Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

On 25/05/2021 at 22:03, queensquare said:

Wonderful stuff John. I saw Totnes last night, my first visit to the club under the rule of six for months - fingers crossed we can get back down there at the end of June. The layout was safe and well, Laurie G and I had a quick peak under the dust sheet.

i have my second jab this coming Saturday and am long overdue a visit to 'me Julie' to sort my hair out so will call in.

Jerry

Jerry,

I look forward to it - see you soon.

John

On 29/05/2021 at 01:14, Sithlord75 said:

A boomerang which doesn't come back is called a stick.

Did you hear about the bloke who bought himself a new boomerang? He spent the rest of his life trying to get rid of the old one! 

I'll show myself out...

After a few weeks of not sharing any progress, the layout has its first baseboard and track has started to go down! 

IMG_4634.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

We had one dog who loved to chase after a stick. If you went for a walk one or two days later in the same area he would find sticks you had thrown the last time and bring them up to you to throw again.

You couldn't throw a stick away with him.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I recently came across another photo showing part of Freshwater's goods yard. It seems to show the cattle dock platform had been extended southwards to a new wall aligned with the front of the corrugated iron shed. The wall appeared to be built from concrete blocks (what I have always called 'breeze blocks' but apparently I am wrong, breeze blocks are perforated horizontally to let the breeze through). One feature of roughly built walls like this is that the vertical holes in the blocks were often not covered or filled. I wanted to show this effect. I did consider 3D printing, but felt it was pushing the technology too far. Instead I got some square brass tubing and soldered two lengths together. When cleaning up with a file, it showed that the sides of the tubes were actually somewhat concave. I had to apply lots more solder and then file them smooth again. I still need to clean up my file.

Next, I made a simple sawing jig from coffee stirrers, so as to aid getting consistent height blocks, and started sawing. After sawing, quite a lot of cleaning up using the tip of a triangular file was needed. Fortunately, I only need enough blocks to form the top row. The lower rows can be made from plastic. Here is my pile of blocks to far:

IMG_20210606_171939

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 06/06/2021 at 17:47, Ian Morgan said:

The wall appeared to be built from concrete blocks (what I have always called 'breeze blocks' but apparently I am wrong, breeze blocks are perforated horizontally to let the breeze through).

No, you are correct in UK terminology. Breeze blocks were made from cinders from power stations, sometimes known as "breeze". They could have the two square(ish) holes or be solid.

If the ones you are modelling are made from terracotta then they become known as pot blocks in some places.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Progressing bit by bit over the last few weeks. 

All the track has been laid and wired except for point frogs, which will be powered from a relay on the servo board. A converted Jinty and a 9v battery revealed that it all works where it should without shorts. There is a tight spot on the tandem that needs a bit of fettling.

Incidentally, I had tons of fun assembling the MERG Servo1R kits, which are now all ready. 

Hopefully I can get it all finished, plus a fiddle yard/cassette board for the 2mm Association’s Diamond Jubilee +2 celebration next year. 

Not bad progress for 10 months in, I think. 

(excuse the out of scale track, mini-me

demanded that we get Thomas and Percy out!)

06E559A2-D1FE-45E7-95D8-1754E61F7C8F.jpeg

9E95A39A-FA5C-441E-967E-6064BC0E7E72.jpeg

Edited by A. Bastow
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

My brass 'concrete blocks' have now been glued to some scribed plastic, and given a coat of paint.

IMG_20210619_110642

This has now been glued into position ready for some final landscaping.

IMG_20210626_151758

Edited by Ian Morgan
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, -missy- said:

Hi.

I am sure I am missing detail here, any thoughts / suggestions....?

image.png.7d155c40625be5de2df3525b45ee2638.png

Thanks

Julia.

Possibly a winch, anchors, coils of rope & fenders (old car tyres). Super little boats, Julia. Are they for a layout, perchance?

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, -missy- said:

Hi.

I am sure I am missing detail here, any thoughts / suggestions....?

image.png.7d155c40625be5de2df3525b45ee2638.png

Thanks

Julia.

It needs to look like it was being maintained by BR in the 1960s! Rust, dirt and a general air of neglect...

Duncan

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alex Duckworth said:

Possibly a winch, anchors, coils of rope & fenders (old car tyres). Super little boats, Julia. Are they for a layout, perchance?

Alex.

Thank you Alex. I can neither agree or disagree with your comment about a layout.

4 hours ago, mike morley said:

radar and radio ariels on the wheelhouse roof.  Navigation lights.

Not sure about the navigation lights Mike. I think the rest might be a little too modern for what I am aiming for though.

3 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

This might give you some idea of the clutter on a fishing boat.   

image.png.44f5d055058d84a698caaa88ae14bdd9.png

More images of NE Scotland fishing boats here.

Jim

Thank you Jim. There are some interesting and potentially useful pictures within that link you posted.

3 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Water?

Ha!

2 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

perhaps a Funnel 

Nick B

Thanks Nick. I think the boats are a bit too small for a full on steam plant with funnel.

Could be wrong though.

Julia :)