Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Cor, you're a flatterer, Missy!  Actually I'd be really up for it, but time is the current enemy as I'm committed to have an layout built for the ScaleSeven Group's Challenge 33 by October next year. I've got a pile of bits for both an S Scale and S132 projects, but if inspiration hit hard enough a 2mm project could easily leapfrog both of those.

Seeing Saxted again stirs the waters that's for sure, and I've just seen David Eveleigh's link from the 2mm Soc site. His etches for a GER K9 loco and various carriages/NPCS are all a bit tempting.

Oh he does more etches than those now (the J15, J70 and J67/J69 listed as 'in development' are now available for starters). I can pm you a more recent list if you'd like... ;)

Talking of the GER, I found out recently that my newly discovered enthusiasm for it may have some family history to it....

post-8055-0-57221000-1362824694_thumb.jpg

The chap on the right is my maternal grandfather, who worked at Neasden (GC) shed (which we think is where the photo was taken).

Andy

• Like 4

Oh he does more etches than those now (the J15, J70 and J67/J69 listed as 'in development' are now available for starters). I can pm you a more recent list if you'd like... ;)

You know how to twist the knife.  OK, yes please PM me the more up to date list.

Talking of the GER, I found out recently that my newly discovered enthusiasm for it may have some family history to it....

The chap on the right is my maternal grandfather, who worked at Neasden (GC) shed (which we think is where the photo was taken).

Very interesting photo. I wonder what 1900 was doing over at Neasden.

Edited by Buckjumper
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You know how to twist the knife.  OK, yes please PM me the more up to date list.

Don't let my Association colleagues (n'er-do-wells, the lot of 'em . . . ) start persuading you away from working on Basilica Fields, Adrian. I want to see it finished and it is a thirty year project and I'm 61 now. Do the maths :no:

Mmm, on the other hand you could do a lot more of the East End in 2mm scale . . .

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very nice, Nick. What is the origin of the coach and the outside-framed vans?

Andy

Andy

the coach is a Etched Pixel / Ultima LSWR 4 wheel etched body running on a scratch ( association w irons) under-frame which looked right for a Colonels railway

the middle and left hand van are N Gauge kits on 2mm chassis while the right hand is a  Gramodels  resin body on association chassis  

I have also have  a Gramodels ventilated van almost finished awaiting buffers / couplings along with a  few other bits    :scared:

Speaking with Graham of gramodels at Folkestone last year he will consider resin commissions always liked the SECR round end wagons although I can not justify 20 of them  any takers   :scratchhead:

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 1

Nice stuff Nick - you might want to tweak the transfers on the 16T and 7-plank on the right hand side of the lower photo, the wagon numbers should be on the left of the wagon and the tare weights on the right.

Pix

Speaking with Graham of gramodels at Folkestone last year he will consider resin commissions always liked the SECR round end wagons although I can not justify 20 of them  any takers   :scratchhead:

I'd certainly be interested in some if they went ahead. Is he really happy to only do a run of 20?

Gareth

• RMweb Premium

Nice stuff Nick - you might want to tweak the transfers on the 16T and 7-plank on the right hand side of the lower photo, the wagon numbers should be on the left of the wagon and the tare weights on the right.

Pix

:cry:  :cry: which goes to show how little I know about BR wagons 

I'd certainly be interested in some if they went ahead. Is he really happy to only do a run of 20?

Gareth

that what I was told and is printed in his catalogue I will ask the questions and we shall see 
Edited by nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2013 at 18:31, Pixie said:

Don't worry Nick, even the RTR lads have made the same slip up - http://www.ehattons.com/57728/Dapol_2F_038_006_20_Ton_steel_mineral_wagon_BR_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

Pix

Pix glad you pointed that out as I was going to leave them  anyway  :lazy:

Still a few more wagon and coaches finished except for couplings this weekend  in between wire the layout  :slow:

and now for something silly 

So what have my fellow 2mm modellers been upto ?   :dontknow:

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 6

So what have my fellow 2mm modellers been upto ? :dontknow:

Nothing, except consuming tasty things and navigating the occasional lock. Bliss.

8cbd558728493cccf50ebdbdc6b144e4.jpg

And now to prepare for the crash back to reality of work tomorrow morning. Hmph.

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 8

Soldering TOUs and rewiring track. Pretty boring stuff but essential to get the foundations right. I also paid for a PSU for a lathe but am now in the process of a claim through the card company :-(

The box van looks nice. Is that gramodels too? I'd be interested in pre grouping wagons as long as they are sized accurately (ie not compromised dimensionally to fit commercial chassis) and they have the strapping and rivet detail the we're used to on a plastic moulding.

After the inspiration of helping to operate Copenhagen Fields the other weekend, over this weekend I've finally got my Association Jinty chassis working well (if not perfectly) and have fitted the sandboxes and brake rigging.

post-3740-0-51481700-1364854255_thumb.jpg

It did run pretty much perfectly before I painted it, but on re-attaching the body, it then seemed the worm was having trouble meshing. A bit of fettling of the gearbox assembly has got it running perfectly in one direction, if less so in the other. It seems that in the "forward" direction the worm is getting much more thrust forward from the motor than in reverse, which I think is one the things people were saving when cautioning against fitting worms directly to coreless motors. I'm loathed to tinker too much more, but perhaps a good amount of running in will sort it. (i'm also avoiding soldering on washers to retain the connecting rods - hence the cable sleeve. Any advice on this?

Either way, the Jinty was just a practice piece really - at least its given me the confidence to make a fresh start on the Bob Jones J72 that I mangeled before!

Justin

• Like 3

With the Nigel Lawton motors at least the worm rapidly tears the motor apart (oops.. guess how I know) so you need to have something to take the thrust each end of the worm - eg washers and metal pieces secured to the chassis.

Alan

This has just left my workbench and now I am working on the "Fence Houses Model Foundry" Universal 0-6-0 Chassis (8' + 8'6" w/b for 10mm dia. wheels):

IMG_20130402_101555_zpse5208075.jpg

And my work proves that the quartering is not an easy job as I thought after successfully quartering my first 0-6-0 chassis (Association's J94 / Austerity replacement chassis).

• Like 2

Trying to work out how to build the 2mm scale etches I picked-up at the Ally Pally show from BH Enterprises - I'm determined that they won't lurk in the gloat box for ever! They're remaining stock from some that David Lidgate (ex-Kestral/Kestrel Models) got shot down from Jidenco kits many years ago.

First off the stocks will be a LNWR chemical pan trolley and an LMS cement hopper. The LSWR horsebox and LMS prize cattle vans will have to wait for me to design a chassis etch to suit (I have no intention of trying to use the chassis included in the kits!)

Andy