Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Anyway, I joined 2FS about 4 years ago but appear to have lapsed!

Don't have any recollection of a renewal reminder but will take care of that at Modelrail Scotland 2016.

I maintain the membership records, but without knowing your name I can't trace when you lapsed, however you would receive renewal invitations in both the February and April Magazines and, if you gave an email address when you joined and which was still 'live', you would also get email reminders.

You don't have to wait until Model Rail to rejoin, there is an application form at http://www.2mm.org.uk/join.htm .

Chris has answered your question regarding flat bottom rail.  I'm a bullhead user myself!

Jim

Hi Chris,

What I thought should be the foot of the rail does not fit the sleeper bases but what I thought would be the railhead does.

Hence my confusion!

Could it be that you have bullhead sleepers?  Those for flat bottom rail have a different shaped chair.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Could it be that you have bullhead sleepers?  Those for flat bottom rail have a different shaped chair.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I never thought about that....

On checking I have a box that says Easitrac Wooden F/Bottom sleepering bases.

I've checked against the Wooden B/Head sleepering bases to make sure and the box has the correct bases in it.

The box of 5m has F/Bottom rail on the label.

I will attempt to take a macro photo tomorrow to show what I mean.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I recently bought some sleepers from the shop at the 2mm expo in Chelford, I seem to recall that not all of the right sleepers were in all of the right boxes....

That maybe an explanation?

• RMweb Gold

I recently bought some sleepers from the shop at the 2mm expo in Chelford, I seem to recall that not all of the right sleepers were in all of the right boxes....

That maybe an explanation?

Hi Argos,

You may be right...

I've just taken one sleeper sprue from each box - they are the same!

Here is the photo of the F/B rail in the sleeper bases.

post-6887-0-58908900-1448233633_thumb.jpg

As you can see - the rail is upside down.

That sort of confirms that my box of F/B Sleepers bases are actually B/H ones.

OK - back to the other 2FS stuff I have which is either waiting to be completed or started.

Thanks

Phil,

Those are definitely bullhead sleeper bases. Suggest you drop the 2mm Sales Officer an email (contact details on the website) and advise of your problem.

Regards,

Andy

(edit : apologies - my post crossed with Jim's one above!)

Edited by 2mm Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Dave of the Track Stores has agreed to replace the box of incorrect sleepering bases with one that has the correct contents.

Very pleased with the prompt attention and resolution to the mishap.

Looks like it will be 2mm FS track making demonstration at Falkirk exhibition thise weekend after all!

Thanks for the various bits of info and input...

Back to the modelling!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

HI all,

Satisfactory conclusion to the situation.

I have received the replacement box of sleepering in the post today.

Thanks again for the input!

If you are visiting Falkirk Model Railway Exhibition at the weekend....

Pop in at the 'Halfway House' between the 2 main halls - the Scottish Modellers & DEMU demonstration stand.

We will be doing some 2mm stuff over the weekend - probably track and (says he looking in another box) wagon chassis construction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Cartazzi supports and double-sided PCB rear frame spacer for the P2 have now been made (with Gary observing the process of setting up the chassis and soldering in the spacer). The rear chassis extension has been lopped off. I have worked out the body fixing - two bolt holes at the rear - fixing into the raised cab floor, the Cartazzi axle pivot arrangements and also bolted on the cylinder blocks.

The quartering of the wheels in the chassis was remarkably straightforward, and these are currently held by soft muffs to allow the wheel to be removed easily. The motor-gearbox is simply laying in place (sans final drive) and needed a bit of grinding out of the boiler innards to get the required space. I still have room to be able to make a nice backhead and cab detail casting to cover the motor.

Front body fixing and spacer next.

Tim

post-13388-0-84936600-1448497142_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-23037600-1448497163_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

After much procrastination, I got round to finishing off this coach by adding some LNWR 'Cauliflower' motifs (thanks Andy H).

post-12813-0-26144700-1448548267_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-19431900-1448548104_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-24408400-1448548120_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-16469500-1448548147_thumb.jpg

The coach is actually a model of the Highland Railway directors saloon, scrapped in 1947. In my model world, it was saved from the scrap heap by Sir Henry Rawlinson (a character invented by Viv Stanshall), a great admirer of all things London North Western, and repainted in pseudo-LNWR livery for use as his private carriage. As part of the purchase agreement, the LMS agreed to Sir Henry being able to attach his carriage to ordinary timetabled passenger trains, or behind his ex-LSWR T9.

Nig H

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Making accurate measurements.

One of the problems in scratchbuilding is making sure that everything stays true and level. For a number of years I have used a piece of Tufnol with two PCB tracks glued to it as a measuring platform. The gauge is set at 9.2 mm so that there is no side play of the wheels on the rails: it is also used as a coupling height gauge.

