1f4cfed579d7a45f.jpg

1453393613_RMwebET03.jpg.e824cb1f7054cc3f2f61440bf7b871d6.jpg

Bob

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

As I mentioned on my last post in the Kirkallanmuir thread, on my workbench/desk for the past week has been a tandem turnout for the F&C Group's proposed new layout.  Now completed, but still to be cleaned up.

DSC_1546.JPG.2dd73db3760366066a806e724824cfbc.JPG

The lumps of Blutack are just to hold the temporary tie-bars in position to test it.  Some of the long timbers in the centre need cutting back a little. They were made the length shown on the Templot template, but they could do with evening up with the rest.

It uses the Laurie Adams chairs, but I have to say that it was a challenge to fit them in some locations where there are rails very close beside one another.  The numbers scribbled along the top are the timber lengths and the letters above and below are to indicate the type of chair, though for the aforementioned reason I didn't always follow what I had planned.

The turnout on the template running on from bottom left is being made by another member of the group.

Jim

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2