Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

On 21/01/2021 at 17:11, 2mm Andy said:

What you've done so far looks really good but I must admit that I think you're brave to choose a hopper wagon for your first wagon etch design project. I've done a few etch designs for wagons (or bits of wagons) over the past few years and have slowly got the hang of it (mostly by making different mistakes on each project!). My current project is a NER P5/P17 mineral wagon (one of these which has vertical sides/ends but with a wooden hopper inside), and there are bits of it making my brain hurt!

Andy

I'm working on a 3D print of one of them. Mine is based on the drawing that was in the NERA magazine some time ago, and doesn't look quite the same: it has a single row of bolts on the cornerplates and the bufferrs housed in rather strange extensions to the solebars.572378106_Screenshot2021-01-25141926.jpg.4883f9b5daf31ad2cdd4cf2a8005382d.jpg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, bill-lobb said:

I'm working on a 3D print of one of them. Mine is based on the drawing that was in the NERA magazine some time ago, and doesn't look quite the same: it has a single row of bolts on the cornerplates and the bufferrs housed in rather strange extensions to the solebars.

These 'rather strange extensions to the solebars' are dumb buffers.  Very common up to the mid 1880's on mineral wagons especially.  the weren't outlawed until the early 1900's and even then some lasted until 1923.  The extensions to the end stanchions were for the buffers of chauldron wagons which were narrower.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

These 'rather strange extensions to the solebars' are dumb buffers.  Very common up to the mid 1880's on mineral wagons especially.  the weren't outlawed until the early 1900's and even then some lasted until 1923.  The extensions to the end stanchions were for the buffers of chauldron wagons which were narrower.

Jim

Hi Jim,

That is exactly what they look like, but in fact there were buffer shanks and heads protruding from the ends and a leaf spring connecting the two shanks behind the headstock. See the attached extract of R H Lacy's drawing from North Eastern Express. The photographs seemed  to suggest that they were changed for more conventional buffers, as in the photo in Andy's link. I personally have never seen anything like them in ay other wagon, so I wanted to model them this way. Now I just need to work out how to model the chassis and the also rather unusual NER Central Division brake gear.

Bill

Screenshot 2021-01-25 181336.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I wonder if this was an early form of conversion from dumb to spindle buffers, using the dumb buffer as a guide for the spindle ones?  It would probably be cheaper and easier to do than rebuilding the headstock to fit the usual cast guides.

Jim

40 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

I wonder if this was an early form of conversion from dumb to spindle buffers, using the dumb buffer as a guide for the spindle ones?  It would probably be cheaper and easier to do than rebuilding the headstock to fit the usual cast guides.

Jim

That does sound reasonable, especially given that the earliest of these wagons incorporated parts from earlier wagons.

Bill

19 hours ago, bill-lobb said:

I'm working on a 3D print of one of them. Mine is based on the drawing that was in the NERA magazine some time ago, and doesn't look quite the same: it has a single row of bolts on the cornerplates and the bufferrs housed in rather strange extensions to the solebars.

That looks really good Bill. There do seem to be a lot of variations with these wagons - planking, corner plates, internal strapping/timberwork, solebars, axleboxes, buffers, brakes...pretty much the entire wagon! I guess it's inevitable for a wagon design that lasted a long time. I've been using the drawing in the Tatlow LNER wagons book as the basis for my work (it's a composite of a P5/P17 wagon), but I do have a copy of the NERA drawing you mentioned (as well as another one in an album of drawings published by the NERA many years ago). 

Andy

1 hour ago, 2mm Andy said:

That looks really good Bill. There do seem to be a lot of variations with these wagons - planking, corner plates, internal strapping/timberwork, solebars, axleboxes, buffers, brakes...pretty much the entire wagon! I guess it's inevitable for a wagon design that lasted a long time. I've been using the drawing in the Tatlow LNER wagons book as the basis for my work (it's a composite of a P5/P17 wagon), but I do have a copy of the NERA drawing you mentioned (as well as another one in an album of drawings published by the NERA many years ago). 

