Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Guest Natalie Graham

Simple?

Yes, although you do need to work carefully. It is accuracy that is needed not complication. Something like a piece of thickish section half inch angle squared off accurately at the end and then cut to slightly over length, say 9mm. Then, carefully and patiently, keeping the file square to the material, file it down to the back to back dimension checking frequently with the vernier as you go, removing any high spots and being careful not to go below the desired measurement anywhere. Cut a slot in the centre if you need to clear gear wheels on driven axles. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes, although you do need to work carefully. It is accuracy that is needed not complication. Something like a piece of thickish section half inch angle squared off accurately at the end and then cut to slightly over length, say 9mm. Then, carefully and patiently, keeping the file square to the material, file it down to the back to back dimension checking frequently with the vernier as you go, removing any high spots and being careful not to go below the desired measurement anywhere. Cut a slot in the centre if you need to clear gear wheels on driven axles. 

I had a suspicion that this may be the method to which you were referring, Natalie. The problem (challenge?) for me after forty years or more of such activity is my continuing inability to file anything square and level, hence my recommendation for use of the vernier lest anyone else has a similar difficulty to me. So in my case I would have recourse to the Unimat which I would have done had Stephen not, unprompted, completed the task for me!

David

Here's one I prepared earlier - still running on the N-gauge chassis.

post-18048-0-85489700-1359124638_thumb.j

No 1506 0-6-0T ‘Saddle Tank’ c.1922 An antique tank engine – many were later converted to panniers.

Built 1878 Withdrawn 1937

Buried under this model is a Farish ‘pannier’. The mechanism has a replacement worm and worm wheel set, giving an improved reduction ratio of 21:1 instead of the original 16:1. A new keeper plate is made from copper clad PCB, with phosphor bronze wire pickups. Brake gear, sand boxes and guard irons are fitted. After separating the superstructure, all the boiler fittings are filed off to leave a flat top. To this is araldited a nice fat sheet of nickel silver, Then the whole lump is ground and filed down to the correct profile, checked with a simple metal gauge running on the footplate. The footplate itself is shortened slightly and new smokebox and boiler fittings are added. A new old-style cab and bunker is formed of sheet metal.

John,

It was your 1501 class that Jerry originally pointed me at, and is hence the inspiration for my 1854 class conversion.

GWR 1854 Class - Chassis Progress

Following a complete strip down of the 57xx chassis, and a re-build so that the frames were narrower (to allow me to get the back-to-back on the wheel sets), the whole has been re-assembled using a new Back-to-Back gauge that I turned up to be 8.55mm (a happy medium between the 8.51 and 8.61 figures quoted by Chris Higgs).  For a little while I wondered whether I had destroyed the chassis in the process!!

Below is a link to a short video of me running it in on the end of a mini-drill (the BtB gauge can be seen in the background).

Now I need to fit the Nigel Lawton motor into the 1mm ID bush that has been fitted in the worm - I assume that careful application of super glue is the standard method of doing this sort of thing.  I will also dribble a drop or two of super glue into the vent hole drilled in the axle muffs to fix the quartering, and fit the crankpin washers before I try to tackle the brake gear.

• Like 2

I fit the bush in the worm, as you have done, and then slide it onto the motor shaft and hold it whilst in place while I apply a couple of drops of super glue in the end of the tube onto the end of the shaft. I use the deluxe materials tips and tube and it allows small drops like this to be dispensed with accuracy.

A slight diversion from signals tonight! All this snow around has reignited my long held desire to model a winter scene, and for sometime I have been on the lookout for a suitable material to represent a light to moderate snowfall. In the past I've tried the white emulsion method used on Hudson Lane by Jon Grant, but I felt that looked a little too flat, lacking the sparkle you see in fresh snow, and most of the proprietary snow you can buy is hugely over scale.

Whilst browsing around the interweb for ideas, baking soda was mentioned as a method fovoured in Armour modelling circles. The typical method seems to be a mix of PVA & soda spread over the groundwork, but I wondered if I might be able to use Kleer in the same manner I have for fixing ballast in place on Ropley. This method seems to have worked quite well when tested out on the plank of many uses:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Anyway, random diversion over, back to finials!

Tom,

• 3 weeks later...

A trip to Blighty resulted in my picking up of several orders from my Niece's house - Shops 1 and 2, Squires, C&L and Eileen's.  I have now started to make the jigs in the Track Book.

Hacksawing the railstands from plug earths was easy until I changed the blade and found my new blades were too narrow. 

However, my attempt at the track gauge was not a success.  I marked the gauge using a button gauge, but my attempts at filing to the required degree of accuracy were unsuccessful - I'll move on and get back to that later.

• RMweb Premium

Finally finished the D48 Mighty Mo  running quite well now on DC ( we will not discuss the DCC problem)  its  will  pull and push 4 wagons with out problem  :locomotive:

Very happy with the custom name  plate from Narrow Planet 

Knowing how much bcnpete  sorry  lgwpete likes green CEP's thought i would pose one on its 3rd rail by MM    :jester:

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 3

As part of a plan to get a number of long-term workbench/gloat box projects finished, I ordered some 2mm scale 3d printed buffers from Shapeways.

post-8055-0-12345300-1362094089.jpg

These little marvels (which are rather difficult to photograph) are GWR self-contained buffers designed by Julia (Missy in Rmweb-land) and available to all and sundry to purchase via Shapeways here.

The plan is that once I've finished gluing and soldering bits onto the wagons then I can christen the airbrush I was given for Christmas about 2 yrs ago(!) and get some wagons finished and ready to play trains with!

Andy

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

As part of a plan to get a number of long-term workbench/gloat box projects finished, I ordered some 2mm scale 3d printed buffers from Shapeways.

attachicon.gifbuffers.jpg

These little marvels (which are rather difficult to photograph) are GWR self-contained buffers designed by Julia (Missy in Rmweb-land) and available to all and sundry to purchase via Shapeways here.

The plan is that once I've finished gluing and soldering bits onto the wagons then I can christen the airbrush I was given for Christmas about 2 yrs ago(!) and get some wagons finished and ready to play trains with!

Andy

They look great Andy - Julia is a fantastically talented modeller. Get those wagons finished and bring them along to York (or Nottingham next month)

Jerry

• Like 1

They look great Andy - Julia is a fantastically talented modeller. Get those wagons finished and bring them along to York (or Nottingham next month)

Jerry

That sounds like a challenge Jerry - I'll do my best! I'll be on the 2mm Roadshow at both Nottingham and York so will see you there (I'd forgotten you were taking Tucking Mill there).

Andy

Now, this is very spooky. I popped in here to post the following and put a comment that it'd be nice if there were some pukka GWR self container buffers out there and, low and behold, there's some waiting for me to purchase! With the Dapol 22 on the horizon thrown into the mixture, Christmas has come very, very early!

So, with a now-solved buffer problem, here's a Bryn-designed Herring built by moi from what i think will be the final etch.

710d7adf5053cc4435a608e0fd9f67a8.jpg

Lovely model to builds and I even managed to get some transfers printed at work today. Cheers Bryn!

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to try and avoid it. There were a whole lot of highly tempting things when I pressed the Model Trains button on Shapeways.

Chris

You're right there - I just managed to stop myself ordering a couple of  DR 99's in 1:120th. The bucket excavator may be a done deal, though.

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Ray Fricker was, interestingly enough, someone who moved from 7mm scale to 2mm scale as he got older. Just remember to quote that next time you get the old "ooh, my eyesight couldn't deal with that. I don't know how you see it" Grrrr

David (who will do his best to restrain himself at York at Easter . . .)

Edited by DavidLong
  • Like 4