Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Square said:

I was going to ask if the wheels on the truck go round and round... :D

Depends if they are spoked wheels or solid ones.

Julia :p

Edited by -missy-
english
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Reg, the Freshwater delivery driver, is about to start delivering the Luggage in Advance (LIA) to the hotels and boarding houses around Totland Bay. He is really happy that his Morris PV van finally has some glass in the windows.

At last, off my workbench and fixed to the layout, I painted this white metal model maroon and cream over 12 years ago. I glazed it this week with some clear plastic from a tray of exceedingly good cakes. Then I did a little online research and found that the roof was canvas, and should be grey, and that the mud guards were almost invariably black. Also, the wheels were sticking out too far, so I had to cut them off, shorten the axles and glue them back. After a little touching up, addition of some number plates (DL for Isle of Wight) and a 12BA bolt to stick into the ground, it finally has a permanent place on the layout.

I know that the Southern Railway had very few motor vehicles, and have no idea if a Morris PV van ever wore British Railways livery, but I have not yet found out how LIA was distributed. Therefore, Rule 1 applies (until I get told at the next exhibition).

Morris PV Van at Freshwater

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 29/04/2021 at 19:24, -missy- said:

Teeny Tiny Wagon Chassis...

image.png.b07d28749b0afd16541e24dbf3284629.png

Had to make my own bending jig for it...

image.png.fd67d2f145c3adb8a262ee5a0e51250c.png

Julia :)

'Want one!'  Well, I don’t want just ONE, I want several please! What wheelbase are they and what gauge? What wheels are you going to use with them?

Sam

5 hours ago, Sam Kennion said:

'Want one!'  Well, I don’t want just ONE, I want several please! What wheelbase are they and what gauge? What wheels are you going to use with them?

Sam

If you don't know the gauge, the wheelbase and what wheels fit them, how do you know that you definitely want some...? :blink:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

On 02/05/2021 at 17:43, 2mm Andy said:

If you don't know the gauge, the wheelbase and what wheels fit them, how do you know that you definitely want some...? :blink:

Educated guess on the gauge (and the rest). I'm fairly sure they'll be useful. :good:

Edited by Sam Kennion

On 02/05/2021 at 17:43, 2mm Andy said:

7mm coarse scale broad gauge. Displayed on a beautifully modelled overscale finger... ;)

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I've not done much modelling of late but have decided I need to finish some of the models I have hanging around and cluttering the workbench.

To that end the primer was broken out

IMG_20201123_211206.jpg.d4a4cb21304217051b9cd026c9fbd0f5.jpg

The eclectic mix probably explains why my modelling sometimes lacks focus and gets derailed!

From left to right, a Midland Railway van, a BR plywood vent van, two LMS vans, a LNER fish van, a MGWR horsebox (Irish, photo'd in a relatively recent 2mm scale association magazine}, a MGWR fish van, a LMS open wagon, a Caledonian Railway open wagon and finally a CB&SCR open wagon (Irish, a kind gift from a fellow 2mm modeller).

Edited by Argos
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

The level crossing has finally been installed. Getting the gates and posts to line up wasn't as easy as I had hoped. As you can see there is an awful long way to go, please forgive the crudeness of it all, but the layout works, which is the main thing, and power is cut to the track around the crossing when it is closed. Or rather open to road traffic. There will be a semaphore signal eventually, and hopefully interlocked with the gates. But the standard hacked servo design I now use for points may be a bit too fast so experiments are under way to see what I can come up with that fits with the power and control arrangements used.

545629495_RMwebTITRLC15.jpg.022b29b4d0b492b4e2f043701d743172.jpg

473849373_RMwebTITRLC16.jpg.5d34e342eccb8a66e2eb1a936d5e80e4.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

The level crossing has finally been installed. Getting the gates and posts to line up wasn't as easy as I had hoped. As you can see there is an awful long way to go, please forgive the crudeness of it all, but the layout works, which is the main thing, and power is cut to the track around the crossing when it is closed. Or rather open to road traffic. There will be a semaphore signal eventually, and hopefully interlocked with the gates. But the standard hacked servo design I now use for points may be a bit too fast so experiments are under way to see what I can come up with that fits with the power and control arrangements used.

A simple Geneva drive - disc underneath, swinging each gate in turn.  As used on Coldfair Green, video below, mechanism built by John Watson.   Needs a simple DC motor to rotate it. End stops are microswitches with diodes (to allow reversing away from the stop).   Control is DPDT switch (open/close).   
Get the motor gearing so the disc rotates at a sensible speed and the gates will move beautifully - starting slowly, fastest in the middle, and slowing as they reach 90 degrees.   The drive pins need some fine-pitch adjustment of radius, hence in short slots in the disk, so they correctly move the gate controls through 90 degrees.   ( Ignore the relays to the side, they're used to interlock signalling and information to a remote control panel. )

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

A break from wagon building with a  B6 Easitrac pegged point with machined frog, my first point.

