Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

On 02/08/2021 at 11:09, 65179 said:

We are talking at cross-purposes Chris. The front rings for the smokebox are etched. Your wrapper is the right size. The etched front ring is too large for the wrapper, but is intended to match the cast boiler.

Simon

Oh, OK. Then just roll my wrapper to a slightly larger diameter, leaving a small gap at the bottom which you will probably not see, to match the ring?

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 2

Getting ever closer. Transfers I had didn’t cover all aspects of the lettering required. 

6DD885E2-1D82-4BAA-94E3-67CE728AA2FB.jpeg.3bd89e8e39052df19a47065fb1403e32.jpeg

The G on one side got damaged but weathering should hide. 

494BE358-DCC0-4C3A-A817-D0AAB3EBF84C.jpeg.b112d39af54a1626da88103dd4ebc4fe.jpeg

Matt varnish required first then the vac. pipe, couplings and wheels will complete. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

Hi a couple of pics the 8F, the cab has been attached and the valences have been applied, Unfortunately one of the front valance has vanished!!!!!. As for the boiler, Im  not sure I may try something else. Im also hoping that the front valance turns up, any way it is resembling an engine. If any of you notice any mistakes please say as it would be easier to sort now than when its finished (which might be a while yet) 

John 

IMG_20210805_173730.jpg

IMG_20210805_173723.jpg

Edited by Coal Tank
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Doing my best to butcher a Jinty replacement chassis.

Still lots to go wrong, but with the rods it does roll with a bit of weight on the rocking plank test. No tight spots with the rods, although the Simpson springs have taken quite a mauling, and have been bent back into shape quite a few times.

All in all quite please, even after I rolled it off the bench it stilled worked! A tight spot on the splashes needs some fettling on the body. 

20210806_201606

20210806_210132

20210806_210141

Edited by tapdieuk
Spelling
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

More lettering. This time it’s all with a 5/0 brush. These are the prints from Ian Morgan’s CAD seen somewhere upthread. 

E0384F5C-E33A-48B0-8013-11C1C1568877.jpeg.75c754819b8bb0857edc3ec60600fadb.jpeg

The third of the trio will have to wait for another session, as will the other sides of the wagons shown! Hopefully they will go just as well. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

Hi I have put some of the fittings onto the boiler, and tried the etched smoke box and its now likely that I Will use the boiler casting and the etched smokebox, the etch definately  has the better detail. It does have the look of a Stanier locomotive

IMG_20210807_162759.jpg

Edited by Coal Tank
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

And another wagon for Freshwater:

IMG_20210807_172133

IMG_20210807_172111

Apart from a number of open wagons owned by Blue Circle cement to move chalk from a quarry to the cement works (which would have had no reason to end up in Freshwater) the only other private owner wagons on the island that I know of were a small number of tank wagons used to transport paraffin. At Freshwater, there were a pair of storage tanks supplied by these wagons. The traffic was important enough for plans to be prepared for two more storage tanks, although I do not think they were actually installed.

Paraffin was an important heating fuel before gas reached everywhere. I remember back in the 1960's having to pop up the road to the local hardware store with a gallon tin to be filled from the automatic dispenser outside. I think it was Pink Paraffin rather than Esso Blue. At bedtime, the portable heater on the landing would be lit in a vain effort to heat all the bedrooms. When the paraffin ran out at 2 or 3am the wick would smoulder for a while producing a characteristic smell that signified that the condensation on the inside of the bedroom windows would be frozen solid by getting up for school time.

The tank body is from Peco, saving me the problem of finding suitable transfers. It is mounted on a 2mm Scale Association chassis (2-384). I have only lightly weathered it, as in my mind any spillage would end up cleaning the wagon rather than making it dirty. So, not 100% correct. but better than anything I could scratchbuild.

LS69645.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
Images reposted
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, -missy- said:

Having a break from the couplings. Playing around making some 2.5mm diameter wheels for my NG stuff instead.

image.png.6f11635941f7167853466b25e0d5a51e.png

image.png.9b8013e174675ca3f2cb68d64bb74bee.png

image.png.0fdfe5f52deca6ad0412384771eec7ac.png

Julia.