To use the block, as shown in the second photo, I simply measure its thickness including the rails and then zero the calipers. Any measurements will then be accurate for height. It can also be used to scribe spot heights with the caliper tips (probably not supposed to do this, but I always have) as seen in the third photo where I am marking the centre height of the piston on the P2. Finally, it is easy to hold the little block with the engine on its wheels and check that everything is upright with a British Standard Eyeball.

Tim

post-13388-0-64456600-1448739813_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-90834700-1448739829_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-03865500-1448739848_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have fitted the front spacer to the P2 frames. This incorporates the front pony pivot mounting as a piece of 3 mm diameter brass rod with a 12BA clearance hole down the middle. This transects the spacer and then acts as the support for the front body fixing. This tube has been isolated from both frames by gapping the PCB appropriately. The two cylinders can be seen bolted to the frames: cylinder drain cock holes have been drilled, but the pipes will be unlikely to be full length to the front guard irons. The temporary frame assembly jig has now been cut off from the pony frames.

The middle photo shows the spacer extended rear wards to act as a support for the motion support brackets: PCB will be gapped when I know what these will be like, but the front body support is very clearly visible above the spacer. The cylinders have been drilled at the rear for the valve rod and combination lever support casting and the piston stuffing block / slidebar support.

The photo of the A4 valve gear shows what this area should look like when complete.

Tim

post-13388-0-64743300-1448753953_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-52488200-1448754376_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-15543800-1448754563_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

My workbench for the past weekend has been the Scottish Modellers/DEMU Demonstration stand at the Falkirk Model Railway Exhibition.

What was I up to?

In between doing bits of HO MOW gear, stripping back a OO Class 156 for underframe detailing, talking to visitors, traders and other exhibitors that is!

I managed to make up 5 yards of F/B track and 5 yards of B/H track over the 2 days.

I also started (nearly) the chassis kit for the Mineral wagon. There were several interesting interchanges between people looking at what I was doing and myself.

Lots of comments about 2FS including comparing it with the 4mm scale 'war of gauges' - not a comparison I would agree to and made that clear to the person putting the question to me!

In the end he went off quietly to 'have a word with someone about it' and didn't come back.

Anyway - It's my model railway and if I want to go finescale - that is my choice and one I would defend against any arguement or arguer!

Several visitors seem to be inclined towards 2FS but are being kept away because of the improved models in plain N gauge. I was surprised by how many are thinking about using the new FineTracks components though.

Anyway - a bit of fun and banter never hurt anyone and I gave as good as I got.

We - Scottish Modellers, that is - will continue to demonstrate whatever 2FS projects that we have ongoing between us on the demonstration stands acros the various eshibitions in SCotland during 2016.

Thanks

• Like 2

Lots of comments about 2FS including comparing it with the 4mm scale 'war of gauges' - not a comparison I would agree to and made that clear to the person putting the question to me!

I fully agree.  Finescale (in any scale) is a 'state of mind' and doesn't necessarily relate to the track standards you adopt, though that state of mind makes you want to use those closest to and best portraying the prototype.   And, yes, it is your model and it's up to you how you do it.  ;-)

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

I have fitted the front spacer to the P2 frames. This incorporates the front pony pivot mounting as a piece of 3 mm diameter brass rod with a 12BA clearance hole down the middle. This transects the spacer and then acts as the support for the front body fixing. This tube has been isolated from both frames by gapping the PCB appropriately. The two cylinders can be seen bolted to the frames: cylinder drain cock holes have been drilled, but the pipes will be unlikely to be full length to the front guard irons. The temporary frame assembly jig has now been cut off from the pony frames.

The middle photo shows the spacer extended rear wards to act as a support for the motion support brackets: PCB will be gapped when I know what these will be like, but the front body support is very clearly visible above the spacer. The cylinders have been drilled at the rear for the valve rod and combination lever support casting and the piston stuffing block / slidebar support.

The photo of the A4 valve gear shows what this area should look like when complete.

Tim

Tim,

Great stuff - very impressive and nice choice of prototype. Next you need to make 10000.

Best wishes,

John

PS What is the original for the photo of the A4 valve gear ?

Tim,

Great stuff - very impressive and nice choice of prototype. Next you need to make 10000.

Best wishes,

John

PS What is the original for the photo of the A4 valve gear ?

Tim does diesels? Surely not.

I noticed a tantalising glimpse of the loco body in one of those shots.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hush hush Mr Higgs don't be so cheeky! 10000 would be an interesting exercise in brass carving and might be heavier than the P2. The A4 photo is my 7mm model: I know you shouldn't copy models but it is quite accurate...

