Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

just need to tidy up in a few places find some way of replicating the finial

There're a couple of small lathes here if you need to use one. Or I'll turn a finial for you if you provide the dimensions. It will be more awkward if it's one of those that is hollow with slits but I have one idea how they might be achieved.

My real workbench will trump anyone elses for clutter.

I think I might come close.

At the moment I'm trying to get back to building many bogies for Masterclass toplight kits. They're really not worth a picture yet. I have spent all my spare time of late painting fitting skirting board and completely redecorating the hallway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There're a couple of small lathes here if you need to use one. Or I'll turn a finial for you if you provide the dimensions. It will be more awkward if it's one of those that is hollow with slits but I have one idea how they might be achieved.

Hi Rich, thanks for the offer, much appreciated! Unfortunately (or should that be typically?!) the finials at Ropley are all of the fancy hollow type like this:

post-1467-0-11033200-1356033413.jpg

I've a couple of thoughts on how to make these, but I'm not sure how practical they are given the small size so very interested to hear your thoughts (or indeed anyone elses!) on the subject!

Thanks again,

Tom.

Edited by TomE

I have one in my garage if you need to take any measurements Tom, it's from Bracknell but they're more or less standard LSWR design I believe.

Let me know and I'll dig it out.

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 1

I reckon the finials would be printable,albeit in a slightly caricatured fashion....

If you can do lamp handles (admittedly before sneezing and breaking them off....)

post-1601-0-55599500-1356041333.jpg

PS... the latest installment in the '813' saga is on the way!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have one in my garage if you need to take any measurements Tom, it's from Bracknell but they're more or less standard LSWR design I believe.

Let me know and I'll dig it out.

Pix

The height from base to tip would be very handy if possible?

Cheers Pix,

3D printing is a possibilty Will, but I have a plan A which i'll test out tomorrow.

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Almost there with my Jinty chassis. Pics below show the chassis complete apart from balance weights (now done) and front DG, and painting (should be fun). I expected to find a short after I cut the wires connecting the brake hangers on each side of the chassis, but I was lucky - no shorts at all. Running and pickup seem good, might need a tweak but I am pleased with the result so far.

post-12813-0-71686500-1356103593_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-23203300-1356103638_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-40801400-1356103673_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Fantastic Nigel!

That looks like a very well built chassis. I noticed that the photos are titled Bill Bedford Chassis, I didnt realise he was selling 2mm stuff still or am I mistaken?

The motor is an interesting choice too, how does it perform so far?

Missy :)

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic Nigel!

That looks like a very well built chassis. I noticed that the photos are titled Bill Bedford Chassis, I didnt realise he was selling 2mm stuff still or am I mistaken?

Thanks Julia.

I bought the etch many years ago - it hasn't been listed for ages.

The frames started as a single fold-up unit but the spacing was only 5.5mm so I separated them and used my normal spacer method of pcb pads and my own etched spacers. You can see from the number of holes in them that I was unsure where the holes for the body fixing screws needed to go. The etch doesn't appear to have been designed specifically for 2mm and this created one or two problems as mentioned in my first post. Also the guard irons are soldered inside the frames, on top of or very close to the pcb pads, so I had to be careful I didn't get a short between the spacers and the frames.

The Nigel Lawton motor is working out OK so far. The top speed, what with the 30:1 gearing is high, but you can use the contoller to deal with that. Slow running is good, and I think fine for actual operating conditions. It will be interesting to see how the loco performs with a decoder fitted.

Nigel H

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic Nigel!

Mr Bedford supplied me with a couple of very fine 2 Bil etches a couple of weeks ago afaik all his 2mm etches are still available to order

Excellent modelling by everyone I had a feeling this thread had legs :O

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nigel.

That 3F is looking fantastic, top job!

I've had a go at making the finial for the top of the signal this evening. By putting a V shaped kink into 4 pieces of .31mm wire, then sanding them flat a little before soldering them together, we have a rough approximation of the real thing. The shape isn't 100%, and its perhaps a little on the large side, but its about as close as I think I'm going to get and doesn't look bad from a distance!

post-1467-0-22434400-1356123768.jpg

Excuse the Blu-Tack blob, that's temporary!!

Tom.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nigel.

That 3F is looking fantastic, top job!

I've had a go at making the finial for the top of the signal this evening. By putting a V shaped kink into 4 pieces of .31mm wire, then sanding them flat a little before soldering them together, we have a rough approximation of the real thing. The shape isn't 100%, and its perhaps a little on the large side, but its about as close as I think I'm going to get and doesn't look bad from a distance!

Tom.

Brilliant Tom. I shall unashamedly steal that idea>

Jerry

• Like 1

The Nigel Lawton motor is working out OK so far. The top speed, what with the 30:1 gearing is high, but you can use the contoller to deal with that. Slow running is good, and I think fine for actual operating conditions. It will be interesting to see how the loco performs with a decoder fitted.

The small motor does have the lovely quality of fitting between the frames. But I remember from the thread on my etched chassis that someone observed the cheap and cheerful Lawton motors do not stand up very well to the end thrust imparted by a worm drive. So I will be interested to see if it lasts.

Chris

Hello.

I havent been upto much recently really. To be honest I have been through a bit of a modelling crisis of confidence where I have been struggling to get anything built and just scrapping lots instead. It has dented my confidence in my modelling abilities which is very frustrating.

Things havent stopped though, spurred on by another test etch through the post..

post-2065-0-70438200-1356193484.jpg

...where I got another load of goodies I spent some time today and got a little more done on the Peckett...

post-2065-0-09636400-1356193471.jpg

I finally managed to get a crosshead thingy together and ended up with what you see above. I have only managed to get one side done so far plus I need to tweak the coupling rod cranks as the tolerances between them and the crosshead are somewhat fine!

Missy :O

EDIT: Thats not the final colour, its just a bit of blackening to help with the final painting when it gets done. I know it looks a bit tatty right now but its very much work in progress...

Edited by -missy-
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

EDIT: Thats not the final colour, its just a bit of blackening to help with the final painting when it gets done. I know it looks a bit tatty right now but its very much work in progress...

You know that's actually a really nice weathered effect as it is, if you're looking to do a work weary little engine! I also think you are the last person that should be doubting their modelling abilities!

Edit:

I had a second go at the base for the Down Inner Home this afternoon. The first one shown above was a little too tall, so I started from scratch and have now done both sides:

post-1467-0-51175900-1356196902.jpg

I've also found that since the photo of the prototype above was taken, the inner post has been raised in height to match the outer. Glad I discovered that before doing the offset heights!!

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve. Think i'll pass on the somersaults :acute:

This evening I have soldered in place the walkway supports, and soldered up the first lattice. Not shown here but also made up are the balance weight and crank for the base of the post. I need to give a bit more thought to how this one is going to operate as there isn't alot of room on these short posts!

post-1467-0-69032700-1356289095.jpg

Tom.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Now I'm able to post again will just say what great stuff this thread is throwing up. 

Julia, the Peckett looks fantastic, any chance of a shot with the body sat on top so we can get the full effect.

Tom, equally that signal looks a cracker. Alan beat me to the comment about the quick sand - it does seem rather vertically challenged!

I'm still pursuing my 'get some things finished before starting anything else' campaign, successfully so far - pictures over the next few days. I predict it will last until I pick up my etches from Missy!!

Jerry

Edited by queensquare