Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Very nice Nigel.  What are the wagons?

Thanks Kevin.

1) is scratchbuilt

2) is my own etch. Nick Mitchell did an article about building it and correcting the W-iron errors.

3) is a shot down from 4mm etch

4) is a David Eveleigh 2mm kit.

Is there anything else you wanted to know about them?

Nigel Hunt

Hi Nigel.  

Well diagram and railway company stuff - the 6 wheeler and the weltrol caught the eye particularly as I like the interesting and different but I am trying not to have a significant number of interesting and different wagons as they tended to be uncommon.  However, since it appears I can justify over 100 bog standard coal wagons (I've a picture with that number in the yard at one time at St Albans) I also figure I can have a reasonable number of interesting and different turning up on special deliveries without having too high a percentage (since I am pretty sure I'll need quite few bog standard opens and vans for less than wagon load work as well).

Cheers

Kevin

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sithlord75 said:

Hi Nigel.  

Well diagram and railway company stuff - the 6 wheeler and the weltrol caught the eye particularly as I like the interesting and different but I am trying not to have a significant number of interesting and different wagons as they tended to be uncommon.  However, since it appears I can justify over 100 bog standard coal wagons (I've a picture with that number in the yard at one time at St Albans) I also figure I can have a reasonable number of interesting and different turning up on special deliveries without having too high a percentage (since I am pretty sure I'll need quite few bog standard opens and vans for less than wagon load work as well).

Cheers

Kevin

The wagon info is below the pictures in Nigel's original post Kevin.

Regards,

Simon

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 65179 said:

The wagon info is below the pictures in Nigel's original post Kevin.

Regards,

Simon

Thanks Simon - seems to be a glitch at my end as in I didn't notice (I'm blaming the marking and reporting season currently in full swing at work as we wind up the school year)!  Must read the whole post :blush:

I think I could jag the possibility of the L&Y 6 wheeler turning up loaded; funnily enough Nick was showing us his LMS long low at the ZAG but with four or five Chivers examples on etched chassis that'll do for now; the LNWR wagon is probably a bit hard to justify, even on a LNWR layout (although the types of wagons which ended up at gasworks seems to be increasing every time I go looking) and the brakevan would be very unlikely to be that far off country.  Still a very nice eclectic selection of wagons potentially being trip worked from one yard to another for onwards sorting.  

Hello all, this is my first post here. It's not quite as impressive as some of the works I've seen on this thread over the last wee while I've been lurking and watching the forum.  I've spent part of the weekend attempting to make a Caledonian Railway Diagram 67 externally framed goods van with a generic etched chassis (2-329 from the Association) plastikard and strut. The below is the fifth or sixth iteration and I'm quite happy how it's turned out (eventually).

It's not perfect, but I think an appointment with some liquid green stuff (a secret weapon in a lot of my modelling) and a coat or two of paint will hide most of the sins. It's also my first attempt at scratch building a wagon in any scale - I've made about two dozen BR mineral wagons and a couple of brake vans from Association parts, and have a large collection of Parkside kits in OO, but decided to dip my toe into the pre-grouping era in 2mm.  Hopefully this is the first of many CR wagons on a wee project I've got in mind.

20211128_232414.jpg

20211128_232409.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

While the N7/3 is going through the paint shop I've got around to making another Farish bodied/2FS etched chassis 08 to replace the green livery one which just had it's wheels machined to 2FS. The body came from BRlines.

157992487_RMweb11.jpg.a1a10595178877d141f711983267fdb8.jpg

This is the older one it replaces.

1989456564_RMweb10.jpg.9c67d54904083ddb7b4dcc47b6ec740f.jpg

This has now had it's original N gauge wheels re-fitted along with couplings ready for disposal. There is quite a difference between it in this form and the 2FS replacement. Somehow the etched chassis seems to make the Farish body look better, an optical illusion I'm sure but makes the effort worthwhile I feel.

1406375643_RMweb12.jpg.940cc2784f488dd1fae940ab8bb9e06b.jpg

Bob

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That's my first Caley Diagram 67 covered van finished. I'm on much more familiar ground with painting, weathering and using transfers having been a wargamer for over 20 years through a few genres (see the Waterloo French Line infantry slightly out of focus behind the wagon). This one's not perfect, I've spotted a few things I've not got quite right, but for a first attempt I'm happy(ish). I've quite enjoyed the process, it's something very new for me, so I think a few more vans might be forthcoming.

I'm due to collect some etches from Jim at next weekend's Forth and Clyde Area Group, so I think that means I'm committing to the Caledonian as a project. I suppose that means I'm going to have to start thinking about a locomotive to haul them and a railway to run it all on...