Please could you share details of the prototypes Julia?

Also how did you make the axles and what dimensions are they please?

Sam

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sam Kennion said:

Please could you share details of the prototypes Julia?

Also how did you make the axles and what dimensions are they please?

Sam

Hi Sam.

The axles were a special commission from the same supplier the 2mmSA get theirs from. They are 6.65mm long 1mm diameter. The wagon is a L&B 4 ton covered goods wagon.

Julia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are some pics showing progress with my LNWR 19" Goods, but first a pic of my magnifier/ lamp. Trying to keep the lamp in the desired position proved increasingly difficult and eventually the thread on the screw nearest the magnifier sheared, so I used string(!) to keep it in place. This worked for a while until one of the arms sheared completely as I straightened or bent the two arms during set-up. As I can't work without some help from a magnifier, and haven't been able to for many years, I had to rig something up so the Heath Robinson set up shown is what I now use. It looks rubbish but at least I can see what I am doing.

IMG_1934.JPG.34c9b68cd37dd0e9bed5ba9129bb1f2b.JPG

The pics below show the initial stages in fixing the handrail along the ejector pipes. I've had to do this before on several other LNWR locos, but for some reason this time I really struggled to get the shape just right. The third attempt seemed finally to fit correctly round the front of the smokebox and along the sides of the ejector pipes. One of the difficulties is keeping the bent-up wire (10 thou spring steel, annealed) in place at one point while offering it up on the other side of the boiler, but bits of blu-tac helped. 

This shows the right-hand side with the wire soldered in place.

IMG_1936.JPG.153f0106e42d8c04b751fa448ce513c4.JPG

The left side with the wire just about tack soldered near the front of the ejector pipe.

IMG_1937.JPG.a0cd139c19efde34fc3f5c8bcd15c32d.JPG

The front of the handrail (just about visible) following the circumference of the smokebox. 

IMG_1935.JPG.d34ce17bef5fce5ec5dc59b34a2af21e.JPG

Once the wire had been tacked in place i could squeeze it here and there to improve the fit. Strictly speaking the ejector and handrail should be held in place with a series of knobs along the length of the boiler, but life is too short for me to do that, and on prototype pics those knobs are hardly visible.

Nigel Hunt 

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

3 hours ago, Nig H said:

Here are some pics showing progress with my LNWR 19" Goods, but first a pic of my magnifier/ lamp. Trying to keep the lamp in the desired position proved increasingly difficult and eventually the thread on the screw nearest the magnifier sheared, so I used string(!) to keep it in place. This worked for a while until one of the arms sheared completely as I straightened or bent the two arms during set-up. As I can't work without some help from a magnifier, and haven't been able to for many years, I had to rig something up so the Heath Robinson set up shown is what I now use. It looks rubbish but at least I can see what I am doing.

IMG_1934.JPG.34c9b68cd37dd0e9bed5ba9129bb1f2b.JPG

The pics below show the initial stages in fixing the handrail along the ejector pipes. I've had to do this before on several other LNWR locos, but for some reason this time I really struggled to get the shape just right. The third attempt seemed finally to fit correctly round the front of the smokebox and along the sides of the ejector pipes. One of the difficulties is keeping the bent-up wire (10 thou spring steel, annealed) in place at one point while offering it up on the other side of the boiler, but bits of blu-tac helped. 

This shows the right-hand side with the wire soldered in place.

IMG_1936.JPG.153f0106e42d8c04b751fa448ce513c4.JPG

The left side with the wire just about tack soldered near the front of the ejector pipe.

IMG_1937.JPG.a0cd139c19efde34fc3f5c8bcd15c32d.JPG

The front of the handrail (just about visible) following the circumference of the smokebox. 

IMG_1935.JPG.d34ce17bef5fce5ec5dc59b34a2af21e.JPG

Once the wire had been tacked in place i could squeeze it here and there to improve the fit. Strictly speaking the ejector and handrail should be held in place with a series of knobs along the length of the boiler, but life is too short for me to do that, and on prototype pics those knobs are hardly visible.

Nigel Hunt 

Hi Nigel 

Very nice, is it a scaled down Brassmasters kit. 

