Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Just beautiful John. Yet again you demonstrate how relatively simple techniques can produce stunning results when in very skilled hands.

Am I right in saying that the layout view above is from the operators side, not the viewers.

Jerry

Jerry,

You are right, the general photo is from the operator's side of the layout, or more precisely, from the middle as I have separated the baseboards. So that view will be largely hidden !!

John

Thank you all for your comments.

@ Don - I am delighted that it captures the feel of Totnes, despite the liberties that I have taken.

@ Southernboy - the balcony railings are proprietary etches, I think from Scalelink. I will check to see if I have any packaging from them and post further information. I must have had them for years so I have no idea if they are still available. (Love your Frankland layout.)

Best wishes,

John

Hi Southernboy,

The balcony railings are indeed Scalelink (no connection), Minifret Iron Balustrades, product No. MINI09, price £7.20, and appear to be available. Hope that this helps.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The pic below shows my first attempt at finescaling a Dapol Britannia. I tried using etched backing pieces behind the Dapol connecting rods and eccentric rods so I could connect these up to Association wheels with 0.5mm crankpins.

post-12813-0-39387500-1437086370_thumb.jpg

I wasn't happy with the results, especially the overlarge rear end of the connecting rods, but also the large rivet heads on the union link, combination lever and eccentric rod, so I'm trying to see if I can use the motion parts from  a Worsley Works Britannia chassis etch so I can use smaller washers and 0.3mm nickel silver rod to join bits together. Main issues are connecting the WW union link and connecting rod to the plastic crosshead moulding, connecting the WW eccentric rod to the Dapol expansion link, and connecting the WW combination lever to the Dapol radius rod.

Then there's the bogie, pony truck and tender to sort out........

Beginning to feel this could all go pear-shaped etc.

Nig H

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I have now assembled the replacement valve gear on the Dapol Brit. Here it is before connecting everything up.

post-12813-0-97589700-1437497479_thumb.jpg

When I'd re-connected the valve gear etc. I gave the loco a quick test run. it seemed stiff so I ran it with Cif on the various soldered joints of the rods and gear. After about 15 minutes of running, I cleaned the Cif off, oiled round and then re-tested. There was a vast improvement, although I'm not happy with the way the combination lever and union link end up as shown in the fuzzy pic below. The WW combination lever is too short, as I suspected it would be. Bother!!

post-12813-0-27801700-1437497820_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-13377800-1437497836_thumb.jpg

Nig H

• Like 4

I have now assembled the replacement valve gear on the Dapol Brit. Here it is before connecting everything up.

attachicon.gifBritannia1.JPG

When I'd re-connected the valve gear etc. I gave the loco a quick test run. it seemed stiff so I ran it with Cif on the various soldered joints of the rods and gear. After about 15 minutes of running, I cleaned the Cif off, oiled round and then re-tested. There was a vast improvement, although I'm not happy with the way the combination lever and union link end up as shown in the fuzzy pic below. The WW combination lever is too short, as I suspected it would be. Bother!!

attachicon.gifBritannia (12).JPG

attachicon.gifBritannia (10).JPG

Nig H

I feel some etching coming on....

A quick combination lever should be no bother for you, Nig.

Just coming off my workbench is a GWR Diagram O2 Low Siphon (a milk truck for the non-GWR readers).  This is one of Richard Brummitt's kits, and was purchased and started soon after I rejoined the Association some 3 years ago now.  The kit builds up relatively easily, but I did find the solebars particularly delicate for my ham-fisted modelling techniques.  The axle boxes (not included in the kit) are simply carved blocks of styrene as I didn't want to sacrifice anything better to be mostly hidden behind the footboards).  Also during the build I managed to sacrifice a pair of lamp irons to the carpet god, hence them being missing on the van ends (not really an issue since it will always be marshalled between the engine and the leading coach in traditional GWR fashion).  I have finished in the pre-1904 livery suitable for Modbury's Edwardian period, and have put a few milk churns inside since most photos show these vans with a load (either full or empty churns being carried).  The roof is simply a rectangle of 0.006" nickel silver rolled to an arc profile with rain strips of a strand of wire from a section of multi-way computer cable (the finest stuff I could find at 0.005" thick)

post-12089-0-00013300-1437559971_thumb.jpg

Broadside view

post-12089-0-49118100-1437559972_thumb.jpg

3/4 view

post-12089-0-94552600-1437559973_thumb.jpg

In it's normal marshalled position

post-12089-0-54779300-1437559975_thumb.jpg

It still needs the DG's adding, but I have a few vehicles in that state now so I can feel another batch build coming on!

Ian

Edited by Ian Smith
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I feel some etching coming on....

A quick combination lever should be no bother for you, Nig.

Thanks Chris. It should be within my capabilities to make a set from scrap nickel silver, or I could look at levers on other etches to see if they are long enough. I measured the Dapol and Worsley Works union links and connecting rods and the Dapol ones were longer between centres, so I suppose that also explains the angle of union link to combination lever in the fuzzy pic. I really don't want to dismantle the valve gear again apart from the combination lever, but maybe I'll have to to sort it properly.

I managed to remove the Dapol tyres from the bogie wheels and I am optimistic that I'll be able to fit Association rims. I think I'll be able to do the pony truck wheels in similar fashion.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris. It should be within my capabilities to make a set from scrap nickel silver, or I could look at levers on other etches to see if they are long enough. I measured the Dapol and Worsley Works union links and connecting rods and the Dapol ones were longer between centres, so I suppose that also explains the angle of union link to combination lever in the fuzzy pic. I really don't want to dismantle the valve gear again apart from the combination lever, but maybe I'll have to to sort it properly.

