Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Well, it's been a while since I posted anything of any substance on here, but thanks to a good friend, I recently got an opportunity to dip my toe in the water and try some etch design. I picked up the resulting shiny bits of metal on Christmas Eve, and a couple of hours work on Monday night and tonight (also the first meaningful bit of modelling in months!) has resulted in this;

post-8055-0-90179800-1356639163.jpg

(post edited to include better picture)

It's a North Eastern Railway single bolster wagon - picked as a subject because I had a good quality drawing of one and as a wagon it contained all the elements I wanted to have a go at designing without being too complicated. At the moment it's missing a few bits (like the end stanchions and bolster!) but I'm reasonably happy with how the parts have gone together, and have now got some idea of what works and what doesn't...

It's twin brother should appear shortly, and I'll try to post some piccies of the other bits on the etch as I work through them.

post-8055-0-07692800-1356639176.jpg

Lastly but by no means least, a big thank you to Julia for doing all the legwork in getting the CAD drawing turning into a very impressive-looking etch.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 15

That is absolutely superb Andy!

What makes it even better is the fact it was your first ever attempt at etching, your success rate was far better than my first attempt. Use it as a stepping stone to other things, I cant wait to see more stuff from you in the future.

You should be proud of that one...

Missy :)

• Like 2

I think I need a bit of a tidy-up...

post-1605-0-73380200-1356611555_thumb.jpg

My Lowmacs and new replacement underframes are ready for test etch. I'm going to send them to PPD as my normal etchers PEC are very slow at the moment, more than two months from placing my last order and still waiting. Otherwise I would have some items to post on here.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Gold

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Chris Higgs" data-cid="890660" data-time="1356611701">

I think I need a bit of a tidy-up...Doesn't look too bad to me - I can just about see the required six square inches of space in front of the chair!!Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 27/12/2012 at 12:35, Chris Higgs said:

I think I need a bit of a tidy-up...

attachicon.gifDSCF7857.JPG

Chris

Obviously a single man if not your SOH must be something very special :angel:

Some work on the rail car(s) now stalled as lost 7 handrail knobs trying to fit them to the carpet monster :banghead:    now

awaiting a resupply.

Mighty Mo's (D48) nameplates arrived from Narrow planet given the paint loads of time to harden on it whole

6mm x 1 mm length to much Gin and wine to fit the chip over the last few days

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 1

<quote>Obviously a single man if not your SOH must be something very special :angel:</quote>

Nope, married with 5 children. Just a very large house - the rest of which is much tidier. The only thing Jane cares about on the work bench is that it is available for repairing watches, jewellery etc as and when required. The RSU has proved a particular hit in that regard.

That is just the model workbench BTW. There is a much larger workshop with the real men's tools such as saws and lathes. Sadly no tidier though.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Events over December and the New Year have conspired to limit my modelling and posts on my blog.

On the occasions that I've managed to sit down to do some modelling, I've been trying to get a bit more done on Brafferton before the St Albans show which is next weekend.

As far as motive power is concerned, I managed to get the blue 108 rewheeled and chipped, and also found time to dig out my old J94 for a review. This old girl was a mainstay on Masham back who-knows-when. I discovered that the Mashima can motor had imploded whilst looking at ways of adding a DCC chip. By using an Association can motor, I created a bit more headroom to squeeze a chip in.

J94 Scratchbuilt Chassis 2FS

The loco herself is looking a bit worn and down at heel, but she can still pull a train and provide a bit more variety on Brafferton. A new set of numbers and a light weathering should make her feel a bit better pending a full refurbishment. Sometime...

J94 2FS Conversion

Edited by Tony Simms
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've now finished my Jinty chassis, as shown below. Electrical pick-up is good, although the running is not spot on at slow speeds. Maybe this is down to opening out the sprung wheel bearings more than the recommended 1.6mm without also opening out the coupling rod crankpin holes 'a bit more'. I'll try opening out the coupling rod holes when I have some time, and see what the result is.

Nigel H

post-12813-0-77005000-1357559584_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work on the 3F Nigel, it looks superb!

This afternoon I've done a little more work on the Down Inner Home 'vertically challenged' signal for Ropley. All a bit fiddly given the close proximity of all the bits but somehow it all still seems to work ok!

post-1467-0-96024200-1357580322.jpg

I've run out of lattice posts so awaiting a fresh supply before the next post is started.

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Lovely work on the 3F Nigel, it looks superb!

This afternoon I've done a little more work on the Down Inner Home 'vertically challenged' signal for Ropley. All a bit fiddly given the close proximity of all the bits but somehow it all still seems to work ok!

attachicon.gifsig4.jpg

I've run out of lattice posts so awaiting a fresh supply before the next post is started.

