Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Will you be offering these etches for sale when you are happy with them?

I will be, but I have 5 other ones to build first along with some other items!

They look great!

thanks for that.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Those are gorgeous wagons Jim, especially the second one. We have to be bit wary of etched wagons, because they come in a bit heavy in a long train, especially with the hilly nature of our layout.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Not really on my workbench, because that is 4,665 miles away, but I visited the Colorado Railroad Museum today. The first photo shows how our American colleagues do valve gear and the second shows a group of early-stage P2s, en-masse, at the Buffalo Bill museum.

Tim

post-13388-0-01438700-1455404462_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-77752800-1455404491_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Taking a break from wagons, another set of items on my trial etch are three cattle pens for Kirkallanmuir.  They are based on a photo of Peebles which has some pens in the far background, with the dimensions taken from a drawing of similarly shaped NER pens.  I decided that an etch would be preferable to trying to make them up from styrene, but working out how to arrange the various layers to provide approximately the correct thickness to the posts, rails etc was an interesting excercise!   They are designed rather along the lines of the old Hornby Dublo engine shed kit in that one etch provides a single pen, while a second provides the parts to extend that by one pen, replacing one end section with a 'partition' section.  As many extensions as you like can be added (I'm making up three pens in all) with the end missed off the first pen used for the last one.

First photo shows the parts for the first pen laid out on a paper template of the posts.

post-25077-0-94852000-1455573701_thumb.jpg

The template was then stuck to card and holes drilled at each post to form a jig to aid assembly of the parts.  The second photo shows the first pen in the jig.

post-25077-0-31942400-1455573535_thumb.jpg

Once all three have been assembled and removed from the jig it will form a template for drilling the holes in the livestock landing into which the pens can be secured.

Jim

• Like 13

Not really on my workbench, because that is 4,665 miles away, but I visited the Colorado Railroad Museum today. The first photo shows how our American colleagues do valve gear and the second shows a group of early-stage P2s, en-masse, at the Buffalo Bill museum.

Tim

Somewhat to my surprise, the valve gear seems to be mainly composed of fairly light cold pressings. That rather belies that old adage of American engineering practice "Why use a ton of steel when two tons will do?" The design looks like it could have come from a Kriegslok.

As to the collection of P2s, don't put a nail in the firebox and hit it with a hammer.

John

• RMweb Premium

Well observed John, but the combination lever doesn't take much stress: this may be a function of the Baker valve gear that was fitted to this engine: it seems to be bigger with UK engines and Walshaerts valve gear. What was not visible in this picture was the size of the connecting and coupling rods which were truly huge, with massive bearing surfaces about 10" across. It was a Chicago Burlington & Quincy 4-8-4.

Tim

More progress on the cattle pens.  All three are now assembled as a unit and are cleaned up ready for painting.  A fair bit of fettling was required to get the sections to fit together properly, but once i had done one, i knew what to do with the rest.  i also had to use some low melt solder to fill in gaps where the angled sections met the posts, but I knew that would be necessarry.

post-25077-0-52332000-1455885532_thumb.jpg

They are still sitting in the card jig and the next step will be to use the jig as a template for drilling the holes in the cattle landing.  I want to make sure they fit before I paint the pens so that they don't have to be handled too much after painting.

Jim

• Like 6

The holes have been drilled in the livestock landing and the pens fitted in place.  There will be a sleeper fence between the landing and the road in the foreground and across the road, behind a wall and on the backscene, will be the market.

post-25077-0-71276900-1456000175_thumb.jpg

Only two foreign cattle trucks available at present, but 2 CR 1870 ones are under constructions while the paint on the pens dries.

Jim

• Like 13

The pens are now painted and fixed in place.  They still need a bit of limewash splashed about!  Standing in front of them are the two, as yet unpainted, 1870 cattle trucks.  The left hand one is in the original condition with the ends open at the top while the other one has the later boarded-in ends.

post-25077-0-79042000-1456175629_thumb.jpg

post-25077-0-00004400-1456175648_thumb.jpg

Jim

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The holes have been drilled in the livestock landing and the pens fitted in place.  There will be a sleeper fence between the landing and the road in the foreground and across the road, behind a wall and on the backscene, will be the market.

attachicon.gif3 cattle pens #2.jpg

Only two foreign cattle trucks available at present, but 2 CR 1870 ones are under constructions while the paint on the pens dries.

Jim

By foreign, Mr Watt, I assume that you are referring to 'Down South' or worse, those unspeakable people from the Sou'West.

Actually I haven't a clue where they might originate from as I get a little vague when it comes to cattle trucks as the transport of meat on the hoof was a rapidly diminishing source of traffic in the days of the nationalised railway. Would you care to enlighten me and broaden my knowledge?

Hope to see you on Friday at the SECC.

David

PS Nice work on the pens. Bit different from the usual sort.

Edited by DavidLong

By foreign, Mr Watt, I assume that you are referring to 'Down South' or worse, those unspeakable people from the Sou'West.

Actually I haven't a clue where they might originate from as I get a little vague when it comes to cattle trucks as the transport of meat on the hoof was a rapidly diminishing source of traffic in the days of the nationalised railway. Would you care to enlighten me and broaden my knowledge?

Hope to see you on Friday at the SECC.

David

PS Nice work on the pens. Bit different from the usual sort.

Thanks, David.

The two vehicles in question are GCR and MR, purely because there were kits available for them!  So, no, not from 'the enemy', or 'the competition' (NB) for that matter! :no:

I'll be at Model Rail Friday and Saturday on the Roadshow, if all goes according to plan!

Jim

Hi guys just thought I'd post up 2 of the coke kits I've nearly finished

I'm new to 2mm but really loving building the kits

post-5078-0-17661500-1456523546_thumb.jpg

They need a clean up and finishing

I have a soft spot for these wagons I want a rake of 12-15 wagons I think I'll try one with solid ends and raved sides aswell

I think with a nice weathered class31 on the front

Thanks

Brian

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys just thought I'd post up 2 of the coke kits I've nearly finished

I'm new to 2mm but really loving building the kits

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

They need a clean up and finishing

I have a soft spot for these wagons I want a rake of 12-15 wagons I think I'll try one with solid ends and raved sides aswell

I think with a nice weathered class31 on the front

Thanks

Brian

very nice  although a bit modern for my tastes

Thanks Nick

I'm really looking forward to building all kinds of stuff,I'm impressed with how good the 2mm association is with what bits and kits are available

And the 2mm modelling is something else, on this thread alone there's some lovely top draw modelling

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Not on the workbench (which got rather muddy on Boxing Day) as such, but a new design I thought I might as well work on until the kitchen (workshop) is useable again.

L & Y 0-8-0 GA 2016 feb 04.docx

L & Y 0-8-0 GA 2016 feb 04.doc

Not sure if this has worked as intended. I seem to have done something wrong with the files!

Nig H

Edited by Nig H
  • Like 3

A quick progress update on the St Ruth branch home signal. The route indicator has had a full complement of LEDs for a while now but I don't think that I've put a photo on here so I took two today - one of the component parts and one of the whole thing loosely assembled and fed with some electricity.

It's not a perfect rendition of the real thing but a compromise between making it as dark as possible when unlit, readable when lit and diffusing the LED to give a reasonable spread of illumination of one (and only one) indication. Ideally it should not be possible to read the letters when the thing is unlit but I haven't quite managed that.

post-9623-0-94424600-1457124446_thumb.jpgpost-9623-0-44982200-1457124453_thumb.jpg

Finally a shot of the signal itself. The ladders and railings are going on now so hopefully soon I can unite the route indicator with the rest of the signal. The signal lamp feed goes up the ladder to the top platform which is insulated from everything else. The route indicator will be fed via three enameled wires which will be routed down the post on the side that is least visible to viewers.

post-9623-0-32101900-1457124463_thumb.jpg

Regards, Andy

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Not on the workbench (which got rather muddy on Boxing Day) as such, but a new design I thought I might as well work on until the kitchen (workshop) is useable again.

attachicon.gifL & Y 0-8-0 GA 2016 feb 04.docx

attachicon.gifL & Y 0-8-0 GA 2016 feb 04.doc

Not sure if this has worked as intended. I seem to have done something wrong with the files!

I think that a certain Nick Mitchell may be rather interested in this one . . .

David

Nig H

Edited by DavidLong

Another couple of wagons off my trial etch sheet.

post-25077-0-04418100-1457219193_thumb.jpg

A pair of CR Dia 22 8T mineral wagons, one with dumb buffers and one with spindle buffers.  The dumb buffered one was built over Friday and Saturday at Model Rail last week end.  Unfortunately the underframe for it needed quite a bit of fettling, resulting in the artwork requiring several modifications.  I'll have to get another trial etch done of it, just to be on the safe side.

Jim

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

back in December 2013 I posted my first attempt at the KESR railcar chassis as usual it was a failure :nono:

I rebuilt it to double axle drive but it was still quiet honestly rubbish however having read Ian Morgan success on using skids I thought I would give it a go.  Amazing the difference this makes its now controllable and reasonably running if a trifle noisy.   Now to tidy up the body work.  Was surprise how easily it handled the etched brass 207 Driving trailer

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 1

My 2mm workbench has had an unexpected visitor: me! Trying to finally finish off the Jinty I started over two years ago. Got the brakes on side number 2 (why that took so long I have no idea), stripped off the badly applied paint, made some replacement coal rails. etc. The coal rails are two lengths of 0.008" pb wire soldered to a bit of brass strip. All was well until I tried to put the corners in, so that will need to be redone. I've also been experimenting with weathering some Farish PO wagons to represent nationalised ex-PO wagons. I'm also trying to come up with a plan for a small 2mm layout. I'll start a separate thread on that eventually.

IMG_8080_zpszb6yyyvo.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I rebuilt it to double axle drive but it was still quiet honestly rubbish however having read Ian Morgan success on using skids I thought I would give it a go.

Prototype for everything. Look at Post 36 on this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96638-new-zealand-railways-and-preservation-whats-there/page-2&do=findComment&comment=2233748

They look a lot like skids in front of the front wheels to me :declare:

Edited by Ian Morgan
  • Like 2

The penultimate item on my trial etch sheet is a 4 wheel horse drawn delivery lorry, from a drawing by John Boyle  of a Wordie & Co one (they were the CR's carriers).

post-25077-0-85156700-1457722441_thumb.jpg

post-25077-0-23116200-1457722452_thumb.jpg

The 5p Coin will give you an idea of the size.  Not sure who the horse comes from.  I have a wee bag with 6 or so in it.  I had to open out the shafts slightly to get them round it.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 7

My first attempt in scratch building a chassis for a 2-4-0 (a Canada Works locomotive):

gallery_11426_3848_157005.jpg

gallery_11426_3848_336022.jpg

gallery_11426_3848_361131.jpg

One stage gear reduction, 38:1. I would say good enough for this engine as the prototype was used for passenger trains only, with no such jobs as shunting.

I don't think I am ever going to even start the body though...

Edited by Valentin
  • Like 6