I managed to remove the Dapol tyres from the bogie wheels and I am optimistic that I'll be able to fit Association rims. I think I'll be able to do the pony truck wheels in similar fashion.

Nig H

How did you remove the Dapol tyres ?

Just coming off my workbench is a GWR Diagram O2 Low Siphon (a milk truck for the non-GWR readers)...

That looks great, it really captures the 'well ventilated' look of the prototype.  You metro tank is also looking rather stunning in that livery.  If and when I ever get time to continue with mine I think that I might make another body and try to replicate your evident success.

• RMweb Premium

How did you remove the Dapol tyres ?

I took one wheel off the Dapol axle then put the axle and remaining wheel in a minidrill. I used a needle file to grind the metal tyre away, leaving the plastic centre. I reduced the diameter of the centre until it would pass through an Assoc wheel rim. I took this centre off the axle, put the other wheel on the axle and repeated the process. After cleaning up the plastic centres I epoxied them into the Assoc wheel rims. Pics attached. I am not sure how concentric the wheels will be once mounted back on the Dapol axles, and I may have to come up with another solution.

post-12813-0-74516200-1437647779.jpg

post-12813-0-78501000-1437647802_thumb.jpg

Nig H

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here are some pics of a MR 6 wheel brake van I built from a David Eveleigh etch, now ready for painting.

post-12813-0-60234900-1438091282_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-86102200-1438091303_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-45192300-1438091561_thumb.jpg

The handrails are from 8 thou steel, and seem to have rusted a bit. I had quite a battle with the solebar/ step assemblies, and they won. You can tell they are a bit wobbly.

Nig H

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Nice Nigel ive just started the 4 wheel one

Thanks John. I saw you van, that's why I posted these pics in case they might be of use. You and Jerry might be interested in a topic I've started in kitbuilding and scratch building re building LNWR G2s.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Here are some pics of a MR 6 wheel brake van I built from a David Eveleigh etch, now ready for painting.

attachicon.gifMR Brake van (2).JPG

attachicon.gifMR Brake van (4).JPG

attachicon.gifMR Brake van (3).JPG

The handrails are from 8 thou steel, and seem to have rusted a bit. I had quite a battle with the solebar/ step assemblies, and they won. You can tell they are a bit wobbly.

Nig H

Very nice, Nigel. About time you got onto some wagons!

Rather than wrestling with steel wire you could try some Albion Alloys 0.2mm/0.008thou nickel silver rod. It comes in straight lengths which makes it ideal for handrails. Here's an example of a seller but there are others:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351335472650?hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&device=c&chn=ps&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

David

Rather than wrestling with steel wire you could try some Albion Alloys 0.2mm/0.008thou nickel silver rod. It comes in straight lengths which makes it ideal for handrails. Here's an example of a seller but there are others:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351335472650?hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&device=c&chn=ps&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

David

Thanks for the info - although as always with eBay it pays to dig deeper. This is the ebay shop for Chronos, on eBay £5.25 + 99p p&p - go direct to Chronos and the same item is £5.04 incl postage! 

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=silver%20nickel%20rod&PN=Albion%2dAlloys%2dNickel%2dSilver%2dRod%2ehtml#aNSR02

• RMweb Premium

David

Thanks David, and Adrian too.

I notice Chronos do some 0.1mm rod as well. That might come in useful.

David, I have built loads of wagons including c. 80 mineral wagons, 25 fitted vans, a dozen pipe wagons plus a variety of others. In the main they were made many years ago from various plastic kits and are fairly unremarkable as models go. I'm happy to leave experts such as yourself, Steve Harris and Steve Sykes to entertain us on the wagon front.

Nig H

I have just completed 6 ex LNER 13T mineral wagons for the Forth and Clyde group's Sauchenford layout.  These are the N-gauge Society body mouldings on 2MM SA underframes with cast axleboxes and springs and cast brass RCH buffers.  I have attempted to portray them in a variety of care worn conditions, with replacement planks of different ages and a fair degree of rust evident.  They are strictly modern image as far as I am concerned, even when they were built, but they will make a bit of variety among the masses of steel minerals which others are building!

I  chickened out of hand lettering them, using instead N-gauge Soc. transfers.  :blush:

post-25077-0-19085900-1438203438_thumb.jpg

At the next group meeting they will be passed to Campbell Engineering's Kelvindale works to have Electa couplings fitted.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 5

Further to the above post, I have just been advised that they will go to the Scotstoun facility of Campbell Fabrications plc (Electra Couplings Division) as the Kelvindale factory is not equipped to handle such complex fabrication work.

Jim

Greetings,

At our local Wealden Area Group Richard Benn needed something from the 70's for his new layout. Being a dab hand at designing etches he came up with this little gem of a 70's icon. Despite being horrific to ride Choppers were everywhere so we've been having a go at building them. He designed 2 versions, a simplified one in 2 pieces, and a 3 piece fiendish one being the one below. Fiendish as you need to bend the hoop, twist the pedals, handle bars and gear change to the correct angle without snapping them off. Sorry, no spokes or chain! Now it just needs a dab of orange or purple paint. 

post-6986-0-46177400-1438437052_thumb.jpg

post-6986-0-23176900-1438437081_thumb.jpg

Gareth

• Like 12