Tonight's job file the point blades 

2021-05-11_05-37-28

Edited by tapdieuk
Photo link edit
  • Like 15

2nd round of prints of axle boxes with springs. The gap between solebar and component has closed up (top) compared with the first (bottom) but version 3 will be required at least. 

4CB45AE2-326B-4AC6-B845-5139477EA316.jpeg.59b873bf247cd28cf7a9a2385aa5aeb8.jpeg

My hasty updating of the CAD meant that there is an error in the change that I made. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Sithlord75 said:

Is that a cobbled chassis you've got under there or a "shop brought" one?

Both. I cobbled a 2-363 and something brake lever shaped that looked the right size with a part from a 2-361 that will no longer be possible to build as DC1. 

• Thanks 1

Not so much as on the workbench but on the dining room table (more space) showing the Shop 2 order which arrived today for members of the SEQAG.  Should keep us busy for a couple of weeks......

331217346_Shop2orderMay2021.jpeg.afe84e1d4e906d25b7bd01f78d48f5c0.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

Not so much as on the workbench but on the dining room table (more space) showing the Shop 2 order which arrived today for members of the SEQAG.  Should keep us busy for a couple of weeks......

331217346_Shop2orderMay2021.jpeg.afe84e1d4e906d25b7bd01f78d48f5c0.jpeg

Wasn't the remaining worldwide stock of NGS LMS brake vans enough ?!

Simon 

• Funny 5

Thursday night knitting club tonight - back at my place after two weeks of being at @nebnoswal's.  

We made a start on the collection which turned up from Shop 2 earlier this week.  I'd have made more progress but for an enjoyable half hour chatting with @John Brenchley in WA.

1650702648_WorkbenchKnitting20-5.JPG.6d5be2fea05e44c7b50330196e1bfc84.JPG

Another chassis for a RCH 1907 7 planker, a 8'6" chassis for a SDJR Horsebox and a 9'6" chassis for the LBSC wagon (body in place to check the fit).  Neb got a chassis built to go under his SDJR Cattle wagon.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not quite on my workbench yet but heading that way are these test etches for the balustrades on the former Kings Cross footbridge, now at Ropley. These will be used in conjunction with the 3D printed parts to make up the stair sections. Now I know they are a realistic prospect for etching (they're only 6.64mm tall!) the full sides can be produced. 

Thanks to @Pixie for chucking them on a spare section of etch! 

840976CC-73B7-4BA2-89D7-C5D863C9B06E.jpeg.c6e1723574772f9700ab221bca956eb3.jpeg

6.64mm tall!!

Tom.  

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, JohnBS said:

Hi all,

Well, I haven’t managed to get to grips with my larger layout - Totnes - as it is in storage in Wells, fifteen miles away, and, in these times of plague,  it has been impossible to get over there. However, I’ve been gently pegging away at a stand alone model. 
It's hardly the Quinquereme of Nineveh but rather a coaster unloading timber from Danzig for Reeves at the Totnes quayside. It started life as the Scalescene kit T030 Cargo Ship, but antedated to be a steam-driven ship from the 1930s, rather than a diesel-powered ship from the 1950s.

0911DCFB-2ACC-4053-87A3-161F7D7588F2.jpeg.f3e35e4acb1c8e4875389412b4d63422.jpeg
Scalescenes T030 Cargo Ship as intended.

57B4ADCD-A8FD-453F-8CB0-C06D77377A9A.jpeg.e151dd106f200ed90a6a996b65adb62a.jpeg

"Baltic Adventurer" as modified. She now has a much bluffer bow, hold positions moved to give space for the central winch, derrick and booms, bridge changed, a tall smokestack (salt-caked?), ventilators and a skylight to the engine room, a single lifeboat and a cutter on the davits and cargo, basic rigging and portholes.

EA01F02A-E587-4EAC-8C8B-D84DFD845EEB.jpeg.90dcef4da39e5a1a92e0412ac3026abc.jpeg

The ship will be in the middle distance on the layout so is intended to be a sketch rather than an exhibition model.

So all I now need to do is unite the ship with the layout - I am looking forward to it.

Best wishes to you all,

John

Wonderful stuff John. I saw Totnes last night, my first visit to the club under the rule of six for months - fingers crossed we can get back down there at the end of June. The layout was safe and well, Laurie G and I had a quick peak under the dust sheet.

i have my second jab this coming Saturday and am long overdue a visit to 'me Julie' to sort my hair out so will call in.

Jerry

• Like 1