Tom.

Tom

are they going to be working if so how I have tested the merg servo with bounce and it is very good if fiddly to set up interested to see if there is an alternative    :senile:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick.

Thats the plan! I would like some way of controlling them via my DCC handset and I'm not sure if the MERG controller will allow that? I know the GF controls servo controller doesn't. One option might be to use Cobalt motors mounted on their side, but then I'd loose the realistic movement.

Tom.

I know the MERG unit can be controlled via a DCC handset but dont ask me how (I only know because of the clubs layout as it has them)

I am planning on using the MERG sevo controllers with the bounce bit so when you figure out how to link them up let me know!

Missy :)

Well Christmas came and went, and I'm afraid that I didn't do anything to the 3D Printed Cattle Wagon and Brake Van as I intended...

However, I have made a good start to my first 2mm loco!!

Jerry of this parish kindly donated a Graham Farish 57xx body to me last year with a view to me converting it to an 1854 Class Saddle Tank engine that will be more suited to my proposed 1905/6 period a la John Birket-Smith's 1501 class : http://www.small-but-perfectly-formed.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/locomotives.html (about three quarters down the page).

I have therefore been making up the 2mm Association 57xx chassis that I bought at the AGM which I intend fitting with a Nigel Lawton Mini Motor.

The Grafar body has had the chimney, dome and safety valve removed and the pannier top filed flat to which a slab of nickel silver sheet (2 x 0.028" + 1 x 0.010") was araldited to it.  The resulant lump has been carefully ground, filed and sanded to a shape which I hope represents the correct profile.  Before this was done I shortened the length of the Panniers by about 1mm to suit the shorter saddle.

Grafar 57xx Pannier Tank

Saddle Tank Formed 3

Saddle Tank Formed 2

Saddle Tank Formed 1

The cab and bunker will be replaced with an open cab version made from 0.010" sheet.  The splasher tops need neatening up (but I need to grind down an old needle file first to get in the gap).

Ian

• Like 9

This is the latest signal for St Ruth which has been on my bench for a little while - the departure platform starter and my first bracket signal.

Over Christmas I drilled a socking great 10mm hole just off the platform end followed by fettling the servo drive in situ

Tonight's job was to wire up the (LED) lights (fed via the ladder and top deck of the platform) and see if they worked. Thankfully they did  :sungum:

This has proved to be a rather tricky issue because of the use of 0.4mm PCB for the decking - it's very difficult to keep this fully insulating when flux is around... I really need to get some 0.7mm stuff for the next one.

Remaining jobs are to tidy up the messy wires, finish the railings, add finials and then paint the whole lot.

The whole thing splits in two at the bracket truss to allow removal of all of the moving parts for painting

post-9623-0-89201800-1357597587_thumb.jpg

BTW, the background is NOT St Ruth!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Terrific Andy

Can you just remind me, is that all MSE parts plus your own tubes/posts?

Are you warming up for a gantry next? :D

Edited by bcnPete

Terrific Andy. Can you just remind me, is that all MSE parts plus your own tubes/posts?

Yes - MSE arms, balance weights, truss and ladder. Strangely if you use the MSE bracket etch then you find that the the MSE balance weights are too long and overlap each other so I've had to shorten them. :nea:

The main post is K&S tube (with the signal wires inside) and the dolls are 1mm rod.

Are you warming up for a gantry next? :D

(in Churchill the dog voice)... err... noooo.

No gantries needed for St Ruth. Next on the list is probably a 3 doll bracket (using my own etch for the truss) but the signal with the most drive wires is already done - the down main home and call on with 3 slide mechanical route indicator. I'll be admitting defeat with the branch home - this will have a WR electrical route indicator like the home signal installed at Penzance circa 1960.

Regards, Andy

Last night I reassembled the PECO 2251 body after stuffing the boiler and as much of the firebox as the replacement chassis allows with tightly wound/folded lead sheet and cut more plastic away from the Ixion tender body and under frame to allow the motor to fit. I gave some consideration to re-using the original motor but it has disappeared since I removed it and the Mashima flat can will allow the coal space to be modelled slightly less full due to it's smaller size. This engine should be able to move under it's own power soon. That is if I can resist any more 'improvements' to the bodies as I go along!

• Like 1

BTW, the background is NOT St Ruth!

Newton Abbot?

I am interested to see signals being built. I am looking to get the 2mm Association Handbook revived over the next year or so, and need some people to make contributions to the signals chapter - all those whose work is in the last (4th) edition are now dead.

Chris