3 hours ago, Nig H said:

....... but first a pic of my magnifier/ lamp.

I have one of these, but now very rarely use it.  i find trying to work under it too restrictive.  Perhaps having been used to working with headband magnifier/loupes I find that better.  I now use a set of magnification lenses on a frame which sits over my glasses.  Unfortunately last time I looked they were no longer available.

Jim

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi Nigel 

Very nice, is it a scaled down Brassmasters kit. 

Hello John,

Yes, from the run Chris Higgs organised.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 1

I've had these for some time - I purchased a few either from the 2mm Shops or the NGS one back when Matherson was exiting the market (shame - very nice models).  The Yorkshire and Bute are as is, but as I'd ended up with 5 Yorkshires (all with the same number) I thought some work was in order so I drew up the lettering using Adobe Illustrator.  Holly Bank I found had a link to the LNWR so whilst it is unlikely they were ever seen at St Alban's LNWR station, it is at least plausible.  The J Punter is made up.  I have information that Punter supplied "best coals" to the denizens of St Alban's and worked out of the LNWR station.  Further information told me their wagons were "buff colour with black lettering" but I don't have any pictures so this is my interpretation.  Having spent over 18 months looking, I won't be surprised if someone can show me a picture in the next 18 hours....1387247794_MathersonPoWs.jpeg.bc123b97a57e1eb44d61b69911a722c5.jpeg

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

I've had these for some time - I purchased a few either from the 2mm Shops or the NGS one back when Matherson was exiting the market (shame - very nice models).  The Yorkshire and Bute are as is, but as I'd ended up with 5 Yorkshires (all with the same number) I thought some work was in order so I drew up the lettering using Adobe Illustrator.  Holly Bank I found had a link to the LNWR so whilst it is unlikely they were ever seen at St Alban's LNWR station, it is at least plausible.  The J Punter is made up.  I have information that Punter supplied "best coals" to the denizens of St Alban's and worked out of the LNWR station.  Further information told me their wagons were "buff colour with black lettering" but I don't have any pictures so this is my interpretation.  Having spent over 18 months looking, I won't be surprised if someone can show me a picture in the next 18 hours....1387247794_MathersonPoWs.jpeg.bc123b97a57e1eb44d61b69911a722c5.jpeg

How does the size of these compare with your own (3D CAD for printing) work? 

On 14/08/2021 at 14:55, osbornsmodels said:

I suspect they will be coming back be 

Really? Are you sure? I do hope so as the Matheson wagon is still miles better than any other similar open wagon from any of the other manufacturers. It may even be the best outright but I haven't compared it to some of the latest offerings. 

I hope they offer their 3 link couplings too as they are a great fit in BachFar wagons. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2021 at 18:45, MrSimon said:

Hello everybody, 

Over the last few days I’ve been working on this:

0FCAC245-22B9-498B-B713-6B0CC393C818.jpeg.c88118ff03c562d37ffc9922e6b87caa.jpeg

As a first tandem turnout (A6 left, B8 right) I’m happy with how it’s turned out!

Cheers

Simon

Hi all, 

I finally started to make the changes to the tandem point and I think it’s looking much better.  The B8 side (top) was unchanged but then everything on the other side moved along a bit. 

6251B650-D532-4BDC-AE84-23975DB9758C.jpeg.9e3c7299dc48d26925f45fbb0bc4a404.jpeg

This time I built the new crossings first then joined it all up in the order Jim (I think) showed.  Still to add are the curved blades and check rails then I’ll check the gapping and see if I can run it.  Final thing to do will be to cut the timbers to length.

No Blu-tac was harmed in the rebuilding of this turnout.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 15/08/2021 at 18:38, Sam Kennion said:

Really? Are you sure? I do hope so as the Matheson wagon is still miles better than any other similar open wagon from any of the other manufacturers. It may even be the best outright but I haven't compared it to some of the latest offerings. 

I hope they offer their 3 link couplings too as they are a great fit in BachFar wagons. 

I am fairly sure. Meanwhile their N gauge wheel sets are available Mathieson Spoked Wagon Wheels 10 (osbornsmodels.com)

I will ask about the 3-link couplings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1