Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium

A little progress on Line No20 infrastructure

Windpumps a scalelink item although too large really for a Stephens railway.

The watertower support and waiting hut  ( station building is to grand a term  :fool: ) laser cut from 0.8mm ply  

Probably will rework the platform 

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 6

Last couple of wagons off my trial etch sheet. The centre door version of the 7T 'bogie' and a Dia 15 8T dropside.

post-25077-0-77654600-1458512198_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I put the fold lines between the floor and sides and ends of the 'bogie' on the wrong side of the etch, so the body sits a little high on the underframe.   :fool:

The Dia 15 is dimensionaly similar to the Dia 24 open I did earlier (post #1226 on this thread), but this time i built it with the 2 shoe brake gear instead of the earlier 1 shoe (both wagons can be built with either form).

Jim

• Like 8

My 4mm Edwardian models seem to have changed to post war 2mm models. :scratchhead:

In typical fashion, nothing is finished yet.

I have a BR Brake van from the 2mm Association kit.

IMG_8134_zpspjlxrmq1.jpg

IMG_8135_zpsezruabfa.jpg

A 10' wb underframe. I, of course, forgot to order brake cylinders with my recent order. :no:

IMG_8136_zps5n7i4t7p.jpg

With the van body on top.

IMG_8137_zpsmncyvymq.jpg

3 Farish PO wagons that I'm trying to turn into ex-PO wagons

IMG_8138_zpsizvy48kq.jpg

Wagons and brake van

IMG_8139_zpsfhkas7or.jpg

And finally, a GNR 8 wheel brake van for Copenhagen Fields

IMG_8140_zpsrhciud3p.jpg

IMG_8141_zpsaznwhidc.jpg

Having now shared my 2mm efforts I'll probably get distracted by 4mm again. Hopefully I'll finish these soon though.

• Like 12

Guest bri.s

My 4mm Edwardian models seem to have changed to post war 2mm models. :scratchhead:

In typical fashion, nothing is finished yet.

I have a BR Brake van from the 2mm Association kit.

IMG_8134_zpspjlxrmq1.jpg

IMG_8135_zpsezruabfa.jpg

A 10' wb underframe. I, of course, forgot to order brake cylinders with my recent order. :no:

IMG_8136_zps5n7i4t7p.jpg

With the van body on top.

IMG_8137_zpsmncyvymq.jpg

3 Farish PO wagons that I'm trying to turn into ex-PO wagons

IMG_8138_zpsizvy48kq.jpg

Wagons and brake van

IMG_8139_zpsfhkas7or.jpg

And finally, a GNR 8 wheel brake van for Copenhagen Fields

IMG_8140_zpsrhciud3p.jpg

IMG_8141_zpsaznwhidc.jpg

Having now shared my 2mm efforts I'll probably get distracted by 4mm again. Hopefully I'll finish these soon though.

Lovely work ,I've been thinking about getting one of those brakevan kits and you've done it very nicely think ill order a couple next time

I order

Thanks

Brian

• RMweb Premium

A little more progress on Line No20

Platform remade  in 0.8mm ply some fences and the watertank (ratio) fixed, I'm really pleased at the progress  :imsohappy:

At this rate should be running trains by summer :no:

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I've resumed work on the N-Brass Peckett and there'll be a blog update in due course but here's a taster of it looking a bit more like a locomotive.  A few fittings added make all the difference.

post-7249-0-07637900-1459292181_thumb.jpg

Mark

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

With thoughts of needing a controller I have been playing  around using a  Ardunio  running DCC++  with a JMRI interface. 

shown here driving my still unfinished class 207 (you need the sound on for this clip)

next up get the Android phone throttle running and then back to Line No20

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 3

Hopefully not too late for Gareth's brake van build...

Check the position of the roof fittings against a drawing. I filled some of the etched holes and drilled new ones on mine. Also there should be an extra hand hold high up on one side only near the ducket. Easy to miss if you work from a photo of the other side.

Regards, Andy

With thoughts of needing a controller I have been playing  around using a  Ardunio  running DCC++  with a JMRI interface. 

shown here driving my still unfinished class 207 (you need the sound on for this clip)

next up get the Android phone throttle running and then back to Line No20

Nice one,

I dabbled with Picaxe's for a while and even made a start with a using one to control a sound chip loaded with diesel engine recordings as a cheap man version of dc sound,

I'd be interested to know how you use the Ardunio as a dcc interface.

And showing my ignorance, what's dcc++?

And final question, what motor are you using in the 207

Edited by StuartM

Hopefully not too late for Gareth's brake van build...

Check the position of the roof fittings against a drawing. I filled some of the etched holes and drilled new ones on mine. Also there should be an extra hand hold high up on one side only near the ducket. Easy to miss if you work from a photo of the other side.

Regards, Andy

Thank you. Luckily the van is still exactly as pictured.

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2016 at 14:55, StuartM said:

Nice one,

I dabbled with Picaxe's for a while and even made a start with a using one to control a sound chip loaded with diesel engine recordings as a cheap man version of dc sound,

I'd be interested to know how you use the Ardunio as a dcc interface.

And showing my ignorance, what's dcc++?