20211204_185113.jpg

20211204_185118.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

23 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

If I ever need to take the wheels out of the chassis it will be a complete disaster / rebuild situation in any case, so needing to unsolder the cylinders will be the least of my worries.

How do you plan to paint the chassis?

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

How do you plan to paint the chassis?

Well, I already painted part of the chassis (the bit behind the wheels), and the wheels themselves, before installing them. A lot of the paint had to be scraped away to solder the brake gear / sanding gear in place after fitting the wheels. The brakes etc. preclude the use of the quartering tool, and also trap the wheels.

Some more of the paint has come away with repeated handling and washing, but I should be able to touch it in behind the wheels with a brush, being careful to avoid gunging up the bearings.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2021 at 23:53, Nick Mitchell said:

I've made a bit more progress with the valve gear over the last few days.

I turned some valve-chest covers on my lathe. The front ones have a little locating spigot on the rear face, and the rear ones are designed to slide over the tube used as the valve spindle support. Sorry the picture is not quite in focus. These things are only 2.2mm across!

20211211_223101.jpg.e6facbf36b949d107b728b95fbd7c5dd.jpg

Here they are fitted to the cylinder block (along with the front cylinder covers):

20211211_223015.jpg.1ac5ec655093930ae9951efd3571e688.jpg

The valve gear had to be threaded through the motion bracket before final assembly, making the final pivot joints quite tricky.

20211209_203520.jpg.579d62129679da9fd38d02074f7d6466.jpg

Once the motion bracket and slide bars are soldered together (in-situ on the loco to get the alignment right), everything becomes much more rigid, and the pistons/crossheads are trapped. This really the point of no return, everything having been carefully checked for clearances and smooth operation while it was all loosely fitted together.

20211212_170522.jpg.49bd0cb9fb3bb2d7cc7a9f114901744a.jpg

I decided to solder the cylinders and motion bracket to the main frames then cut a gap in them. In the past I have soldered gapped PCB to these parts to keep them as a removable unit, but I usually end up soldering them to the frames anyway. If I ever need to take the wheels out of the chassis it will be a complete disaster / rebuild situation in any case, so needing to unsolder the cylinders will be the least of my worries.

20211214_100253.jpg.f14c884fd515cdf7ad5ca1c013d83510.jpg

The gap in the motion bracket had to be nibbled away with cutters. The cylinder block was cur through with a piercing saw.

20211214_095822.jpg.478039af1c826ee748cf81749e7958a1.jpg

I did have one issue manifest itself with the gear wheel rotating on the rear axle muff. It was never a tight fit when I assembled it, but I thought wen i inserted the wheels into the muffs, they would expand and grip the gear. in this case, i was wrong. i fixed it by drilling a couple of small holes diagonally into the muff and gear, and fitting a "key" of Araldite. The picture below is before the Araldite was added.

20211214_100023.jpg.50f56549e50974a869da50c17789f95b.jpg

I also had an issue with the wheels going out of quarter. This muff is seriously dodgy!

I use the Association quartering tool to set things up initially, but if i ever encounter a subsequent issue, re-quartering is fairly straightforward. I use an "optical alignment" method, similar to looking through the spokes, but easier.

A dot of ink form a fine-tip indelible marker on the outside of the wheel flange on one side, and a matching dot on the inside of the opposite flange can be lined up easily by eye. The dots are in line with a chosen spoke. You can just about make out the remains of my dots in the picture below, at the very bottom of the wheels:

20211214_100511.jpg.09c58b6a8414082a180548c1edf6d7d2.jpg

Clearances between the moving parts are virtually non-existent - like on the real things. Everything has been carefully checked to make sure nothing catches.

20211214_095919.jpg.16c2d5bef7ab73ce9e912340044712f1.jpg

With the body looslely placed on top, she's really startingggg GB gy The is the  to look the business:

20211214_101201.jpg.cb4bb2496372b564458e1458d3028069.jpg

The lifting arms for the radius rods still need to be fitted, as to the valve spindle crosshead guides. Both will be cosmetic. I think I will fit the latter to the body rather than the chassis.

20211214_101516.jpg.9edb7ed0cca16a25f56eb772c8e0de96.jpg

After all that work - does the valve gear function?

Trffu

Its been a few years, but Im enjoying dusting off the dust of the tool kit and soldering iron and a return to modelling which looks like settling on 2mmfs. I've been busy in the Wagon works and very pleased with how the ex GW brake van etch is turning out. I'm thinking about a 1980's project so took a bit of license with this brake van as a potential departmental vehicle - lets say it had modifications over the years......