I've been working on the double chimney on 'Lord President'. These double chimneys are massive on the Greeley boilers: you can see why Mallard was able to make the steam for her record breaking run - and get rid of it - when you look at the proportions. To all intents and purposes there are no joints visible with the streamlined casing, especially in 2mm scale. I have made four A4 chimneys to date, so thought I would try a different technique for the P2 making the chimney integral with the streamlined casing. The front end started life as a white metal Foxhunter A4. Phil Kerr gave me the excellent casting, although it has undergone major re-sculpting to suite the P2.

The loco body was mounted on the frames and then the frames simply clamped in the machine vice on my little Cowells milling machine. A 3.6 mm diameter mill was then used to slot out the base of the chimney to take the Kylchap blast pipes. Next, a lump of brass was double drilled for the two pipes and then filed up to shape, with the V shaped rearward extension sitting on top of the casing. This brass was generously tinned at the sides and bottom with 146 degree solder and then placed in the slotted smokebox casing. A hot iron was left for a while on top of the openings and the brass fitting melted into the casting. Any extra faring was made up with 70 degree low melt solder painted on with a hot iron. Then followed quite a lot of cleaning up. The final chimney has a reasonably seamless joint with the streamlined casing. It may be a touch too tall at the moment, but these things are often best left to have a look at with a cold pair of eyes. The final photo shows the engine doing an impression of Sir Ralph Wedgewood after Luftwaffe-based re-modelling.

More on the boiler and cab later. The brass running plate is the valence, rather than the footplate itself.

Tim

post-13388-0-78841900-1448906909_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-62383800-1448906928_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-78390800-1448906943_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-03521000-1448924836_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 7

Hush hush Mr Higgs don't be so cheeky! 10000 would be an interesting exercise in brass carving and might be heavier than the P2. 

My apologies Tim. I will look forward to 10000  :yes:  Although I don't know whether the Twins ever operated out of the Cross.

I have a half finished 10000 somewhere - a Silver Fox moulding with the front end chopped about to make it more accurate. But not sure I could ever glaze it well enough. If I had the skill, 3D CAD would be the way to go.

Chris

I'm confused as to whether you are confused as to which 10000 is being referred to!.

The LNER 10000 ran with a very high pressure boiler and known as the Hush-hush as it was built under a degree of secrecy by Gresley.  Later designated class W1 with 4-6-4 wheel arrangement. I'm uncertain how long it ran before a rebuild.

On the LMS ( and later all around BR) there were a pair of diesels nos.10000 and 10001 which often worked in tandem. There is (was) a kit for these.

As far as mystery gas turbines go there was also the GT3 early in BR days - a loco I never did get to see. In fact I didn't even know of it until several years later as it appeared after my early spotting days and before Beeching.

Edited by autocoupler942

I'm confused as to whether you are confused as to which 10000 is being referred to!.

The LNER 10000 ran with a very high pressure boiler and known as the Hush-hush as it was built under a degree of secrecy by Gresley.  Later designated class W1 with 4-6-4 wheel arrangement. I'm uncertain how long it ran before a rebuild.

On the LMS ( and later all around BR) there were a pair of diesels nos.10000 and 10001 which often worked in tandem. There is (was) a kit for these.

As far as mystery gas turbines go there was also the GT3 early in BR days - a loco I never did get to see. In fact I didn't even know of it until several years later as it appeared after my early spotting days and before Beeching.

Autocoupler,

I think Tim and I are fairly clear that we mean the sole W1 class - the Hush-hush.

BTW, I was delighted that Tim used a photo of his own prize-winning A4 model to show the valve gear - it is a superb piece of workmanship, albeit somewhat larger than 2mm scale !

John

• 2 weeks later...

Again more of a 'what's just come off my workbench (AKA desk)'.

When fellow member of the Forth and Clyde Area Group Colin Brady passed away suddenly earlier this year, the group took on the task of dealing with his modelling things.  Among them were 6 of the resin kits I produced many years ago for CR Dia 21 mineral wagons which Colin had partly built but not finished.   I obtained them and have just finished them off.  They needed some repairs and refurbishment as some of them had suffered a bit of damage.  These repairs are not too obvious, especially once they are painted and weathered with a liberal coating of 'coal dust' (black powder paint).  4 of them have been modelled as 'empties', returning from the docks loaded with pit props and the other two loaded with coal.  They were painted with a new tin of Precision Paints 'CR Wagon Oxide', but it seems to be a little darker and browner than the previous tin I had dating from the 70's and which had finally got to the 'unusable stage.

post-25077-0-80330900-1449962217_thumb.jpg

Seen here sitting in Kirkallanmuir exchange sidings.

Jim

• Like 12