And final question, what motor are you using in the 207

DCC++ is best explored via this link http://https://sites.google.com/site/dccppsite/home  the hardware is really cheap via a certain auction site if ordered from the far East and less than £20 if ordered from UK suppliers.  It does not require a PHD in programming to get working just follow the example videos   must be easy I got it to work  :scratchhead:   You can even emulate the whole program in JMRI without any hardware

The chip in the 207 is  cheap digitrax sound one and yes I know they are better but its 1/3 of the price.    For the motor I followed my prefered route for DEMU/EMU which is to use the power car from a Farish 101 railcar  ( I picked up several of the express parcels sets when they where on offer which gave me two power units per set )  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66512-n-gauge-lswr-3-sub/page-4   shows the idea on Marks superb build of a 3 Sub

from there  I use the drop in wheels replacements for the 101/108 even if a bit underscale although test with 7mm version looked promising

let me know if you need any more info

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Little while since I have reported anything on the P2 - working on CF and getting the traction engine ready for its steam test have got in the way a bit.

I made the off-side union link with forked joints as per the LHS and was offering it up to the combination lever and valve spindle when the latter went into orbit: worryingly, I didn't hear it land. So I completely cleaned up the workbench - a job long overdue - and still couldn't find it. After an hours drilling and filing its replacement was made and fettled with the union link. Worth noting that this time I left a great big handle on it and also that the stainless steel was taken to red heat to blacken it.

I have been having thoughts on how to make the expansion link - it will require some tricky fabricating and soldering. I have a stainless steel etch, which might be a good starting point.

Tim

post-13388-0-47167000-1459793212_thumb.jpeg

......... the latter went into orbit: worryingly, I didn't hear it land. So I completely cleaned up the workbench - a job long overdue - and still couldn't find it. .......

Yep!  Been there, done that.  Many a time and oft!!!   :dontknow:

Jim

• RMweb Premium

First sod being cut at Paisley St James in the very near future

Templot here, post-89-0-10760100-1459986270_thumb.png, with Underwood Yard still to be added top right

1 short siding that has appeared between the 1912 OS Map and the photos from 1948

Here: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/saw017828

and: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/saw017831

Templot plan is currently temporarily attached to some 3 mm ply, and first copperclad will go down at the weekend, with some rail hitting the board next week.

Now I have to keep up the pace as I have committed to this on the forum.

You will all have to keep the pressure on, believe me!

Regards

Ian

Edit Sp

Edited by Landlord
  • Like 1

A mundane snap from Parkend...

B741B582-443A-4E93-A095-5BB76A784254_zps

...and a slightly less arty one.

C5EF04C9-0099-4F30-8B6B-37F49850CA2C_zps

Pix

Nice. But why has that car got no rear window? Probably been vandalised. As those of us from the rest of Gloucestershire always say, "they're funny folk down the Forest"

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

Nice. But why has that car got no rear window? Probably been vandalised. As those of us from the rest of Gloucestershire always say, "they're funny folk down the Forest"

Chris

I'm more concerned they're driving on the wrong side of the road. Maybe they've had a scoop too many in the Fountain Inn?

Pix

• RMweb Premium

While on the subject of vehicles, I am currently working on a couple of 'Oxford' Bedford OB coaches to be pressed into service on the Isle of Wight. One has been completely repainted to the well known 'Southern Vectis' livery, while the other has been adapted from the 'Grey Green' livery to the less familiar 'West Wight Bus Co' that would have served Freshwater. A chap called Philip Paine created the beautiful transfers - the general manager's name address panels can be read using a magnifying glass.

post-11458-0-26931700-1460032787_thumb.jpg

post-11458-0-21088800-1460032798_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I'm more concerned they're driving on the wrong side of the road. Maybe they've had a scoop too many in the Fountain Inn?

Pix

Perhaps because if they drive on the correct side it looks like they will fall off the edge of the world. Which is a serious worry down in the Forest.

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A mundane snap from Parkend...

...and a slightly less arty one.

Pix

That is looking fantastic. Awesome stuff!

Tom. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I made the P2 expansion links today. They basically needed a 0.3 mm diameter valve gear pin on the outside arm to act as a pivot for the link itself, leaving the other arm free for the slotted radius rod to move on. It will probably stay in full forward gear as the engine will most likely be seen climbing Holloway Bank.

The stainless steel etchings made life easy and the pin was silver soldered in the middle (photos show the links sitting on the carbon block), before folding up the etch. Once folded, all the joints were beefed up with some silver solder. To be accurate, there should be three layers, but I think two will suffice....

Tim

post-13388-0-04385100-1460326494_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-91829600-1460326510_thumb.jpeg

post-13388-0-98218900-1460326524_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1

Banana Vans - Fencehouses etches.

Two are almost complete but have been for several years. I seem to have lost the remains of the etches that contained the end vents for these two vehicles. I'll probably fabricate some from plastic sheet for these two. 

Four chassis have been finished off in the last couple of days, axleboxes fabricated and fitted and brake levers added. Again these have been in started and then stored for some considerable time. I have now moved onto the bodies for these four and hope to complete this task this week. These are nicely designed allowing the majority of the metalwork to be overlaid and sweated onto the main body in two easy blocks.

Then there are three untouched etches; bodies and chassis, to be started once the initial six are ready for the paintshop.