Andy

Thank you, Andy. It looks fine on paper, but I haven't managed a decent print yet, partly (I hope)  because I have changed to a new type of resin and am still experimenting with the settings for it. I'm possibly being a bit perverse as every photograph I have seen looks like the Tatlow drawing rather than the one I am using.  As I say, I just like it.

Is the NERA album the "Diagrams of Wagons"? I find those rather tantalising as there is enough detail to get you interested, but not enough to make a model without further information.

Bill

42 minutes ago, bill-lobb said:

Is the NERA album the "Diagrams of Wagons"? I find those rather tantalising as there is enough detail to get you interested, but not enough to make a model without further information.

Bill

No, it's a comb-bound album of drawings from the North Eastern Express, and is dated 1981. The drawing in it for the P17 hopper is dated January 1964, the draughtsman being Ian Holloway. The reproduction isn't wonderful, but it's still a useful reference.  There is a copy on Amazon (at a considerably higher price than I paid!);

https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-Express-Railway-Drawings/dp/B000YDG80Y

I do have a couple of the NERA wagon diagram books too - I'd forgotten about those. As you say, they don't really have enough detail to make a model.

Andy

3 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

No, it's a comb-bound album of drawings from the North Eastern Express, and is dated 1981. The drawing in it for the P17 hopper is dated January 1964, the draughtsman being Ian Holloway. The reproduction isn't wonderful, but it's still a useful reference.  There is a copy on Amazon (at a considerably higher price than I paid!);

https://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-Express-Railway-Drawings/dp/B000YDG80Y

I do have a couple of the NERA wagon diagram books too - I'd forgotten about those. As you say, they don't really have enough detail to make a model.

Andy

Ah yes - I do have that book. My turn to admit I had forgotten about it.:)

Bill

• Like 1

As I hinted in my last post on my Kirkallanmuir thread, I put together another of my 7ton 'bogie' kits and painted it and the two Dia 22 minerals that have been sitting in NWSLR livery for well over a year.

243646443_Dixonsbogie2.JPG.0a25a54d94def7d2ea59aeb6adda83d1.JPG

I can't say that they are just out of the paint shop as they have clearly been earning their keep for some time.  In truth, the heavy weathering helps to disguise the less-than-perfect lettering.

The two Dixon wagons will be semi-permanently coupled between a couple of others, so don't have AJ's fitted, just a wire which hooks under the headstocks of their neighbours, the two outer ones having the AJ's.

Jim

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/01/2021 at 18:20, bill-lobb said:

in fact there were buffer shanks and heads protruding from the ends and a leaf spring connecting the two shanks behind the headstock. 

Cheaper than cast iron buffer guides? I think I've seen similar on other antique wagons e.g. some NSR wagons built by Metropolitan as late as c. 1870, in Chadwick, North Staffordshire Wagons (Wild Swan, 1993). There's even a photo, at Burton, no later than very early 1900s.

13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Cheaper than cast iron buffer guides? I think I've seen similar on other antique wagons e.g. some NSR wagons built by Metropolitan as late as c. 1870, in Chadwick, North Staffordshire Wagons (Wild Swan, 1993). There's even a photo, at Burton, no later than very early 1900s.

Interesting. I had missed those NSR wagons. The NER drawing was apparently dated 1879, so a similar timescale.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The recent article in the Two Mil mag by Bob Jones dealing with his LNER triplicate set motivated me to progress one of my LMS articulated pairs. The one I'm attempting is the BTO/TO set and here are some pics of the first underframe. Progress was slow at first as I couldn't make my mind up about the articulation joint. In the end I decided om something similar to the prototype. It looks promising but I'll need both underframes built to test it out.