But onwards and upwards, its certainly given me the desire and satisfaction to carry on...

best wishes

Michael

IMG_0176.pdf IMG_0178.pdf

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wotan said:

... I've been busy in the Wagon works and very pleased with how the ex GW brake van etch is turning out. I'm thinking about a 1980's project so took a bit of license with this brake van as a potential departmental vehicle - lets say it had modifications over the years......

Not a lot of license needed. Here's one in 1987 (Simon Beeston Flickr image):

BEVERLEY 120487 37032

Simon

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Not quite on my workbench, but heading there.

I sent a file of artwork to PPD a week past on Friday (10th).  Quote came on Monday with estimated delivery 3-4 weeks from receipt of payment.  Paid it on Monday, got an email from them yesterday to say it had been dispatched and this arrived this morning!  How's that for service!:D

2095636271_PPDSheet12.JPG.000ea14bac6db1f468ac33398e0ecde2.JPG

The bulk of it is some of my wagon kits for a member of our Area group.  Along the top are parts for a CR Lambie 294 class 'Jumbo', while down the left hand side and at the bottom are those for the loco and tender chassis for a 417 class 2-4-0 as rebuilt by Drummond (I have body work etches for this from the late John Boyle's artwork).  Near the bottom left corner are trial etches for an early dumb buffered 6T pig iron wagon and the later Dia. 16 8T version, along with three hurdles, the latter handy to fill up the space!

I'm currently doing some maintenance work on the layout and rolling stock, so it will be a few days before I start on any of these.  In any case, I won't be able to get hold of wheels, gears, etc. for the locos until Shop 3 re-opens under the new shopkeeper.

Jim

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 18/12/2021 at 15:40, Caley Jim said:

Near the bottom left corner are trial etches for an early dumb buffered 6T pig iron wagon and the later Dia. 16 8T version, 

Having sorted out some issues on Kirkallanmuir (faulty soldered joints and adjusting a couple of memory wire TOU's), the last few evenings have seen the construction of the trial etches for these two wagons.

First up was the Dia 16, which uses the same underframe as the Dia 24 open and Dia 15 drop-side wagons and is basically a 1-plank version of the latter.

621077638_Dia16etch.JPG.c174bd1784e53394f7df593ac80026b0.JPG

The earlier 6T dumb buffered wagon uses the same underframe as the mineral 'bogies', but with 'splayed' rather than vertical tops to the outside W-hangers.   As some of you will be aware, I have rather a soft spot for dumb buffered wagons! 

756065625_6TPigironetch.JPG.99573e44350909a278c5ac7efd817a5f.JPG

A comparison of the two wagons.

722882133_Pigironetches.JPG.6ad442400a398315e4fdf03f6e1f182c.JPG

Must fix that slightly wonky buffer on the Dia 16! :(

My justification for a train of these on Kirkallanmuir is that, in my fiction, the Wilsontown Ironworks did not close down in 1842, but managed to stagger on until the railway came later that decade, so reviving its fortunes.

Hope you all have as happy and enjoyable Christmas as is possible in the continuing uncertainty.

Jim

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Having sorted out some issues on Kirkallanmuir (faulty soldered joints and adjusting a couple of memory wire TOU's), the last few evenings have seen the construction of the trial etches for these two wagons.

First up was the Dia 16, which uses the same underframe as the Dia 24 open and Dia 15 drop-side wagons and is basically a 1-plank version of the latter.

621077638_Dia16etch.JPG.c174bd1784e53394f7df593ac80026b0.JPG

The earlier 6T dumb buffered wagon uses the same underframe as the mineral 'bogies', but with 'splayed' rather than vertical tops to the outside W-hangers.   As some of you will be aware, I have rather a soft spot for dumb buffered wagons! 

756065625_6TPigironetch.JPG.99573e44350909a278c5ac7efd817a5f.JPG

A comparison of the two wagons.

722882133_Pigironetches.JPG.6ad442400a398315e4fdf03f6e1f182c.JPG

Must fix that slightly wonky buffer on the Dia 16! :(

My justification for a train of these on Kirkallanmuir is that, in my fiction, the Wilsontown Ironworks did not close down in 1842, but managed to stagger on until the railway came later that decade, so reviving its fortunes.

Hope you all have as happy and enjoyable Christmas as is possible in the continuing uncertainty.

Jim

Excellent stuff Jim, more distinctive Cally wagons.

merry Christmas one and all 

Jerry

IMG_3206.JPG.262bd7222e228b5c5ba615aaa6fdc9ed.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1