Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

To bend up DG loops I've put two hacksaw marks in some tapered smooth jaw pliers. Each mark is where the jaw width is the same as the long or short side of the loop rectangle. It makes quick and accurate bends. 

20210324_211518.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/03/2021 at 21:19, Bryn said:

To bend up DG loops I've put two hacksaw marks in some tapered smooth jaw pliers. Each mark is where the jaw width is the same as the long or short side of the loop rectangle. It makes quick and accurate bends. 

20210324_211518.jpg

That's how I do it but in 4mm the free ends of the loop have to be overlapped and soldered together, otherwise they will pull out with the weight of the train. It might not be needed in 2mm though.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, 117puzzler said:

Hi missy. 

nice work with the gear cutting. Just out of interest where did you obtain your gear cutters/Hobbs?  

Hi Puzzler Guy.

Thank you. I currently have 2 gear hobs I use, both carbide. One came from China via the wish website www.wish.com and the other one came from Russia via ebay.

Missy.

2 hours ago, -missy- said:

Hi Puzzler Guy.

Thank you. I currently have 2 gear hobs I use, both carbide. One came from China via the wish website www.wish.com and the other one came from Russia via ebay.

Missy.

Hey thanks. I’ll have a look. See what’s what. 

cheers

The first of many for Colwyn Bay Goods. A TTB 45T tanker made from the Stephen Harris kit. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/sukclassapickeringtta

Changes has been the addition of correct axlebox and spring combination for my prototype, drawn by myself and printed my Missy on a Phrozen Sonic mini 4k resin printer. The second change was the white plasticard shield for the air brake cylinder.

20210402_174133.jpg

20210321_174413.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

2 hours ago, Bryn said:

The first of many for Colwyn Bay Goods. A TTB 45T tanker made from the Stephen Harris kit.

Nice job. I have had one in the gloat box for ages. Must track down my stock of round tuits.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, D869 said:

Must track down my stock of round tuits.

I thought my stock might have been lurking, buried, in the bottom of a drawer full of unbuilt kits. I recently went through said drawer. They weren’t. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

With completion of another batch of wagons, I feel I have reached a minor milestone. I finally have enough models of rolling stock that actually ran on the Isle of Wight to exhibit the layout. Previously I have run the layout with 16ton steel mineral wagons, BR 12ton standard vans, BR Mk1 suburban coaches and even large diesel locomotives. Initially, the only item of rolling stock that I had that was used on the island was an old Bill Bedford etched LSWR road van on a modified Peco chassis. All the newer stock runs on etched chassis.

The 1909 timetable shows a couple of 'mixed' trains arrived at Freshwater each day. I am not sure if this persisted into the 1930's, but here is my representation of such:

Morning Mixed Train

Terrier number 8 'Freshwater' at the head of the Stroudley set of 4 wheeled coaches, with an ex-LBSCR 8t van carrying passengers' Luggage In Advance' (LIA) to be delivered to the hotels and boarding houses of Totland Bay and Alum Bay ready for the arrival of the holiday makers. A couple of wagons full of coal (one exLBSCR and one exLSWR) should suffice for a summers day and an ex FYN brake van (very similar to the LBSCR design) brings up the rear.

This is all a little early for my chosen time period for the layout 1948-1952, but little had changed after alterations made in 1928.

Coal was the mainstay of goods traffic on the island, and the yard at Freshwater supported two seperate coal merchants. All the coal came to the island by ship, unloaded at the Medina Wharf in later years.

IMG_20210403_162742

Also seen here is a more modern PLV van for mail and LIA. There were many complaints from holiday makers about luggage smelling of fish, which the 8ton vans also transported. Spare coaches were often stabled in the yard to bolster capacity when required. The ex-LBSCR road truck is delivering some new farm equipment.

a major achievement I think (now if only I can trace the short on the track that is alluding me )

Nick B

52 minutes ago, jonas said:

Well, I’ve finally taken the plunge and converted my first loco - thanks to association drop in wheelsets, an absolute doddle!

Awaiting for my easitrac delivery (including a pegged turnout kit) and one of sample packs 16 tonners to have a bash at next!

Nice work. Bash is probaby a good verb for a 16 tonner of this era so good luck with that.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

not a lot left of that Peco kit :D

coming along nicely

Nick B

That's the beauty of kits, the huge time saving... :-)

Looking very good indeed, Julia.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

I’ve printed some of Ian Morgan’s LBSC wagons. Incredible detail and the way the layers peel around the change of sections adds some interesting distressing around the curb rail - side interface. 

Checking in Souther Wagons vol. 2 I decided that those with curved ends need sheet rails. 

2039A985-BC25-4696-BE24-3E921EB3B9D8.jpeg.a18664583c579f18acb349fb050ae7cb.jpeg

Somehow I managed to remove the sprued ends without breaking the very thin sections. 

A5BB5CD5-902E-4CDC-91F9-7D1374FED475.jpeg.6839d954e370885b60a92c501a9a43ac.jpeg

just needs a few spots of something to fix the end details into final alignment and a tarpaulin to hide the entirely prototypical load, which not only locates the end details but also prevents the wagon sides bowing inwards. 

Edited by richbrummitt
tree felled
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

Oh dear - another wagon!  I have had this type on my list for a while as there is a picture of one at St Alban's Abbey (or at least one which looks enough like it to this untutored eye to do) and I had been going to sort drawings to do it myself.  I've dropped Ian an email so hopefully another thing in the digital gloat box waiting for a chassis to turn up etc etc.

I really should spend more time modelling and less time on the internet - it just causes more unmade models!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Almost off the workbench after tonight’s effort is these pair - ex SDJR 10t road van (3D print drawn by @nebnoswalnow in what we think is the most likely LMS livery (2021 build) and the GE cattle wagon (2-536) (2010 build but I finally sorted the lettering!  I need to find where I put my “LARGE”)

FB2EA89F-D159-476D-AF39-181988644E0E.jpeg.f9c3ce6a3eddeb65015e883e3020f4b3.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Almost off the workbench after tonight’s effort is these pair - ex SDJR 10t road van (3D print drawn by @nebnoswalnow in what we think is the most likely LMS livery (2021 build) and the GE cattle wagon (2-536) (2010 build but I finally sorted the lettering!  I need to find where I put my “LARGE”)

FB2EA89F-D159-476D-AF39-181988644E0E.jpeg.f9c3ce6a3eddeb65015e883e3020f4b3.jpeg

I can't locate the photo I have but I based my ones on the missing photo.

1259766011_GERcattlewagon.jpg.17d236ae18e56b8a9aefe69d6adb5bec.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1