1138294790_Artic1.JPG.005f762cecea5436ee9a9dd12b20fd90.JPG

1766760284_Artic2.JPG.ac39227e3a6878d7a3b727fc509205ab.JPG

512821529_Artic3.JPG.07f7838860eff3b77cffcb23bf1048f4.JPG

1347894991_Artic4.JPG.7067e68c47f91dec51478b655863fae2.JPG

Nigel Hunt

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Nig H said:

The recent article in the Two Mil mag by Bob Jones dealing with his LNER triplicate set motivated me to progress one of my LMS articulated pairs. The one I'm attempting is the BTO/TO set and here are some pics of the first underframe. Progress was slow at first as I couldn't make my mind up about the articulation joint. In the end I decided om something similar to the prototype. It looks promising but I'll need both underframes built to test it out.

Nigel Hunt

I'll be watching this with interest - I have plans to make a CO/TO pair, since I have some spare Worsley Works D1981 sides that are very close if you chop one end off.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Rolling off my workbench this evening were the last few wagon wheels of a batch which will be bound for Shop 2 imminently.

These are plain disc wheels on 12.25mm axles 3-hole disc wheels on 13.7mm axles, and represent my contribution to a larger order from the shop totalling 1100 axles. They are being assembled in various dank caves across Yorkshire and neighbouring territories where Trolls are rumoured to have established socially-awkward-distanced dwelling places.

2004311820_wagonwheels.jpg.98636ce15745903252580887b1dcc7c2.jpg

These are following hot on the heels (or should that be hot boxes?) of another 1000 axles sent to the shop last month.

I don't know who is building all these wagons, but I look forward to seeing some of them complete...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

Rolling off my workbench this evening were the last few wagon wheels of a batch which will be bound for Shop 2 imminently.

These are plain disc wheels on 12.25mm axles 3-hole disc wheels on 13.7mm axles, and represent my contribution to a larger order from the shop totalling 1100 axles. They are being assembled in various dank caves across Yorkshire and neighbouring territories where Trolls are rumoured to have established socially-awkward-distanced dwelling places.

These are following hot on the heels (or should that be hot boxes?) of another 1000 axles sent to the shop last month.

I don't know who is building all these wagons, but I look forward to seeing some of them complete...

Snap - I started a batch of 300 of the 8 spoke wagon wheels on 12.25mm axles during the 2mm Zoom meeting this morning and finished them off this afternoon (once I'd thawed out from my permitted daily exercise). No photo as they're already packed ready for dispatch to Shop 2 early next week and the wheel press has been tidied away until the next order arrives.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

I'm building quite a few - something over 25 in the next couple of month plus there are about 20 which need the "right" wheels so 100 axles for me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

Snap - I started a batch of 300 of the 8 spoke wagon wheels on 12.25mm axles during the 2mm Zoom meeting this morning and finished them off this afternoon (once I'd thawed out from my permitted daily exercise). No photo as they're already packed ready for dispatch to Shop 2 early next week and the wheel press has been tidied away until the next order arrives.

Andy

Excellent news - I'll give it a week then get 50 of them...

• Like 1

Hello.

One of those 'little' jobs which has been on my to do list for what seem ages was to update my stock box. I have had problems with the open cell foam which is normally used for a while, as it seems to love nothing more than stripping detail from my engines, wagons etc. A recent opportunity came when my new toolbox was packed with some closed cell foam which was an ideal thickness, saving me having to mess more than I needed to. A little while later, the box has new foamy bits...

20210220_170008.jpg.e96cebffb2ddceb2e531fcb917db6e3f.jpg20210220_170001.jpg.d8d4f90d7f2cbc99d645b008f32e382d.jpg

Julia.

• Like 12

Hi Julia,

That looks very neat. When you say stripping detail, do you mean things like handrails getting snagged on the foam or some sort of reaction with the paintwork on the model? Just asking as I've got a lot of stuff stored in similar boxes (bought from the chap who used to attend exhibitions with his entire stand piled high with stock boxes).

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy