Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Trying to work out how to build the 2mm scale etches I picked-up at the Ally Pally show from BH Enterprises - I'm determined that they won't lurk in the gloat box for ever! They're remaining stock from some that David Lidgate (ex-Kestral/Kestrel Models) got shot down from Jidenco kits many years ago.

First off the stocks will be a LNWR chemical pan trolley and an LMS cement hopper. The LSWR horsebox and LMS prize cattle vans will have to wait for me to design a chassis etch to suit (I have no intention of trying to use the chassis included in the kits!)

Andy

Good luck with those then. Given that the 4mm versions do not always build, it will be a bit of a lottery.

Chris

Good luck with those then. Given that the 4mm versions do not always build, it will be a bit of a lottery.

Chris

True - I was aware of the reputation of the 4mm kits and consequently was fairly careful to try to choose the etches that I thought could be built (though not necessarily easily). The LNWR chemical pan trolley is a case in point - apart from the fold-up floor, there won't be much left of the original etch (at least not in the form it was intended). What scares me is the price that the 4mm etches sell for - when the most expensive 2mm etches are £3-50, I wouldn't be too bothered if I completely screwed one up, but £20 is a different matter!

Andy

True - I was aware of the reputation of the 4mm kits and consequently was fairly careful to try to choose the etches that I thought could be built (though not necessarily easily). The LNWR chemical pan trolley is a case in point - apart from the fold-up floor, there won't be much left of the original etch (at least not in the form it was intended). What scares me is the price that the 4mm etches sell for - when the most expensive 2mm etches are £3-50, I wouldn't be too bothered if I completely screwed one up, but £20 is a different matter!

Andy

I think the £3-50 is a rather cheap price, and probably could not be repeated if the etches were produced from new today. But the area of the etch in 4mm is four times what it is in 2mm, so 14.00 might be a reasonable equivalent price.

Chris

I purchased a couple of items too because they have the potential to yield something different, but mostly due to the very low price. They are 'bin end' type stock and I think the vendor in this case was rather making the prices up?

I think the horse box is the same diagram as the one that is/was available from etched pixels. The latter is likely to be a much nicer etch. Many of the other items were of things that I'm not aware are available at our size without scratch building. Some of the parts are probably fit for the bin as Andy suggested.

I purchased a couple of items too because they have the potential to yield something different, but mostly due to the very low price. They are 'bin end' type stock and I think the vendor in this case was rather making the prices up?

I think the horse box is the same diagram as the one that is/was available from etched pixels. The latter is likely to be a much nicer etch. Many of the other items were of things that I'm not aware are available at our size without scratch building. Some of the parts are probably fit for the bin as Andy suggested.

I believe the prices aren't much different from when these were first made available eons ago. From what Ray told me, he'd been given a box of them after David Lidgate died. According to him, "the 2mm people have been hoovering them up"! Anyway, they're cheap enough to have a play with and see what can be done with them.

The LSWR horsebox is the 21ft version. I believe Alan's horsebox is the 16ft version, so you have a chance to make a mixed rake if you want. The Etched Pixels one is done on 6 thou brass, the Lidgate one is slightly thicker - 8 or 10 thou perhaps? Beware that the Southern 'modernised' these in the 1930s though - the beading was removed and steel sheeting fixed to the sides.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe the prices aren't much different from when these were first made available eons ago. From what Ray told me, he'd been given a box of them after David Lidgate died. According to him, "the 2mm people have been hoovering them up"! Anyway, they're cheap enough to have a play with and see what can be done with them.

Andy

Yes, Pixie and  I did a bit of hoovering at the Southampton show!

As you say cheap enough to have a play with if they are treated as scratch-aids as opposed to kits.

Jerry

• Like 1

The LSWR horsebox is the 21ft version. I believe Alan's horsebox is the 16ft version, so you have a chance to make a mixed rake if you want.

Sadly not. It sounds like you and Jerry bought all the stock he had of this particular fret. I do have a good number of varied horse boxes in construction but currently packed away whilst I work on the layout.

The layout is currently having a rewire. This should be a straightforward join all the red wires to each other and join the blue wires together but I did hit a wall last night when I found blue wires deliberately soldered to red wires when removing the old switches and that didn't make sense so I went to bed.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly not. It sounds like you and Jerry bought all the stock he had of this particular fret. I do have a good number of varied horse boxes in construction but currently packed away whilst I work on the layout.

Can't remember exactly what I got but I don't think I got one of the horse boxes but will have a look later. If I did you can have it Rich as you are much more likely to get it built than I am.

Jerry

The layout is currently having a rewire. This should be a straightforward join all the red wires to each other and join the blue wires together but I did hit a wall last night when I found blue wires deliberately soldered to red wires when removing the old switches and that didn't make sense so I went to bed.

