Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

1 minute ago, -missy- said:

Thank you Alex. I can neither agree or disagree with your comment about a layout.

Not sure about the navigation lights Mike. I think the rest might be a little too modern for what I am aiming for though.

Thank you Jim. There are some interesting and potentially useful pictures within that link you posted.

Ha!

Thanks Nick. I think the boats are a bit too small for a full on steam plant with funnel.

Could be wrong though.

Julia :)

What period are you aiming for?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not exactly on my workbench as such, but I thought this comparison shot might be of some interest re comparison between 2mm 1-152 and N gauge 1-148. Since joining the 2mm SA I am grateful that most members and the association itself takes a very inclusive view of those than wish or need to use items to 1-148 rather than 1-152 for a whole variety of reasons. But it is interesting and sometimes surprising to see the marked difference in size that can exist.

My layout Priory Road has been undergoing some changes and in the process of testing out some rolling stock assembled two NPCS rakes side by side of Mk1 stock. FB, GUV, CCT. One set made using the very nice association 2mm etched kits, the other being the current Bachmann blue riband stock I have aquired since, ( it wasn't around when I made the kits). I hadn't quite appreciated the size difference until they ended up next to each other, it's quite visible I think how much taller and wider the latter is, and of course a little bit longer

1920447782_1-152v1-148comparison.jpg.e4914eb8214f9f36838efd9c16dd747d.jpg

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

Not exactly on my workbench as such, but I thought this comparison shot might be of some interest re comparison between 2mm 1-152 and N gauge 1-148. Since joining the 2mm SA I am grateful that most members and the association itself takes a very inclusive view of those than wish or need to use items to 1-148 rather than 1-152 for a whole variety of reasons. But it is interesting and sometimes surprising to see the marked difference in size that can exist.

My layout Priory Road has been undergoing some changes and in the process of testing out some rolling stock assembled two NPCS rakes side by side of Mk1 stock. FB, GUV, CCT. One set made using the very nice association 2mm etched kits, the other being the current Bachmann blue riband stock I have aquired since, ( it wasn't around when I made the kits). I hadn't quite appreciated the size difference until they ended up next to each other, it's quite visible I think how much taller and wider the latter is, and of course a little bit longer.

1086926907_1-152v1-148comparison.jpg.cebb98f2d5d452a70a63e881f1aebdde.jpg

The trick I was told was to make sure the two scales didn't run in the same train, and ideally didn't appear "on stage" at the same time.  The difference is about 3% which doesn't sound like much but when you start scaling it out it becomes very apparent over the length of a 57' vehicle doesn't it!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just because it has a Penzance registration doesn't mean to say it has to be in a western fishing port. Fishing boats moved with the fish shoals. We were in Eyemouth a week ago and there was a boat with a Stornoway and another with a Lerwick registrations there. 

Jim 

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Just because it has a Penzance registration doesn't mean to say it has to be in a western fishing port. Fishing boats moved with the fish shoals. We were in Eyemouth a week ago and there was a boat with a Stornoway and another with a Lerwick registrations there. 

Jim 

I went for Penzance as I thought it would pretty much cover 'the west', both top and bottom bits.

J.

19 minutes ago, -missy- said:

I went for Penzance as I thought it would pretty much cover 'the west', both top and bottom bits.

J.

I thought it was perhaps so you could justify having a bit of (disused) broad gauge track on the layout too....triple gauge trackwork maybe?:P

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, osbornsmodels said:

Laser (coach body and underframe) and 3D  work (bogies) combined. Refurbished H15 Restaurant car. no transfers yet though.

restaurant1.jpg

restaurant2.jpg

Very much reminds me of Stewart Hine’s hand built GW stock. 

Tim

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just off my workbench and onto the layout, a 3-phase power pole, from 2mm dia brass rod, 1/32nd brass rod, brass L-section and some insulators I found on Shapeways.

pole1.jpg.a77dc9b1f5356824ba4b53930b990874.jpg

pole_planted2

(or is it a Martian tripod?)

A second more complex construction the other side of the railway, including a transformer, is now taking shape on the workbench.

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded images
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coal Tank said:

Thats enough for today. A tender for an 8F kit that I have for ages 

That's looking very nice.

What are your plans for the sawn-up Black 5 boiler/smokebox casting with this kit?

I've been looking at mine and wondering what the best way forward is. I don't think I could simply glue them together.

• RMweb Gold

Wagons, lots of them.....

Not the best shot, but the latest batch of coal wagons (3D printed Sithlord's files) all wheeled, buffers and painted. Some have couplings but I have used all the batch I made up.

Wagons

SDJR wagons, the n gauge box van will be replaced at some point. The transfers are RailTec recent released set. 

They have stood up well to my mauling when applying them.

Wagons

A crude close up, how do people like to pick the iron work out? 

Is it just a very small brush and a steady hand? 

Wagons

Edited by tapdieuk
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1