Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

So, there are at least two people interested in the numbering of S&DJR wagons over a century after the fact. I put it to you, with the greatest respect (and knowing nothing of your fame in other fields of human endeavour), that fewer than two people will be interested in your secondary school essays on Macbeth a century hence... So I argue that the two cases are not comparable. 

Fair point but I know as a history teacher and amateur historian we know far more about, for example, Tutankhamun than we do about those who toiled away on a daily basis to build the goods and tomb he occupied and I would argue it is those who are more interesting than Tut for no other reason they are more like us than he is.   Maybe a slightly more comparable frame of reference would be how many people spotted car number plates and models so you know what cars should be in the station forecourt on a wet Wednesday in August of 1957?  Just as useful information, and just as likely to have passed into history without anyone knowing nor caring.

If we had the chance to tell those who built said wagons we wanted to know their numbers, I suspect they (the builders) we regard us as slightly mad!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hello.

So Mk1, 2mm scale NG coupling hasn't really worked.

image.png.ed65369c51873015b5167e4f9e105acd.png

The main problem is I assembled the body of the coupling before adding the loop wire, as a result I had to open out the pivot holes a little too much to allow the wire with the bends through the holes making the loop wire a bit too loose when in position. I also had to increase the size of the catch wire to 0.4mm as the 0.3mm wire was a little too floppy and tended to fall either sides of the catch support bit. In principle it should work but it needs a different approach.

A huge thanks to Roger for the original design for this.

Any thoughts?

Julia.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This is really looking great!

It is a pity that it doesn´t work to your satisfaction- for just now...

It is a bit looking as if the loop would only pivot on one side but that may be a matter of perspective of the photo.  

What do you think about a loop design allowing more side play for the pin/hook for tight curve radii. This could certainly be done with this elegant DG-like design, however, other designs of prototype couplings would give much more excuse for a bigger and more coarse loop design.

I am pretty sure you will not really need my thoughts but I felt invited to tell them.

(Personally for my choice of prototype I´d take an ordinary central buffer and a 3 link coupling on both sides. But not this year and probably not next.)

best wishes...

photo:  HSB coupling:  fido / buntbahn.de  (at bing.com)

ng coupling harz.jpg

Edited by Klaus ojo
source
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi a little bit of progress on the 8F,the smoke box and cab arent fixed in place. The kit comes with a cast boiler and smoke box, an etched option would have been nice 

John 

IMG_20210801_183602.jpg

IMG_20210801_183251.jpg

What are you going to use for the smokebox front John?

Regards,

Simon

13 minutes ago, 65179 said:

What are you going to use for the smokebox front John?

Regards,

Simon

Hi Simón 

The smoke box in the photo comes as an option(I think) so I Will probably have to use the white metal one. There are no other parts for the etched one in the kit I Will have a think. If Im honest I would rather use the etch

John 

Edited by Coal Tank

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi Simón 

The smoke box in the photo comes as an option(I think) so I Will probably have to use the white metal one. There are no other parts for the etched one in the kit I Will have a think. If Im honest I would rather use the etch

John 

Mine has stalled, as has most modelling at the moment, due to me having back issues, but I've got this far (ignore the boiler fittings I was just trying out various bits I have to see what might work):

204857015_20210401_1940232.jpg.afb2e96a700705f9315cf0bac42e84d0.jpg

The smokebox has a piece of tube inside, then a nickel silver wrapper, and then the overlay. I have a Raithby 8F etch from which I could take the plain smokebox ring as it's about the right size, but I've yet to decide whether to use it or try something else.

Simon

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Mine has stalled, as has most modelling at the moment, due to me having back issues, but I've got this far (ignore the boiler fittings I was just trying out various bits I have to see what might work):

The smokebox has a piece of tube inside, then a nickel silver wrapper, and then the overlay. I have a Raithby 8F etch from which I could take the plain smokebox ring as it's about the right size, but I've yet to decide whether to use it or try something else.

Simon

Hi Simón 

Is the boiler tube tapered, if so how did you do it. Also does the Rathby etch have an etched boiler and firebox. 

Your model is looking rather nice 

John 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi Simón 

Is the boiler tube tapered, if so how did you do it. Also does the Rathby etch have an etched boiler and firebox. 

John 

Hi John,

Have a look at my Princess instructions - basically one length of tube with a short length of the next size up tube at the firebox end so you get the cone shape for the boiler wrapper. You may need to add some shim round the short tube to get the right diameter at the firebox end. Its also worth trying to tapper the short tube towards the smokebox end so that the wrapper is in contact along all of the short tube, not just the front edge.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Simon

Hi Simon,

looks good so far. May be you know but just in case, its worth opening out the steam pipe holes before you fix the smokebox etc to the footplate as it makes fitting the steam pipe at the correct angle a lot easier. I found I had to file the hole at quite a sharp angle to get the pipe to fit inside the smokebox.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Nig H said:

Hi Simon,

looks good so far. May be you know but just in case, its worth opening out the steam pipe holes before you fix the smokebox etc to the footplate as it makes fitting the steam pipe at the correct angle a lot easier. I found I had to file the hole at quite a sharp angle to get the pipe to fit inside the smokebox.

Nigel Hunt

Thanks Nigel.

I hadn't even worked out how to make them yet so that's a really welcome tip to make fitting things easier.

Simon

Edited by 65179

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi Simón 

John 

Hi John,

I rolled my own cut from brass using a template my brother drew up.  I make no promises it will be spot on (it's based on my interpretation of the available 8F boiler clothing drawings), but it's not far off. From memory if you are generous in cutting out so that the effective diameter produced is just a bit larger than the template then you'll get a better fit at the smokebox end.