I've only got one. I think Julia hoovered-up a few at Ally Pally. Ray has talked about trying to recreate the artwork for the kits from an existing etch and has kept one of each design back for this reason. I'm not sure that this will work terribly well though - and if you went down the road of new artwork, it would make sense to do a full redesign.

I sometimes wonder what happened to the artwork for the etched horseboxes that I think Nick Dearnley got shot down to 2mm scale?

I spent last night investigating why the loco turntable on Saxted wasn't working. Having photographed the mechanism to aid re-assembly, I stripped it down and managed to release the turntable from the well. Turns out that there was some build-up of gunk (possibly from the flux used to solder the spindle) around the centre bearing which had effectively 'locked' the table in place. It cleaned-up fairly well and was re-assembled, although I need to adjust the track feeds. My class 24 loco is now dizzy from all the testing! Next on the list is the sorting out the uncouplers and tidying-up the controller wiring.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Hi Andy,

I built one of the chemical pan wagons about twenty years ago. Here are some photos - sorry about quality.

post-12813-0-79198600-1365073173_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-86335400-1365073235_thumb.jpg

Looks like I used the old Romford 13mm axle 3 hole wheels. Not sure if that's correct. I can bring it to the meeting if you want a look. The prototype is covered in "British Goods Wagons", I think.

Regards,

Nigel

• Like 6

That's fantastic, Nigel (and proves that the etch is buildable). I'd be very interested to see it if you could bring it to our next meeting.

I've asked my dad to scan the relevant pages of an LNWR wagons book which contains a drawing. He built one in O gauge a good few years ago now from an etched kit (now part of the Gladiator kits range I think).

The bits I've ordered from 2mm Shop 2 should arrive tomorrow so I'll try and make a bit of headway on this over the next few days. I'm looking forward to a quiet weekend having spent at least one day on each of the last three weekends demoing 2mm modelling at exhibitions!

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

Can't remember exactly what I got but I don't think I got one of the horse boxes but will have a look later. If I did you can have it Rich as you are much more likely to get it built than I am.

Jerry

I can't be sure that final statement is true. I have years worth of stuff stashed on the buy it now or regret it forever basis. If it is the same diagram as the ex PC kit I have one of those already (in the piles of stashed stuff). I do like horse boxes and milk trucks so it's likely if would get pushed in the queue.

I've only got one. I think Julia hoovered-up a few at Ally Pally. Ray has talked about trying to recreate the artwork for the kits from an existing etch and has kept one of each design back for this reason. I'm not sure that this will work terribly well though - and if you went down the road of new artwork, it would make sense to do a full redesign.

The two are not mutually exclusive as you can digitize, tidy and import an existing design and then re-work it.

Andy,

A propos turntables, a thought occurs to me. Old hard drives (of which I'm sure we all have many) have beautiful bearings and, with a new cosmetic deck would be fine for 50ft plus turntables. The only thing is, don't use the HDD motor or you will have a very dizzy loco indeed, probably embedded in the wall!

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

disc drives user stepper motors which can be controlled via a Ardunio very nicely although a cheap stepper and controller via that auction site can be had for less than a £5   I've been running some tests and setting the program for one ready for a  James Watt etched TT  I have  stashed away

has Missy  fixed the lock  I assume to 2mm standard which in her case is very high  :no:

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 1

has Missy  fixed the lock  I assume to 2mm standard which in her case is very high  :no:

No :( I cant find anything wrong with the stupid thing although it doesnt like working when I fit it!!!

Anyway, this has been on my PC monitors recently...

post-2065-0-36815900-1365107763.jpg

Missy.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

No :( I cant find anything wrong with the stupid thing although it doesnt like working when I fit it!!!

Missy.

Come on then Julia, what is it!

Jerry

Andy,

A propos turntables, a thought occurs to me. Old hard drives (of which I'm sure we all have many) have beautiful bearings and, with a new cosmetic deck would be fine for 50ft plus turntables. The only thing is, don't use the HDD motor or you will have a very dizzy loco indeed, probably embedded in the wall!

John

Thanks John, The turntable fitted to Saxted is a beautiful piece of work (as you'd expect from Ray who apparently worked as an engineer for Rolls Royce) so I don't really want to fiddle with it too much. I hope that the clean-up I've given it will solve the problem - I didn't get round to adjusting the track feeds tonight, but will hopefully do so on Saturday and will post some photos in the Saxted thread over the weekend.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

• RMweb Gold

Missy.

Sold! Thats just what I need for one of the storage tanks in the Yard....

Tom.

I hate ballasting

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying different techniques, in particular das clay, as I want to get that look where the track has the ground up to the tops of the sleepers, my main issue is the clay congregates around the chair detail and ruins the effect I'm trying to achieve.

In an effort to get round this I thought perhaps poring liquid resin on to the baseboard might do the trick, alas the same thing happens.

Attached is a photo as a sign post to others, still at least I now have an interesting objet d'ar to hang on the wall

post-10866-0-07817000-1365630035_thumb.jpg

• Like 3