The Raithby 8F does have an etched smokebox, boiler and firebox, but its dimensions are different so a Raithby boiler can't be used as a straight swap for the cast one. That was my plan A!

Simon

Taper_Boiler-2.pdf

• RMweb Premium

I rolled up a Raithby etched 8F boiler barrel to see what it was like. That had been my Plan A (I think?) as well.

It came out as a section of a true cone, which is not quite right. It needs to be oblique.

The bottom of the boiler should be horizontal - it is quite noticeable in photos of 8Fs taken side-on, because the boiler bottom is just above the top of the frames.

I think Peter Whitehead and David Eveleigh had an article in the Magazine many years ago about turning such a shape form solid brass for a Great Western engine.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Hi John,

I rolled my own cut from brass using a template my brother drew up.  I make no promises it will be spot on (it's based on my interpretation of the available 8F boiler clothing drawings), but it's not far off. From memory if you are generous in cutting out so that the effective diameter produced is just a bit larger than the template then you'll get a better fit at the smokebox end.

The Raithby 8F does have an etched smokebox, boiler and firebox, but its dimensions are different so a Raithby boiler can't be used as a straight swap for the cast one. That was my plan A!

Simon

Taper_Boiler-2.pdf 1.38 kB · 0 downloads

The turned smokebox ring Nigel Hunt does for the Black 5 should also suit an 8F (see http://2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/nigelhunt/). Combined with the lost wax casting of the smokebox door, and the etched wrapper, I think that is enough to complete the smokebox?

I got halfway through doing the artwork for a 3D print of the 8F boiler, but never got it finished.

Chris

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Chris Higgs said:

The turned smokebox ring Nigel Hunt does for the Black 5 should also suit an 8F (see http://2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/nigelhunt/). Combined with the lost wax casting of the smokebox door, and the etched wrapper, I think that is enough to complete the smokebox?

I got halfway through doing the artwork for a 3D print of the 8F boiler, but never got it finished.

Chris

Chris

Nigel's smokebox ring is too large a diameter for the 8F Chris.

Simon

6 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Nigel's smokebox ring is too large a diameter for the 8F Chris.

Simon

Why? An 8F boiler is pretty much identical to a Black 5 except being shorter. And as what you have as a casting for the 8F is a Black 5 boiler sliced up, I'm not totally clear how the ring would not fit it.

Both smokeboxes are 5'4 3/4" in diameter.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Chris Higgs said:

Why? An 8F boiler is pretty much identical to a Black 5 except being shorter. And as what you have as a casting for the 8F is a Black 5 boiler sliced up, I'm not totally clear how the ring would not fit it.

Both smokeboxes are 5'4 3/4" in diameter.

Chris

Because in practice the etched ring is a larger diameter than that. As seem to be the ends of at least some of the B5 castings. My digital caliper display has just started going haywire so I can't provide detailed dimensions.

Simon

1 hour ago, 65179 said:

Because in practice the etched ring is a larger diameter than that. As seem to be the ends of at least some of the B5 castings. My digital caliper display has just started going haywire so I can't provide detailed dimensions.

Simon

Well, if the turned ring is correct then it should be possible to remove a slice from the etched wrapper to reduce it to the correct diameter.

I have a large bag containing leftovers of Balck 5/8F cast boilers and the smokeboxes have average diameters hovering around 11mm. So a little bit too large, I say average as they are not totally circular. But that is casting for you.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

On 29/07/2021 at 08:36, nebnoswal said:

And this is what I like/love about this forum.  I've just about finished my 3D printed S+DJR cattle wagons and now need numbers for them.  As much as I would like to purchase The Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway Locomotive and Rolling Stock Registers 1886 – 1930, and its only 8 pounds, the postage to downunder of 21 pounds is the killer!  Just as I was about to the ask a question on numbers, it magically appears here.  Thank-you Stephen, much appreciated. 

SDJR cattle wagons.jpeg

They look nice !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrSimon said:

The 8Fs are looking really good - which kit are they?

Many thanks 

Simon

It is my 8F kit for the loco. Which was done as a limited edition quite a few years ago now.

The tender is the Bob Jones one available from the Association shop.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

Well, if the turned ring is correct then it should be possible to remove a slice from the etched wrapper to reduce it to the correct diameter.

Chris

We are talking at cross-purposes Chris. The front rings for the smokebox are etched. Your wrapper is the right size. The etched front ring is too large for the wrapper, but is intended to match the cast boiler.

Simon

On 01/08/2021 at 20:18, Nick Mitchell said:

I rolled up a Raithby etched 8F boiler barrel to see what it was like. That had been my Plan A (I think?) as well.

It came out as a section of a true cone, which is not quite right. It needs to be oblique.

The bottom of the boiler should be horizontal - it is quite noticeable in photos of 8Fs taken side-on, because the boiler bottom is just above the top of the frames.

I think Peter Whitehead and David Eveleigh had an article in the Magazine many years ago about turning such a shape form solid brass for a Great Western engine.

iirc David turned a cone on the lathe and then bent the coned part around the headstock and then carefully sawed/parted it off at the correct positions relative to the diameter. (Turning a cone in the lathe is straightforward for any with a taper top slide who has a clue what they are doing, although the taper is not much.) When I attempted the same for myself I went about the turning in the same manner but fashioned a way of clamping the fustrum in the mill to finish the ends in the correct alignment. It seemed to me a much safer route than working with an out of balance workpiece in my small lathe.